• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA 4000 Series

The reason some people are angry about the RTX 4080 in general, seems to be that they personally can't afford one, and don't want to wait until they can.
I don’t think people really care about the 4080 regardless of their financial situation as It’s a joke of a card and by far the worse value 4000 series.

The performance gap between a 4080 and 4090 is similar to that of a 3070ti and 3090 so no one with any sense is paying £1200 for that.

Wendell, late to the party with digs, rarely slags and he had a few mentions in that recent video where the 4080 was bad value. If most of the regular influencer base are all saying it and they get sent units to review so are generally nice, then you know its a problem.

For some reason, the RTX 4090 gets a free pass because 'it's the best' - so it's the same old tedious logic every generation. Even though flagship prices increase with each generation. I guess the reason tech reviewers don't criticise it more because of it's rip off price, is that the whales help to keep the industry going (even though they inadvertently encourage price increases).

Will give you this one, you can tell when the posts justifying its price from the owners come out. Particularly when most of them chortled at last gens top card which was a couple of hundred cheaper, but it was ok.. not double standards at all.

It terms of price /performance, the 4090 at MSRP is roughly $200 too expensive, relative to the RTX 4080 at MSRP. It's the most expensive card they've ever released (except for the ludicrously priced RTX 3090 TI at $2000, which launched pretty late in the product cycle).

The RTX 3080 was really expensive also, and many paid well above MSRP for one.

:)

Last edited:
Last edited:
Wendell, late to the party with digs, rarely slags and he had a few mentions in that recent video where the 4080 was bad value. If most of the regular influencer base are all saying it and they get sent units to review so are generally nice, then you know its a problem.

Will give you this one, you can tell when the posts justifying its price from the owners come out. Particularly when most of them chortled at last gens top card which was a couple of hundred cheaper, but it was ok.. not double standards at all.

:)
It gets a pass because its the only one with no upsold die(although it is more salvaged than the die in the GA102).

The whole 'people hate because they can't afford' argument is way too basic. If people really want something, they'll find a way to afford it.

The ones who first said it were marketing accounts who pushed this 15 years ago.

Last edited:
I don’t think people really care about the 4080 regardless of their financial situation as It’s a joke of a card and by far the worse value 4000 series.

The performance gap between a 4080 and 4090 is similar to that of a 3070ti and 3090 so no one with any sense is paying £1200 for that.
Well the more you pay, the worse the value.

The 4090 is worse value, no question.

No one with any sense is going to pay £1,600 for a graphics card, the flagship is never worth it.

Unless you paid £2,000 for the last gen card I suppose?

The RTX 4080 would make more sense priced £100-£200 cheaper, but there's not much chance of that with the flagship.

For most gamers (playing at 1440p or 4K) the 4080 is powerful enough, if you want high framerates at 4K, I guess the 4090 is the best option?

Last edited:
No one with any sense is going to pay £1,600 for a graphics card, the flagship is never worth it.

Unless you paid £2,000 for the last gen card I suppose?

I tried wayback machine but it wouldnt load. I found this thread which shows most of the AIB cards way over 1600 (£1800 seems to be the start but other may remember, or those that bought can update).

There has been some shaving off the prices due to pound adjusting to the dollar. Still taking the biscuit, but yeah the 4080 has the crown for ultimate **** take imo.

Last edited:
There is going to be a 16GB rtx405...sorry RTX4060TI:

:cry:
If that comes to pass it would be really strange to have a lower tier product with more VRAM than a model above it, not saying they won't do it but it sure will look weird to have 4070's with 12GB and 4060's with 16.

If that comes to pass it would be really strange to have a lower tier product with more VRAM than a model above it, not saying they won't do it but it sure will look weird to have 4070's with 12GB and 4060's with 16.

There are 12GB 3060s.

nVidia used to do it a fair bit where lower end cards had quite a lot of slow VRAM more than the 1-2 tiers above :s

Last edited:
Apparently it makes no difference rroff. Although the modders that hacked up a 3070 seen some uplift in performance.

There is a fairly narrow window in my experience where the 3070 still has useful core performance but runs out of VRAM. There are a few cases where it would still give useful performance at 4K in some games but needs around 10GB VRAM :s but those tend to be more edge cases.

There are 12GB 3060s.

nVidia used to do it a fair bit where lower end cards had quite a lot of slow VRAM more than the 1-2 tiers above :s
True but don't they use different VRAM & bus widths? (I've not looked and can't recall)

E: Also it was weird (imo) when they did it with the 3060's so i guess there's that. :)

Last edited:
Nvidia emergency edition. Not only are they realising negative customer perception but also the fact more games are using VRAM and 8GB isn't enough. The RTX3060 can outperform the RTX3070.
Might also be because AMD might be releasing an RX7700XT 12GB too at the RTX4060TI price.

Also:
He is a reliable leaker.

RTX 4070 can have a version based on AD103.
That means a 16GB 70 series card.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom