• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA 4000 Series

I thought the price was perfect according to the experts on here!
Also has anyone also thought,what if Infinity Cache is added to the refreshes?

Yeah the ones buying the 4070 are all quiet or maybe on holiday?

Funny that the cache idea is now the go to. Ideally the gen from both vendors need a refresh but the quick win is to just slash prices as they say "there is no bad products only bad prices". :cool:

HU takeaway:

..on the other hand, that's arriving two and a half years after the RTX 3070 and while it has upgraded the vram capacity to 12 gigabytes (which is still a minor Improvement in my opinion) it costs a
hundred dollars US more
and for that you're only getting around a 30% performance boost - so it's around half the margin we saw from the 2070 to the 3070 with an extra 100 US tacked on top!

So for the 4070 to be as exciting as the 3070 was, it would really need to be the 4070 TI (as in the 4070 TI would need to be called the 4070) and ideally it'd need to cost 500 USD though.

And the 4070 should really be a 4060 Ti, and the 4060 Ti should be the 4060, and the 4050 Ti should be the 4050.

I'm strongly suspect when they renamed the 3080 12GB that the real 4070 Ti got canned and all the cards under it got shifted up the naming and pricing stack.

HU takeaway:

He forgot to add to the video.. sponsored by Nvidia.. Of course the 4070 is faster than a 2070 and the joke of the video it actually shows how bad things have got, as the 3070 was 60%+ faster than a 2070 and the 3070 to 4070 was 30%.

Also I don't like the language he used in the video because a lot of his positive comments were very over blown and sounded like a sales man and then of course he would add a negative to balance things but said in a way that makes the positive comment stick out..

This is what I hate from HU they pretend to be on the viewers/consumers side but the video is clearly a sales sponsored sales pitch at 20 series owners. The owners Nvidia wants to target right now.

Youtube reviewers are all at it if you "listen" to the wording used and how it is used. This was a fail video and a video to me shows the disadvantages as a tech enthusiast but to the regular pc users he is selling 2x and 100%+ better.. Then even in his final resolution performance round ups he clearly wanted to make the results be 100%+ then says ohh I removed Callisto from the results as it is broken on one of the resolutions but never removed any of the games that were clearly VRAM limited on the 2070 as that was basically not right as the games should have all been set to the VRAM limits of the 2070 but of course the results would all end up below the 100% difference on average for the resolutions and mess up Nvidia's sales pitch.. Scummy really.. and massaging the results. Then adds ohh look for $100 more you get 12GB and twice as fast so basically saying it is worth buying.. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Thats generally how the marketing goes, even at nvidia's launches they try to target older generations hard

There is a good marketing reason for that - while I (and a hundred other forum members here) upgrade every generation, 90% of Nvidia (and AMD too) owners do not upgrade every generation - so when you launch a new generation your largest potential sales base to target is people who last upgraded 5+ years ago

Last edited:
Assuming the same price, what what you chaps buy, an RTX 4070 or an RTX 3080 (with 12GB)?

You can get a used RTX 3080 12GB for a similar price to a new RTX 4070.

The only things the 4070 has got going for it are Frame generation and lower power usage, as far as I can see. But they are very similar in performance.

I think Nvidia should probably release an upgraded version of the 4070, it needs to be around 10% faster than the 3080 (10GB or 12GB). I'd guess they could get another 5% out of it, just from maxing out the board power/BIOS limits and clocks.

Probably could get another 5% from increasing the memory bandwidth also (the memory bandwidth spec is unimpressive compared to the 3080), they could use even faster GDDR.

24Gbps is possible on Samsung's latest variant of GDDR6:
https://news.samsung.com/global/sam...power-next-generation-high-end-graphics-cards

Or, they could use an improved version of GDDR6X (24Gbps. I think that's more likely):
https://videocardz.com/newz/micron-...or-geforce-rtx-40-series-is-now-in-production

I think Nvidia will only release refresh cards when AMD releases more mid/high end RDNA3 cards though... The problem is that a RTX 4070 that is 10% faster overall, would put it quite close to the RTX 4070 TI, but it would be about on par with the RX 6950 XT.

Last edited:
I would get a 3080 12GB unless I was doing SFF. The 4070 has much better power efficiency, but its memory bandwidth seems to handicap it at higher resolutions.

It's hardly slower lol. Both will struggle in the most demanding games at 4k, with dlss they are the same. Who is paying 4070 money for a used 3080 that pulls over 300 watts vs 180 and lacks the latest features.

Do you think there will be a RTX 4070 refresh, with faster VRAM?

I think this would make sense from Nvidia's point of view, because they clearly aren't struggling to produce RTX 4070 GPUs.

Last edited:
For 80% of the mindshare I cant see how these numbers are "doing very well" :cry:

AMD = 1200 units there; nvidia = 960 units.
I never believe these numbers. They always paint AMD as competitive and then the quarterly results come out and AMD is in single digit marketshare probably outsold by Intel next time.

I think Nvidia should probably release an upgraded version of the 4070, it needs to be around 10% faster than the 3080 (10GB or 12GB). I'd guess they could get another 5% out of it, just from maxing out the board power/BIOS limits and clocks.
They did, its called at 4070ti and costs £800.

Screenshot-550.png

I never believe these numbers. They always paint AMD as competitive and then the quarterly results come out and AMD is in single digit marketshare probably outsold by Intel next time.

Where does he get these stats from anyone know?

Well last time the spin was positive on the nvidia launches only for the steam hardware survey to have incorrect data last month so intel did nowhere near as good as was trumpeted.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom