North Korea

Soldato
So it seems things are heating up over North Korea...

USA has sent a carrier, assault drones and special forces to South Korea over the past few days..

And is now publicly stating that Military Action against the nation is "on the table"

http://edition.cnn.com/2017/03/17/p...uth-korea-dmz1100AMVODtopLink&linkId=35564594

From my point of view, North Korea are extremely dangerous and "peacefull diplomacy" has failed, and will continue to fail.

However trying to convince people that this won't turn in to another Vietnam/Lybia/Syria/Iraq is nigh on impossible.

Soldato
Sooner or later NK is going to have to be dealt with. The longer they leave it, the harder it will get and the more nukes they will make to threaten the rest of the world with.

Soldato
All cat and mouse, can't ever seing it escalating, it just doesn't fit into the previous patterns, also Rex Tillerson has said he does not want millitary action rather he wants a peace deal. NK have no resources.

Soldato
A nation that has a crazy leader with threats that are all words, fixing the media, not listening to the rest of the world, poor relations with their southern neighbour, threatening military action at the drop of a hat and for some bizarre reason their people love him... I'm glad NK has nuclear missiles to deter current action from an unstable America.

Soldato
Sooner or later NK is going to have to be dealt with. The longer they leave it, the harder it will get and the more nukes they will make to threaten the rest of the world with.

Like we dealt with Saddam and Iraq?

I can understand why the Republic of Korea is constantly spooked by North Korea but the country is of no threat to the west. Even if NK did have a functional nuclear warhead, they have no way of delivering it reliably.

One of Trump's top advisors, Steve Bannon, wants to start WWW3. This looks like a good way for him to start it the people around him aren't careful.

Soldato
OP
A nation that has a crazy leader with threats that are all words, fixing the media, not listening to the rest of the world, poor relations with their southern neighbour, threatening military action at the drop of a hat and for some bizarre reason their people love him... I'm glad NK has nuclear missiles to deter current action from an unstable America.

They are continuously testing ICBM's and firing them into foreign waters.. How is this not unstable?

America isn't as bad as people make it out to be, as far as countries go.. There aren't many that have a better quality of life, at least in some areas.

Like we dealt with Saddam and Iraq?

I can understand why the Republic of Korea is constantly spooked by North Korea but the country is of no threat to the west. Even if NK did have a functional nuclear warhead, they have no way of delivering it reliably.

One of Trump's top advisors, Steve Bannon, wants to start WWW3. This looks like a good way for him to start it the people around him aren't careful.
It has been made clear that North Korea have the ability to transport a nuclear armed device to any location on the planet if it wanted to.. They don't have the resources to create hundreds of warheads.. but a few, most definitely.

Last edited by a moderator:
Man of Honour
what they need to do is blow up the silos and leave them try to rebuild again - another 20-40 years of words only

From all accounts NK have been tech sharing with Iran to perfect the missile tech (that doesn't mean they will/have perfected the warhead side of it) - at this point probably need to do more than just blow up some silos to slow them down significantly.

I'm curious about NK - Iran's nuclear ambitions aren't about actually using them but the fact that it would give them significant political leverage (which Israel and the US don't want them to have) but with NK I have no idea if they would actually use them or not.

Soldato
It has been made clear that North Korea have the ability to transport a nuclear armed device to any location on the planet if it wanted to.. They don't have the resources to create hundreds of warheads.. but a few, most definitely.

As far as I'm aware, their missile tests have all been miserable failures. Has that changed recently?

Soldato
You don't need to strap a nuke to a missile to detonate it, It can be transported and delivered anywhere through conventional means.

That and only a few weeks ago they used the deadliest nerve agent on the planet to murder someone in a busy airport. NK won't show the same restraint with nukes as other countries do.

Man of Honour
As far as I'm aware, their missile tests have all been miserable failures. Has that changed recently?

They have however been progressively less miserable in their failures - and Iran appear to have perfected the tech so only a matter of time before NK catches up on that (as its reputedly part of a back and forth agreement).

Soldato
Nothing is bulletproof but attempting and failing to nuke a western power is pretty much a death warrant for Kim Jong Un. Now there are ways of delivering a weapon but none that have a half decent chance of working. SK and US keep a very close eye on NK. Anything over water are monitored by satellites and waters are patrolled. Under water things are monitored by sonar sensors in the water and on the seabed which bounce signals around. Suspicious signals are then checked out using more accurate sonars and detection from vessels that can be set to intercept anything trying to leave their waters.

I trust Jong-Un to show restraint so far as he believes any major action will likely end in a failure he cant afford.

I dont trust the US' restraint in arms flexing and provoking a response for larger powers which have never held a superb relationship with the US.

Soldato
That and only a few weeks ago they used the deadliest nerve agent on the planet to murder someone in a busy airport. NK won't show the same restraint with nukes as other countries do.

A nerve agent-laced object is infinitely easier to conceal than nuclear weapon. North Korea's thereoretical nuclear warheads aren't going to small or easy to transport. Even the Soviet suitcase nukes weren't as portable as the name suggests.

Back
Top Bottom