North Korea threatens US with a pre-emptive nuclear strike.

I would even go so far as to say that IF china were to invade the north, the south and north might even put their troubles aside and work together to push them out.

losing half a country to your own people is one thing..losing it to a foreign country is something else :/

You've read about the 1st Korean war then?

I'd love to see it kick off, can't beat a good war. However i do feel for all the innocent civilians and troops that will get caught up in this mad mans cry for attention.

Normally that's the biggest concern in any war.

In this case... While tens of thousands would certainly die, part of me can't help but feel that NKs citizens would be better off in the long term. The current regime has hundreds of thousands of people in concentration camp style work camps (often as punishment for their fathers or grandfathers sins), from which they will never escape. Millions more are starving, all are cut off from outside contact.

Even with the ravages of war it's hard to see how things could get much worse.

There are different levels of control.

I don't think that anybody (apart from China of course!) want to see North Korea be directly annexed into China. But, the level of influence that China has in the North could be open to discussion.

If China is the chief administrator of a post-war NK it will have a free hand to influence the political structure, trade agreements etc. This will put China in a very strong position politically, in much the same way that the US has a strong hand in SK.

There is nothing to say that this kind of approach can't go hand in hand with a much more open border between North and South. You would know better than me (and correct me if I'm wrong), but from what I understand the people of SK primarily want to be able to travel to the North, visit estranged family, trade with the North etc? This could still be achieved while retaining a strong Chinese influence in the North.

I dont know better than you mate :o this is all just our own opinions..but yes, they want to be reuinted because they still see themselves as one people.

I do think youre overestimating the influence the US has in SK. Id say its on the same level of influence that they have over the UK.

I dont know...i cant really see them being able to come to an agreement to give control of half the country to china. in fact thats exactly what happened the first time round and they still havent got the north part back :o

Basically, the Chinese did invade during the first war. The North were OK with it.

Sorry Balddog I've given up caffeine today and am therefore being a ****.

Ah..yes but they didnt invade the north against the north...if that makes sense :o they invaded to help kim il sung and the north when the UN forces had already taken pyeongyang and were working their way further north almost to the border with china.

I dont know better than you mate :o

I just meant - you have lived for a while in South Korea, yes? All my information comes second hand through the media. You can't compare it to someone who has lived "among the natives" so to speak.

Perhaps I am over estimating the influence the US has on SK, but yes - I would also describe the UK as being heavily influenced by the US as well (very strong military and political ties, similar 'values' and political system). The major difference is that the UK is surrounded by like-minded nations, so there isn't anywhere near the same contrast.

I just meant - you have lived for a while in South Korea, yes? All my information comes second hand through the media. You can't compare it to someone who has lived "among the natives" so to speak.

Perhaps I am over estimating the influence the US has on SK, but yes - I would also describe the UK as being heavily influenced by the US as well (very strong military and political ties, similar 'values' and political system). The major difference is that the UK is surrounded by like-minded nations, so there isn't anywhere near the same contrast.

I thought you meant influenced as in the context of government actions..Like the americans might nudge the PMs elbow and get him to change his mind on an issue or something :o i dont think they have that kind of influence.

Ah..yes but they didnt invade the north against the north...if that makes sense :o they invaded to help kim il sung and the north when the UN forces had already taken pyeongyang and were working their way further north almost to the border with china.

The Chineese sent over 300,000 troops into North Korea when pyeongyang fell because they didn't want a us controlled government, which is why I think they will take administrative control of North Korea when all this kicks off.

The Chineese sent over 300,000 troops into North Korea when pyeongyang fell because they didn't want a us controlled government, which is why I think they will take administrative control of North Korea when all this kicks off.

They didnt enter the war when pyeongyang fell, they entered when macarthur kept pushing to the yalu river. They actually reached the yalu river in fact...which is the border with china. So China had this huge UN army filled with western imperialist pig dogs pushing right up to their border.

They knew it would provoke the chinese. Churchill wanted them to stop at pyeongyang..but good ol macarthur :o

It was a hugely different situation.

Back
Top Bottom