• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA 4000 Series

I bet the price isn't reduced....

Got to be honest, I was kind of expecting them to do this when they announced the proart models and was surprised the 4090 wasn't an option. Having said that it looks like the one dimension most people actually need reducing hasn't been touched, it's still just as wide as the old one meaning there could be cable issues...

Less heatsink, so more heat build up, smaller fans potentially so less effective so to me that says these will run hotter, louder and slower.......

The 4090 is an absolute beast, it needs good cooling to maintain high boost clocks, keep temperatures down, noise levels low and improve longevity of the card.

Not so sure smaller versions are a good idea unless substantially and running lower clocks / voltage to reign in the temperatures somewhat.

Last edited:
Less heatsink, so more heat build up, smaller fans potentially so less effective so to me that says these will run hotter, louder and slower.......

The 4090 is an absolute beast, it needs good cooling to maintain high boost clocks, keep temperatures down, noise levels low and improve longevity of the card.

Not so sure smaller versions are a good idea unless substantially and running lower clocks / voltage to reign in the temperatures somewhat.
Less heatsink also means lower bom too... hence my comment about cost, in fact in the side by side it looks like it's using a more standard rectangle board too which might mean other aspects are cheaper too...

Also a smaller heatsink doesn't necessarily mean we'll see a performance hit, most reviews I've seen have shown the after market coolers to have plenty of headroom, even on the 4090. I'd also argue that the case cooling and airflow will make as much if not more difference to the heat build up than the relatively small shrinkage of cooler.

And to be fair we already know we can reduce the power limit or undervolt a 4090 by quite a bit and keep most of the performance.

40 series are efficient anyway, I doubt there will be any heat issues out of the box on the lower 40s given that they should be generating less heat due to lower number of cores and gubbins. So effectively the balancing of cooling vs componentry would be even anyway.

Last edited:
Low vram is an issue for consoles too

The Xbox Series S is starting to run into problems, game crashing due to 8gb memory on the series S is not enough

Also on last Gen consoles - all the issues that was found on the 8gb Nvidia cards in the Hogwarts game is now occurring on the ps4 and Xbox one consoles in that game too

Last edited:
Low vram is an issue for consoles too

The Xbox Series S is starting to run into problems, game crashing due to 8gb memory on the series S is not enough

Also on last Gen consoles - all the issues that was found on the 8gb Nvidia cards in the Hogwarts game is now occurring on the ps4 and Xbox one consoles in that game too

PS5 Pro/Series X (X?) is going to come along next year with likely at least 20GB, maybe even 24GB, of unified memory and then high settings on PC ports are going to really struggle on 12gbvram or less i reckon.

Last edited:

Seriously give it a rest

Lets be honest, 90% of the posts on here could be classed as bait :p

Also it wasn't really as it is true, should be a separate thread for "nvidia practices" as any thread to do with nvidia always ends up with the same broken record rather than discussing the actual topic at hand and by the same posters all the time too, quality of this sub forum posts have gone down hill big time, all pointless bickering with nothing to back up the comments but alas not right place for this discussion either.

Last edited:
Baiting headline is baiting.

It's specific to a single game - Borderlands 3

Not to mention, current high end consoles are already having to reduce settings across the board including res. as low as 480p and obviously no ray tracing and still getting fps drops below 60 all because of lack of grunt or/and poor optimisation.....

Back
Top Bottom