Nothing phone (1)

Soldato
Wanted to try it out but after 10 minutes it’s back in the box ready to return.

Was running extremely sluggish especially whilst charging and found too much jittering around the OS.
That's a really odd thing to do. Mine was sluggish in the first 10 minutes, a lot of new phones are. They have lots going on in the background initially, so you just give them a short while to get themselves settled. I thought that would be obvious, but I guess not?

I'm suffering from a BT problem, apparently specifically with Shokz headphones. Apparently people have tried to contact Nothing support, but haven't got a response.

Soldato
That's a really odd thing to do. Mine was sluggish in the first 10 minutes, a lot of new phones are. They have lots going on in the background initially, so you just give them a short while to get themselves settled. I thought that would be obvious, but I guess not?
Yeah but like I said, I've been spoilt with the 13 pro in that aspect which did not need time to settle in or anything.

Soldato
I think I might have to look at returning this. Not only will it not connect to my Shokz headphones, but twice now I've paired my WHOOP and it then just drops the connection after a few hours and won't reconnect. I guess it might get fixed in a software patch...

Soldato
I was looking forward to getting this phone, but reviews have been mediocre, especially regarding audio quality. https://www.gsmarena.com/nothing_phone_1-review-2453p3.php

Time will tell if software patches address the issues.
Out of interest, in what way? It had me wondering if it could some how provide better audio through Bluetooth than other phones I had as I could swear I was hearing some base I didn't think I'd heard before. I could be wrong of course.

If it's the loud speaker, it's a bit tinny. but I assume you would be using it for podcasts or phone calls and actually it's one of the loudest speakers I've tested...

Associate
Out of interest, in what way? It had me wondering if it could some how provide better audio through Bluetooth than other phones I had as I could swear I was hearing some base I didn't think I'd heard before. I could be wrong of course.

If it's the loud speaker, it's a bit tinny. but I assume you would be using it for podcasts or phone calls and actually it's one of the loudest speakers I've tested...
It was more to do with the following section in the review around Audio.

Soldato
I can't lie, I don't know what any of that really means to an end user. As above, having used the phone for a few days the speaker was a reason I might have kept using it over my Pixel 6. I put more weight in that than a graph myself.

Soldato
I can't lie, I don't know what any of that really means to an end user. As above, having used the phone for a few days the speaker was a reason I might have kept using it over my Pixel 6. I put more weight in that than a graph myself.
None of that would be evident through a speaker....but through headphones it'll sound absolutely dreadful, basically.

I've written this off my shortlist. Pixel 6A is tempting but I'm leaning towards the Xperia 10 IV for the battery life and cameras.

Soldato
None of that would be evident through a speaker....but through headphones it'll sound absolutely dreadful, basically.

I've written this off my shortlist. Pixel 6A is tempting but I'm leaning towards the Xperia 10 IV for the battery life and cameras.
If this phone was good for you other than the headphone issue then it's worth buying and testing for yourself.

Soldato
If this phone was good for you other than the headphone issue then it's worth buying and testing for yourself.
I've got better things to do than fork out 400 quid to test a phone, when someone's reviewed it already and has objectively clarified that the sound quality is gash. Apart from the flashy lights it's really got nothing else to make it stand out against other mid-range phones to make it worth compromising on.

Soldato
I've got better things to do than fork out 400 quid to test a phone, when someone's reviewed it already and has objectively clarified that the sound quality is gash. Apart from the flashy lights it's really got nothing else to make it stand out against other mid-range phones to make it worth compromising on.
Stressed much?

Soldato
It had me wondering if it could some how provide better audio through Bluetooth than other phones I had
when someone's reviewed it already and has objectively clarified that the sound quality is gash.
I dunno, seems odd to me. I wonder if they had an early review unit? I wonder if it was before 1.1.0 update? But... your choice I guess.

Back
Top Bottom