• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA 4000 Series

2 is FSR?

Interesting, are you able to show me where there is a difference between 1 and 2?
Doesnt really matter, the point is dlss isn't "720p" as you called it, and I knew for a fact you couldn't tell the difference, that's why I was willing to bet for it.

So the 4080 can play rt at better than native 4k settings.

You can't tell the difference can you?

You also said DLSS has shimmering which you can only see in videos.
Sure, let's agree that fsr is equal to dlss. Actually, I'll do one further, let's agree that far is tons better than dlss. Now let's get to the point, you called dlss 720p and when put under the test, you thought its actually the native render.

So, you were wrong about the 720p and about the rt being useless cause you have to use dlss for it, right?

Sure, let's agree that fsr is equal to dlss. Actually, I'll do one further, let's agree that far is tons better than dlss. Now let's get to the point, you called dlss 720p and when put under the test, you thought its actually the native render.

So, you were wrong about the 720p and about the rt being useless cause you have to use dlss for it, right?

Careful. He does not like to acknowledge it when he gets things wrong (happens often). He only remembers the ones he gets right and likes to pat himself on the back. Now if you corner him he will lose his **** and add you to his ignore list :p:D

I'll do one further, let's agree that far is tons better than dlss

No lets not...

you called dlss 720p and when put under the test

No, you don't have sense of humour.

Careful. He does not like to acknowledge it when he gets things wrong (happens often). He only remembers the ones he gets right and likes to pat himself on the back. Now if you corner him he will lose his **** and add you to his ignore list :p:D
Nah, in this case I think you knew he was wrong from the beginning. No one ever has tried dlss2 and called it bad, therefore he either hadnt tried it and was just playing defense to cover for amds atrocious rt performance, or he had tried it, knew it was as good as native, but was just playing defense to cover for amds atrocious rt performance.

Suggested VRAM requirements posted by hwunboxed

image.png.94af5073bb37bf830ebd7cee3ecc6ecd.png

I just noticed that on my nvidia GPU, the suggested vram is much higher. It needs 16500 GB for 4k ultra, over 11k for 1080p medium, and 14+ GB for 1080p ultra. Maybe, just maybe, a specific brand (cough cough) had something to do with the game requiring more vram from competitors products. Not pointing any fingers...
IMO many gamers have for years been asking for improved graphics in games, to the point that I have seen people complain about the graphics in old games like Lord of the Rings online and mechwarrior online. I don't have an issue if a game is well optimised and has good scaling options so that the likes of people with 16GB vram cards can experience better textures than someone with a 8GB vram card, lets say.

Usually in games there is a small visual difference between ultra and high settings, so high 1080p usually still looks good. I suppose the question for this thread is whether people are put off from buying a 4070/TI or below with the above graphic showing in the region of 13GB vram currently being needed for ultra 1080p/1440p

Last edited:
You don't have to use RT Overdrive setting so I am not sure how nvidia is forcing anyone to buy expensive GPUs. It's an optional setting for those on cutting edge hardware and want to use it. My 4090 has barely broken a sweat on most games so it would be nice to finally give it a workout.

Don't you get tired of Nvidia using popular games to constantly push more and more expensive GPU's?

Seriously i find the whole thing really quite cynical.
Is amd using popular games to push more and more cheaper GPU's?

This gen 4080 is a better product than the 7900xtx and it's the better option - hands down. So not sure what you are on to

You don't have to use RT Overdrive setting so I am not sure how nvidia is forcing anyone to buy expensive GPUs. It's an optional setting for those on cutting edge hardware and want to use it. My 4090 has barely broken a sweat on most games so it would be nice to finally give it a workout.
adding excessively pointless extras to games to bring your OP gpu to its knees so you have to buy a new one next release

adding excessively pointless extras to games to bring your OP gpu to its knees so you have to buy a new one next release
Isn't that the whole point? Im kind of confused. I wish they push visuals that much that my 4090 gets a single fps and I have to buy a new GPU. I don't understand the criticism, GPU's are not a fridge, you buy a GPU to get better visuals in your game. If you want even better visuals, you buy an even better GPU. If you are happy with visuals you are already getting, you keep your current GPU. Problem solved? Im sure a 1060 - a midrange GPU from 8 years ago can play every single game out there. Nobody asks - forces or wants you to buy a new GPU - you can keep and enjoy your old one.

Isn't that the point of PC gaming for a long time now? Remember Crysis? Adding truly next gen features which provide a glimpse of what is to come and which incentivise you to actually buy new hardware to experience it?

It's because of this attitude that my £2,000 GPU absolutely must run everything at 4k 360hz that we get crappy console ports like The Last of Us, Callisto Protocol, Forspoken with non meaningful ultra settings which barely move the needle above the consoles.

Path tracing won't run well on 4090 with dlss quality yes but even on dlss performance the visual improvement will be substantial.

I am all for developers adding meaningful ultra settings in games. Cyberpunk is one of those rare games where switching from high to ultra actually makes a difference unlike other games.

It's an optional setting. You don't have to buy it. If you just cannot handle not running it at 4k 360hz, maybe you should just stick to console ports or console gaming in general.
On PS5, you get charged through the roof for simply unlocking 60 fps or getting next gen features. On PC you get them for free

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom