• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA 4000 Series

You know why. They want to increase margins to account for lower sales,and make more money. They also tried to spin crypto didn't contribute to their bottom end(when it most likely did),overproduced dGPUs and don't want to reduce them. The same as Turing V1 when they made too much Pascal dGPUs. Also if costs went up over double(why the RTX3060/RTX3060TI replacement is £800),then surely the RTX4090 would have costed £2500?
Sounds almost like Nvidia makes most of its dGPU sales in lower price ranges,and got excited when cretins paid £800 for RTX3060TI dGPUs,etc and got a nice boost in margins.

Considering AMD and Intel have discounted their bread and butter CPUs and made losses,we shouldn't have sympathy for Nvidia who could have priced this generation "well" and still managed to upsell smaller chips and make them for more money. Then AMD is joining too,as even they probably never expected Nvidia to hand them a bonanza too.

Edit!!

Has the pandemic done something to the memory of PCMR? Nvidia literally tried the same thing barely 18 months before it started with Turing. That was after another cryptoboom,and also gamers paying beyond the odds for dGPUs. People were making all sorts of weird excuses for Turing pricing too.

Why does need to be explained all over again,when it is obvious what is happening? PCMR needs to show less trust in these companies - they are clearly playing us for fools.

There’s only one explanation…

People need an excuse to justify their stupid purchasing decisions and you can’t gloat online and show off shiny new hardware if you don’t have a reason to justify it. Someone will call them out lol.

There’s only one explanation…

People need an excuse to justify their stupid purchasing decisions and you can’t gloat online and show off shiny new hardware if you don’t have a reason to justify it. Someone will call them out lol.

Its the utter contempt these companies show to PCMR,who has made them billions of USD in profits. I don't know why PCMR defends these companies. The whole bunch of them are chancers! There used to be a time loyal customers used to be rewarded. Now loyal customer=mug. Its happening everywhere.

Last edited:
Maybe my memory is sketchy but I do remember sweeteners being thrown in with GPU's. One of the cards I bought around 2013 had a PSU included in the deal. At the very least you used to get a game code.
thanks for shafting me over the price of a gpu, this code for redfall will be sure to take the sting out of it

Maybe my memory is sketchy but I do remember sweeteners being thrown in with GPU's. One of the cards I bought around 2013 had a PSU included in the deal. At the very least you used to get a game code.

I cant remember which but wasn’t AMD throwing in 3 game codes back in the day. Far cry being one of them.

I got Hitman (the 2016 one) for free with the RX470. Worked out well for them, and for me as I liked it and ended up buying Hitman 2 (at full price) and Hitman 3 (at second sale price, so probably about 66%) when they came out.

Game code doesn't make such a difference to value further up the price scale.

Yeah I can't remember specifics now but I've got game codes with many GPU purchases - sometimes you'd get like 3 games, also had stuff like t-shirts, branded mouse mats and stuff in the past.

Yeah I can't remember specifics now but I've got game codes with many GPU purchases - sometimes you'd get like 3 games, also had stuff like t-shirts, branded mouse mats and stuff in the past.
I remember the days when i could get 2 pints and 4 games of pool for £5, on Monday nights i could get 4 pints. Now i'm lucky to get a pint for £5, in fact the last pint I bought cost £6.50

it isn't even a bad card for what you get - it is the stack below which is just obscene.

So that's basically all of their line up. Not sure how people can be happy with that.

Wendell said like a few have already on here, the performance of this card should be where the 4070Ti is at. Its priced a tier higher with the spec of the 60 class.

The reason some people are angry about the RTX 4080 in general, seems to be that they personally can't afford one, and don't want to wait until they can.

For some reason, the RTX 4090 gets a free pass because 'it's the best' - so it's the same old tedious logic every generation. Even though flagship prices increase with each generation. I guess the reason tech reviewers don't criticise it more because of it's rip off price, is that the whales help to keep the industry going (even though they inadvertently encourage price increases).

They are both high end, low volume cards, so expectations should be based on that.

The main problem with both, is that there is very likely going to be TI versions of each, at some point.

If the 4080 TI is 10% faster than the 4080, that would put it close to the 4090 in performance, and I imagine AMD would drop the price of the RX7900 XTX.

Last edited:
The reason some people are angry about the RTX 4080 in general, seems to be that they personally can't afford one, and don't want to wait until they can.

For some reason, the RTX 4090 gets a free pass because 'it's the best' - so it's the same old tedious logic every generation. Even though flagship prices increase with each generation. I guess the reason tech reviewers don't criticise it more because of it's rip off price, is that the whales help to keep the industry going (even though they inadvertently encourage price increases).

They are both high end, low volume cards, so expectations should be based on that.

The main problem with both, is that there is very likely going to be TI versions of each, at some point.

If the 4080 TI is 10% faster than the 4080, that would put it close to the 4090 in performance, and I imagine AMD would drop the price of the RX7900 XTX.

There is a huge gulf between the 4080 and 4090 when you aren't CPU limited and the 4080 is over twice the price of the 3080... it isn't a good buy regardless.

Looks fine to me (it's still the 2nd/3rd fastest GPU, 1% lows of 89 FPS at 4K on average), it's just that it's priced too high, which isn't surprising because these are low volume cards.

It terms of price /performance, the 4090 at MSRP is roughly $200 too expensive, relative to the RTX 4080 at MSRP. It's the most expensive card they've ever released (except for the ludicrously priced RTX 3090 TI at $2000, which launched pretty late in the product cycle).

It's not a good trend, because the 4090 TI is likely to be a $2000 card.

The RTX 3080 was really expensive also, and many paid well above MSRP for one.

Last edited:
If they keep the 4080 price high for a while, some people think, oh well might as well get a 4090 :cry:

Part of their strategy seems to be to try and get people to open their wallets and buy one tier up to what they normally do :( I dunno what has happened to the days of build a compelling product and people will pay - industries in general seem to try and use the stick these days often instead of building a quality product in the first place though these GPUs themselves aren't a bad product just tiered and priced way wrong.

Back
Top Bottom