North Korea threatens US with a pre-emptive nuclear strike.

Why is this such a frightening prospect? It may be unpalatable for some in the region, but on an international scale it is likely to result in a better outcome than leaving NK how it is or the US/SK going all out on them.

At the very least there would be stability in the region.

China acting on its own, militarily, in defiance of US interests? That would be a major, major problem for the US, and could potentially lead both sides on a path towards a second cold war.

If you ask me whether I would prefer a China-controlled NK or a NK controlled by Kim Jong Un (or equivalent despotic nutcase), then obviously China is a much better option. But for China to attempt to unilaterally annex the country? That's a different story entirely.

Even if NK used a nuclear weapon against SK or Japan (or even attempted to fire one at Guam / Hawaii / Alaska) I don't see the US responding with high-yield nukes. Quite apart from the issue of nuclear fallout it would set a terrible precedent. The military advantages would be questionable, and would inevitably lead to mass civilian casualties. It would hand a big propaganda coup to US opponents.

If NK does use a nuclear weapon, the US may feel justified in responding with a number of low-yield (<1Kt) tactical nukes. These are extremely effective in a "bunker busting" capability, taking down hardened underground facilities. NK has a lot of underground facilities, and such tactical nukes would only produce a minimal and very localised fallout

That imo, is how it would go to the letter.

At the very least there would be stability in the region.

On the contrary war in the region that left SK/US with dominance over the peninsula would just cause China to seek to redress the balance in some way. It would also make the region itself more attuned to war, wars tend to come in sets, and the whole East Asia region is potentially combustible.

China acting on its own, militarily, in defiance of US interests? That would be a major, major problem for the US, and could potentially lead both sides on a path towards a second cold war.

If you ask me whether I would prefer a China-controlled NK or a NK controlled by Kim Jong Un (or equivalent despotic nutcase), then obviously China is a much better option. But for China to attempt to unilaterally annex the country? That's a different story entirely.

Ahh, I thought you were objecting on principle to a Chinese controlled North. I suspect there will be an agreement between China, the US and SK that China can take the North and in return it will be designated as a special administrative region.

Everybody can then claim victory, and we no longer have a lunatic in control of nuclear weapons.

Ahh, I thought you were objecting on principle to a Chinese controlled North. I suspect there will be an agreement between China, the US and SK that China can take the North and in return it will be designated as a special administrative region.

Everybody can then claim victory, and we no longer have a lunatic in control of nuclear weapons.

i dont think people realise how much sk will object to this. both sides still see themselves as the same people. sk wont accept china taking control of nk.

i dont think people realise how much sk will object to this. both sides still see themselves as the same people. sk wont accept china taking control of nk.

Yeah, that'd never happen as long as the South and US were still relatively strong once the shooting stopped (all indications are they would be)

TBH not really aware of how SK views that but if it came to it they probably would have to choose the lesser of 2 evils.

Yeah, that'd never happen as long as the South and US were still relatively strong once the shooting stopped (all indications are they would be)

They might not like it, but it may end up being essential for China to play along and in the end they might not have any choice.

The armistice agreement isn't relevant to anything you've said before!

The armistice agreement is important as part of it was not to introudce new weapons to the conflict. The US introduced nukes breaching the armistice. The armistice agreement was for the Korean conflict, not any other.

It's not actually important because the nukes weren't there to use against North Korea. Any reasonable person can see and understand that. If you can't accept that, we've reached an impasse and there's zero point discussing it, is there? It's obvious that was the case because they were removed in 1991 - if they were for use against NK they would never have been removed.

Thats contrary to the stated facts, and the generals rational and decision making at the time "possible use against Norkth Korea". Any person with a brain cell can see your comparison with the UK and Germany to that of South Korea and North Korea is is hilarious at best. You are just digging a deeper hole for yourself.

North Korea joined the Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty (NPT) as a non-nuclear weapons state in 1985, and North and South Korean talks begun in 1990 resulted in a 1992 Denuclearization Statement.

All the evidence goes against everything you have said so far, the impasse is your delusions and your pointless hypotheticals that bare no relevance to the discussion. Heres some more

Following the withdrawal of non-strategic nuclear weapons from South Korea, U.S. nuclear planning against North Korea has continued to evolve. Employment of non-strategic bombs against the North is now the responsibility of fighter wings based in the continental United States. Other nuclear planning involves Trident submarines and long-range strategic bombers.

The 2001 Nuclear Posture Review identified North Korea as an "immediate contingency" that sets requirements for U.S. nuclear strike capabilities, and the assignment of the Global Strike mission to STRATCOM in 2003 led to the creation of CONPLAN 8022, a new preemptive strike plan that has North Korea (among others) in the crosshairs. Finally, the North Korean nuclear test in October 2006 reaffirmed these planning requirements and triggered a strong reaffirmation of U.S. extended nuclear deterrence policy in the region.

