• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA 4000 Series

Carry on trying to have the last word.
And yet another non sequitur reply from you! :rolleyes: When you're ready to stop being puerile and respond cogently to something I've actually said about the 4000 series or the 4090 not being a value for money GPU etc, rather than something you made up then I will discuss it. As for now I leave you to argue with yourself or have the last puerile word.

Last edited:
Just because the memory chip itself only costs $40 does not mean it only costs $40 to add it to a graphics card.
And it doesn't mean it doesn't.

e: Just to add, i purposefully overegged the actual cost to account for the other things involved in adding an extra 8GB, the actual cost of 8GB of GDDR6 is closer to $32-35 and for someone buying in bulk like Nvidia it would probably come in cheaper than that.

Last edited:
And it doesn't mean it doesn't.

e: Just to add, i purposefully overegged the actual cost to account for the other things involved in adding an extra 8GB, the actual cost of 8GB of GDDR6 is closer to $32-35 and for someone buying in bulk like Nvidia it would probably come in cheaper than that.
Are you suggesting they should sell stuff at cost? Because im pretty sure the whole 4060 8gb doesn't cost 399$ - so why are the selling it for 399?

Just because the memory chip itself only costs $40 does not mean it only costs $40 to add it to a graphics card.

Even if it wasn't and cost more. That does not mean Nvidia won't use it as a tool to maximise profits. Jensen is all about that. No one should be surprised. They could give options of two versions for cards, one with double the vram for the extra cost. But they don't as it does not fit with maximising of profits.

If AMD are giving more vram, it ain't because of goodness of their hearts. It is because they see it as an attack vector. Frankly they need to as they are lacking in other areas like FSR and RT relative to the competition, so they can't afford to be seen skimping on vram also. We all know they would do the same if they were ahead like Nvidia. All about maxising those profits.

That it doesn't is manufacturing 101.

You can decide for yourself whether the extra $100 is worth it, but basing that on the value of the added chip is meaningless.
What are you talking about, if something cost $40 it's manufacturing 101 that it doesn't cost $40. :cry: :cry:

What else would you base the value on if not the value of the added chips then?

What are you talking about, if something cost $40 it's manufacturing 101 that it doesn't cost $40. :cry: :cry:

And you accused other people of being bad at reading!

What else would you base the value on if not the value of the added chips then?

Whether the additional performance is worth it for you. Raw material cost is, and always will be, a total irrelevance for all things at all times.

And you accused other people of being bad at reading!
Yea, i think that's more a case of you talking nonsense. Like i said it's not manufacturing 101 that if something cost $40 it doesn't cost $40, that's pretty basic maths.
Whether the additional performance is worth it for you. Raw material cost is, and always will be, a total irrelevance for all things at all times.
ROFL, as if more proof was needed that you're talking nonsense you come out with the line that 'raw material' cost is total irrelevance for all things at all times.

I take it from that nonsense answer you either can't or won't answer what you would base the value on if not the value of the added chips, i assume it's the latter because it's dawned on you how daft this hole you've dug is.

This bickering is stupid. The memory doesn't cost more than $35 in bulk and anyone who knows how factories work will know it doesn't cost more then a couple of dollars to add it to the board. They just have to reprogram the machine to tell it how many chips to add when making the board.

They can only charge $50 more and still make a good profit per board on just the added memory itself. The other $50 is pure, idiotic, greed.

Last edited:
Bought the 4080. Going for the 4090, for me, wasn’t worthy.
Upscaling and all, only when the card struggles, but not a selling point as something that is “expected” to be needed now. Runs cooler than my 3080, requires less power and should last a good while as I play at 1440p and target over 75fps, as I don’t play competitive games, but crank up the image quality.
Releasing mid-high or simply mid range cards with 8GB is a joke. 12GB should be standard.

Back
Top Bottom