North Korea threatens US with a pre-emptive nuclear strike.

Soldato
The US want to stop NK developing its nuclear program's any further, should NK gain the ability to mount a nuke into a missile which could reach the US then the situation changes totally, better to deal with it now.

Similar will happen in Iran.

Thats the obvious answer, but is that actually it?

WMDs all over again?

Caporegime
OK, lots of countries have nuclear weapons or carried out nuclear tests, why is NK being singled out?

Because the leader is a nutter.

The situation is a little more complex than that, one of the main threats is NK exporting the technology and it getting into the wrong hands, which has reportedly already happened.

The US has an agreement with SK to help protect it iirc.

Last edited:
Associate
Kim Jong-un and the rest of the family have always had a problem that one of sons is gay so and are so scared of being gay themselves they have to act all bravado all the time.

If they all came out of the closet everything would be fine.

Soldato
What would the USA actually be able to do as a response??

If Kurt Russell was in LA at the time they could commission the most epic reality TV series in history :D

OK, lots of countries have nuclear weapons or carried out nuclear tests, why is NK being singled out?

One of the reasons NK gets such a hard time is that defeating NK, either economically (sanctions forcing a revolution in NK and the new government being "good guys") or militarily is quite valuable to a US government as a PR tool because Korea was the first big war that America "didn't win"* and so they would love the PR boost from being the government in power when one of the countries America didn't beat finally goes down.

*not to be confused with losing, America has never done that, Korea and Vietnam were simply didn't wins.

Last edited:
Soldato
They had war games in 2010 and its airforce was a farce with crashes, collisions and WW2 bombing precision. Their forces are lots of people and little else. The chances of them doing an airburst over LA are....slim.

They may be .

But,

Missile plus EMP bomb is not impossible with DPRK's current tech. I think it might well be what they are working towards. (The relatively low yield devices demonstrated thus far seem to point towards it One "Dud" is a mistake. Consistently producing low yield nuclear explosions is actually quite tricky!)

The problem is how would (Could?) the USA respond?

Although lots of people are joking about it, a Nuclear strike on NK is completely out of the question! Any large scale conventional attack would also be politically very difficult.

"Defeating" NK conventionally would likely require killing Millions of north Korean people! (Both civilian and military)

I really do have the feeling that DPRK has something of an advantage here!

How they are hoping to make use of it will remain to be seen!

(Very much a case of "watch this space!")

Soldato
You have to wonder, I know they're brainwashed by the personality cult, but do the military leaders ever just think to themselves that all their rhetoric is embarrassing? You know, there they are inspecting their crumbling soviet era military equipment and at the same time watching those B2 Spirits do what they do.

Soldato
You have to wonder, I know they're brainwashed by the personality cult, but do the military leaders ever just think to themselves that all their rhetoric is embarrassing? You know, there they are inspecting their crumbling soviet era military equipment and at the same time watching those B2 Spirits do what they do.

I doubt they really care at all what they look like to the outside world as they live like gods within their own little real fantasy world :o

Soldato

And the people who are leading this potential mess in NK are responsible for that.

So you think NK leaders are nutters, does the issues at Gitmo seem like something that a balanced/reasonable nation should allow?

Man of Honour
They may be .

But,

Missile plus EMP bomb is not impossible with DPRK's current tech. I think it might well be what they are working towards. (The relatively low yield devices demonstrated thus far seem to point towards it One "Dud" is a mistake. Consistently producing low yield nuclear explosions is actually quite tricky!)

The problem is how would (Could?) the USA respond?

Although lots of people are joking about it, a Nuclear strike on NK is completely out of the question! Any large scale conventional attack would also be politically very difficult.

"Defeating" NK conventionally would likely require killing Millions of north Korean people! (Both civilian and military)

I really do have the feeling that DPRK has something of an advantage here!

How they are hoping to make use of it will remain to be seen!

(Very much a case of "watch this space!")

Nothing is out of the question if you attack the US not least if you use a nuclear weapon I assure you. They would not hesitate using nuclear or even chemical if they were attacked first, they have made that clear on several occasions.

Modern battles are all about tech, it only gets challenging when it becomes gorilla and a big attack would see NK lose big. You can what if until you're blue in the face, I don't think it would happen personally.

Associate
Nothing is out of the question if you attack the US not least if you use a nuclear weapon I assure you. They would not hesitate using nuclear or even chemical if they were attacked first, they have made that clear on several occasions.

Modern battles are all about tech, it only gets challenging when it becomes gorilla and a big attack would see NK lose big. You can what if until you're blue in the face, I don't think it would happen personally.

US will never us a nuclear strike on a region where the fallout will affect either allies, or China, this is out of the question.

Caporegime
The political fallout would be just as bad as the environmental. I don't think the US would use any sized nuclear weapons unless in retaliation.

That's what we are talking about, if NK somehow managed to strike the US mainland or a US base, they would have quite a solid basis to throw one back.

If Russia threw a missile at us then I'd fully expect a nuclear retaliation, that's the whole point of operating the system we do, you have the deterrent, then means of retaliation from a source which is basically undetectable.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom