• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA 4000 Series

This was really interesting, shows that the 4090, all 4090s, are essentially not thermally or current limited. The performance numbers between stock and OCd to 3GHz+ core yield some gains, but not a huge difference. This also explains why even on the quiet mode VBIOS switch on my trinity, that an 80-81 degrees core temp made no impact on the boost clock as it always stayed at 2700 or above.

Makes you wonder what Nvidia can do to a 4090 ti in terms of clocks, they'd have to add more shader units and stuff instead to make it a meaningful bump up from a 4090, or maybe they just won't bother with a 4090 ti and just beef up the 4080 to a Ti which would still fall quite a bit below a 4090, and allow the 4090 to stay at its price point.

Last edited:
Makes you wonder what Nvidia can do to a 4090 ti in terms of clocks, they'd have to add more shader units and stuff instead to make it a meaningful bump up from a 4090, or maybe they just won't bother with a 4090 ti and just beef up the 4080 to a Ti which would still fall quite a bit below a 4090, and allow the 4090 to stay at its price point.

The full AD102 core is 18432 CUDA Cores - with hand picked cores, some slight cache changes and a slightly faster memory setup around 21% faster performance is available to a 4090ti. (Maybe a bit less against a golden clocking 4090 though).

Last edited:
Out of interest what clock speeds do other peoples 4090s boost to then settle to? I know typically the norm is to boost to a higher clock speed than the rated max boost, then after a few mins drop to a stable boost maximum for thermals, but I'm finding that 2700MHz is the lowest mine settles to, which is still far higher than the rated 2520MHz boost clock. It starts off at about 2760MHz, then settles to 2700 if the temp is closer to 80, or 2715 if the temp is closer to the 70 end. Zotac's Trinity cooler seems to be very good. The 4090 FE reviews I read showed that typically the FE boost settles to 26xxMHz.

Cyberpunk at 2715 for example:

w1AdnVb.jpg

Last edited:
Out of interest what clock speeds do other peoples 4090s boost to then settle to? I know typically the norm is to boost to a higher clock speed than the rated max boost, then after a few mins drop to a stable boost maximum for thermals, but I'm finding that 2700MHz is the lowest mine settles to, which is still far higher than the rated 2520MHz boost clock. It starts off at about 2760MHz, then settles to 2700 if the temp is closer to 80, or 2715 if the temp is closer to the 70 end. Zotac's Trinity cooler seems to be very good. The 4090 FE reviews I read showed that typically the FE boost settles to 26xxMHz.

Cyberpunk at 2715 for example:

w1AdnVb.jpg

I'm not sure about stock but I have 80% PL I thinj and a minor + on core. It settles at 2910 or 2860 I think I see a lot.

For most games my card usually boosts and even settles at 2820Mhz automatically, may drop to 2810Mhz. In CP 2077 with path tracing on so the worst case scenario, the card sat at 2805Mhz with the odd spike down to 2745Mhz but jumps straight back to 2805Mhz after a second or so. In non ray traced games though I never see it drop below 2800Mhz.

This is with a Zotac 4090 AMP Extreme Airo. Clock stability on this card is pretty rock solid, out of all the cards I've had over the years I'm surprised how stable the 4090 clocks are because the 3090 clocks and even 2080 Ti's used to bounce all over the place even with a very steady temperature.

MctyNq0.jpg

Last edited:
Nice so it seems OC editions of 4090 do settle to higher clocks still. When I have some more time I'll be playing with power limits and benchmarking games to see if the performance differences can be seen and if not, then just sticking to say 80% PL, the brief testing I did shows at 80% the boost clock settle is still above 2520MHz on mine.

Nice so it seems OC editions of 4090 do settle to higher clocks still. When I have some more time I'll be playing with power limits and benchmarking games to see if the performance differences can be seen and if not, then just sticking to say 80% PL, the brief testing I did shows at 80% the boost clock settle is still above 2520MHz on mine.
The best settings for all 450w cards is 70% power limit (320watts) +100mhz core / +1400vram. The only game where you lose performance compared to stock is in cyberpunk with path tracing. Every other game I tested you match stock performance

Reactions: mrk
Yeah, now test it. If it crashes lower the core oc. If it doesn't you can try upping it a bit.
I have good news and bad news!

The bad news is that those values do not work for me, Cyberpunk crashes at the logo screen :D fiddling with variances of these values doesn't change much either so I reset to default and just set a 80% power limit instead and checked the power/performance in game:

Code:
                     Average framerate  :  105.3 FPS
                     Minimum framerate  :   91.6 FPS
                     Maximum framerate  :  116.7 FPS
                     1% low framerate   :   82.8 FPS
                     0.1% low framerate :   56.7 FPS

51RDF1B.png

Am fine with that, basically the same fps but with lower power use so probs just keep that going lol. My 3080 Ti FE was the same, didn't like being OCd, but a power limit to 90% was fine, yet still would draw 300w if it desired.

Last edited:
This was really interesting, shows that the 4090, all 4090s, are essentially not thermally or current limited. The performance numbers between stock and OCd to 3GHz+ core yield some gains, but not a huge difference. This also explains why even on the quiet mode VBIOS switch on my trinity, that an 80-81 degrees core temp made no impact on the boost clock as it always stayed at 2700 or above.

It could be hitting a limitation in memory bandwidth,ROPs,etc.

Further testing with power limits, going to leave it at 70% and leave the clocks alone. The difference between 100% and 70% is trivial at best, the power draw difference during the Cyberpunk benchmark was 304 watts vs 386 watts during the benchmark.The core temp was 64 degrees too at 70% vs 71 at 100%

70%:
utPCvHz.png

100%:
WifW0NV.png

I have good news and bad news!

The bad news is that those values do not work for me, Cyberpunk crashes at the logo screen :D fiddling with variances of these values doesn't change much either so I reset to default and just set a 80% power limit instead and checked the power/performance in game:

Code:
                     Average framerate  :  105.3 FPS
                     Minimum framerate  :   91.6 FPS
                     Maximum framerate  :  116.7 FPS
                     1% low framerate   :   82.8 FPS
                     0.1% low framerate :   56.7 FPS

51RDF1B.png

Am fine with that, basically the same fps but with lower power use so probs just keep that going lol. My 3080 Ti FE was the same, didn't like being OCd, but a power limit to 90% was fine, yet still would draw 300w if it desired.
Try testing it one at a time though. Leave the core alone and bump memory to +1000, and keep going. Depending on how good your memory is it should do up to 1700 for 24/7. After you find some stability fiddle with the core frequency. Instant crashes are usually caused by the core, so I guess +100 is too much for your particular gpu. Try +70

Back
Top Bottom