And given your statement "if they were for use against NK they would never have been removed" they have just simply changed strategies.

And some more evidence

The decision was made, the officials explained, in part to persuade North Korea to permit international inspection of its nuclear facilities, and in part because the U.S. military no longer thought the nuclear bombs were necessary to defend South Korea.

As you can see North Korea was alway part of the decisons for stationing nukes in South Korea.

They were both ridiculous. The US was never going to use nukes against us, or against NK.

Ill repeat for the 3rd time :eek: And ill slow it down and break it up for you.

You stated: -

That the US had nuclear weapons stationed in Germany and the risk of attack posed to the UK by them nukes from the US (with the fact the UK and US were the best of allies)

Was comparable or as ridiculous as

The US having stationed Nuclear weapons in South Korea for possible stated use against North Korea (Huge enemies) at a time of war/conflict/tensions and skirmishes as a backdrop.

If you cannot see this this clearly there no point discussing this with you any further, as you are just showing up yourself to be ignorant or worse intentionally ignorant.

The US wanted to demonstrate the power of its weapons to the USSR, and others, when it used them in WW2. It also wanted to avoid the ridiculous loss of life which would have occurred if US troops had to fight to and through the Japanese mainland. That's different to NK.

Yes and similar motives could have been used for the N Koreans.

They were there to potentially use against the USSR. The fact they were removed in 1991 demonstrates this to any reasonable person. If they were there to use against NK, they'd never have been removed, would they?

Even though during the Cuban missile crisis the US agreed to remove all nukes from turkey, a similar distance to Russia. Furthermore given the US only removed them after the North Koreans signed up to the NPT in 1985, and strangely a few years later after peace talks started the US removed them??

Close to the rubbish bit of the USSR, as opposed to the significantly important key cities of the west of Russia, and in Ukraine (eg. its important naval infrastructure, etc).

Are you saying there was nothing of importance on the east of Russia. Are you saying the Russians didn’t care about potentially half their country...

You tell me - you brought up the idea of proliferation/any rational state wanted nukes (something which evidently isn't true, I might add).

No actually you brought up the NPT, in reference to me stating the North Koreans had a genuine reason to acquire their own deterrence back in the late 50s early 60s as a result of US action in stationing nukes in the South, during a period well before the NPT.

Quite the opposite in fact. Any rational country would try to acquire a deterrent.

The NPT came about in the end of 60s and in to force in the 70s. You clearly have lost all aspect of the debate, coming off that response.

They did stand a chance, against conventional forces. Hence why the US leadership considered using nukes against Chinese forces. But, again, their main target was obviously the USSR (as, again, evidenced by the fact they were removed in 1991).

What evidence, you've not provided a single shred and have gone consistently against the evidence provided by me. And have just been rambling on about how you feel the US would have never used the Nukes and their intentions were never to use them on the North Koreans. (Which means pretty much zilch if you were North Korea anyway)

These are the facts of the matter; you can either accept them or continue your blind support of the United States.

The US introduced Nuclear weapons into South Korea in 1958 breaking the armistice agreement they helped create, for possible use against the North Koreans.

The North Koreans found out and started a course to gain nuclear weapons of their own as a deterrent and approached the USSR and China for help beginning in 1963 (possibly earlier) after the US.

No matter how you try to spin or twist, these are the facts. Any rational person can see that the North Koreans had a genuine concern that their arch enemy had 950 nukes positioned across the border, with the intentions of possible use against them. If you can’t see this, better have head back to willy wonka land.

Last edited:

There are different levels of control.

I don't think that anybody (apart from China of course!) want to see North Korea be directly annexed into China. But, the level of influence that China has in the North could be open to discussion.

If China is the chief administrator of a post-war NK it will have a free hand to influence the political structure, trade agreements etc. This will put China in a very strong position politically, in much the same way that the US has a strong hand in SK.

There is nothing to say that this kind of approach can't go hand in hand with a much more open border between North and South. You would know better than me (and correct me if I'm wrong), but from what I understand the people of SK primarily want to be able to travel to the North, visit estranged family, trade with the North etc? This could still be achieved while retaining a strong Chinese influence in the North.

I'd love to see it kick off, can't beat a good war. However i do feel for all the innocent civilians and troops that will get caught up in this mad mans cry for attention.

TBH not really aware of how SK views that but if it came to it they probably would have to choose the lesser of 2 evils.

They might not like it, but it may end up being essential for China to play along and in the end they might not have any choice.

Koreans in general, not just north koreans, are some of the most nationalistic people ive ever come across. The hate for communists that has been present in the south for the last 60 years is huge, especially amongst the generation that are still in power now. The anti communism stuff even beats that of the US during the cold war.

I would even go so far as to say that IF china were to invade the north, the south and north might even put their troubles aside and work together to push them out.

losing half a country to your own people is one thing..losing it to a foreign country is something else :/

Back
Top Bottom