• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA 4000 Series

Played GoTG at 1440p with high settings just fine. I wasn't counting the frames but it felt nice and smooth to me.
We're all different with different tolerances, yours might just be on the lower end. I can't stand anything below 80ish now, been spoiled by high-end cards! I do game at 4k though (which is an absolute pig still!!).

We're all different with different tolerances, yours might just be on the lower end. I can't stand anything below 80ish now, been spoiled by high-end cards! I do game at 4k though (which is an absolute pig still!!).
Probably, but I know I was getting at least 60 because it didn't see any judder, which I can be very sensitive to, especially in panning shots. Seeing I play on an older LG OLED with a 60Hz panel it does me fine. Even when I upgrade to a 120Hz panel in a year or two I know I can just turn on VRR and as long it stays over 45fps I won't see any judder and I'm golden. Calling it a weak card is disingenuous frankly

Last edited:
4060Ti is looking grim. Sad really because the 3060Ti was arguably the best card of the last generation.

The whole 4000 series has been a real disappointment outside of the 4090. Makes me wonder what 5000 will do. It will have to be a substantial improvement. Can’t have the 5060ti being 10% faster than a 4060Ti which was only 8-10% faster than a 3060Ti :S
IMO everything under the 4070 Ti should be considered a tier lower so the 4060 Ti should really be the 4060 and the 4060 should really be the 4050 Ti. IMO when the 4080 12GB got shifted down in name/price they canned the real 4070 Ti and the rest of their line-up was moved up in name/price to meet it.

I've not looked to deeply, as in not at all, but i suspect if you compared benchmarks there'd be a bigger gap in performance between the 4070 Ti and non-Ti version than any of the other cards in their line-up.

Last edited:
Looking at that 4060 chart for non-FG games, we can basically surmise:

2060 -> 3060 (= 2070/2060 Super) -> 4060 (= ~3060 Ti = 2080/Super). So... 5060 is going to be = 2080 Ti?

Either way pretty weak gen-on-gen performance gains especially since they came with a price increase. The performance stagnation that was characteristic of $200 RX 480/ GTX 1060 tier has now moved at $400+. And that's in a bear market with no volume, where you'd hope they'd actually incentive more sales, but I guess not.

IMO everything under the 4070 Ti should be considered a tier lower so the 4060 Ti should really be the 4060 and the 4060 should really be the 4050 Ti. IMO when the 4080 12GB got shifted down in name/price they canned the real 4070 Ti and the rest of their line-up was moved up in name/price to meet it.

I've not looked to deeply, as in not at all, but i suspect if you compared benchmarks there'd be a bigger gap in performance between the 4070 Ti and non-Ti version than any of the other cards in their line-up.
Probably right, though while 12gb on the 4070 is underwhelming, on the 4070ti it looks absurd. The 4070 seems like the only somewhat decent option beneath the 4090 to me tbh (in between the two the 7900xt seems the best), and at rumoured prices the 4060 looks unlikely to change that.

Charging £1,579 for a GPU will do that.

Just to clear something up, the 4090 is not good value.

It costs around £9.40 per frame at 1440p (based on 1% low of 168, MSRP price).

The RX 7900 XT costs around £5.76 per frame at 1440p (based on 1% low of 130, price £750).

At 4K, cost per frame is £9.61 for the RX 7900 XT and £13.73 for the 4090.

If they drop the price of the RX 7900 XT further (e.g £700), the value of the 4090 will look even less favourable.
One thing to add: if you need the performance of a card that is outside the optimal ratio of price/performance, it doesn't really matter that another card is (significantly) cheaper. So who needs the 4090 performance, won't look at 7900xt since is just too slow (basically irelevant).

Last edited:
One thing to add: if you need the performance of a card that is outside the optimal ratio of price/performance, it doesn't really matter that another card is (significantly) cheaper. So who needs the 4090 performance, won't look at 7900xt since is just too slow (basically irelevant).
It's not a relevant card to the vast majority because of it's very high price.

Most can't afford the RTX 4080 either.

Last edited:
What are you prattling on about? What precisely is not even really true?
Someone is in a pleasant mood.

You said this "It is only made to look decent value by the stupidly high prices of the GPU's below it".

£1,050 is much less 'stupidly high' for the 4080 than £1579 for the 4090.

£1,000 or less would be more ideal, but I think it will fall a bit further.

You've got it the wrong way around, Nvidia's pricing strategy for each series is based around charging as much as possible for the flagship card.

They will probably charge close to £2,000 for the RTX 4090 TI, but there's no chance it will deliver 2x the performance of the RTX 4080.

Last edited:
Well, hopefully.

The RT 3090 TI had an MSRP of $2,000.

It seems to be a rare card tbf, no mention of it on steam's hardware survey.

Last edited:
And here's Nvidia's response to the whole VRAM thing: https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/news/rtx-40-series-vram-video-memory-explained/

TL;DR version: "4000 series has more cache than previous gens, and we offer tools to lower VRAM usage".

Great article that TBF! Certainly beats the armchair experts insight we often get on here :p Good to see them referring to game patches fixing issues too ;)

"but even that isn’t always accurate."

With reference to in game vram usage, so true, currently playing resident evil 4 remake and according to in game meter, it's 14gb yet in game with MSI afterburner, dedicated usage isn't even breaking 8gb and that's with max settings + ray tracing at native 3440x1440. Looks great and running beautifully too.

Last edited:
What a world we live in...

$399 for a 1.15x improvement over the previous generation

ZUKCbMG.png

Last edited:
What a world we live in...

$399 for a 1.15x improvement over the previous generation

ZUKCbMG.png

They'll keep doing it aslong as people keep buying it. The only thing i keep hearing about this gen is "lower power usage", seems to be the key selling point :cry:.

• Haha
Reactions: TNA
Back
Top Bottom