• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA 4000 Series

Indeed, If they fined the firms that do these kind of tricks 99% of their profit they'd never dare do it in the first place!

Its literally pocket change the amount they get fined. They would probably benefit from price fixing, getting caught and paying the fine and still make more money than going the legitimate route.

Sad really.

It reminds me of what we had with Intel for years, with next to no competition we had a decades worth of 4 cores and 10% performance improvements gen-on-gen.

except Jensen will grab those with money by releasing a phenomenal 90 class card for $2000+ and everything else below will be phenomenally expensive but sub par.

Hope the competition authorities start getting involved.
I think the issue we have to worry about is, despite the very low sales of this new gen of cards, Nvidia and AMD are still wanting to price high, even these new mid range are $100 too expensive, they should be around $150 less then what they are being sold for.

Despite the low sales, they still are pricing high, they are trying to weather this out and taking the low sale numbers, I can't see any actual price drops this whole gen.

With how slow AMD was to release anything below the 7900 xt and Nvidias reluctance as well, they are more then likely having to gear up with a strategy for the new gen, this gen is officially over before the mid range cards ever released to the public.

Lets be real, all of these GPUs were ready to be released back end of last year, all of them.

BDtLI7A.png

If Northridge are partnered to Cablemod then does that mean Jay is married to Nvidia ? Not sure why he would even say such a thing as if to discredit Northridge valid criticisms of Nvidia design flaws
I don't think Northridge are partnered with them, just so happens Northridge are well reputed and Cablemod had sent a bunch of cards to be fixed by them as a result, NR didn't even know that cablemod had sent them the cards as the card owners sent them in direct and Cablemod just paid the bill.

think the issue we have to worry about is, despite the very low sales of this new gen of cards, Nvidia and AMD are still wanting to price high, even these new mid range are $100 too expensive, they should be around $150 less then what they are being sold for.
The prices would be fine if they used the proper sized dies, the 4060ti is using a 190mm2 while the 3060ti used a 392mm2 die. You just can’t cut a die in half and expect to get a decent performance uplift regardless of TSMC N4 being a lot better.

The fact that’s it’s even able to outperform a Samsung 8nm die that’s twice the size shows just how good ADA could have been had Nvidia passed that performance onto the consumer instead of trying to make more money by reducing production costs that’s now backfiring.

Last edited:
I don't think Northridge are partnered with them, just so happens Northridge are well reputed and Cablemod had sent a bunch of cards to be fixed by them as a result, NR didn't even know that cablemod had sent them the cards as the card owners sent them in direct and Cablemod just paid the bill.

This was stated in the video

Cablemod took cards that were damaged from user error, paid the owner for a new card, send the damaged one for repair and once repaired they give away the repaired card for free. Northbridge didn't know about this, Cablemod just started sending cards there and Northbridge assumed the spike in business means the failure rate is going up and asked Nvidia for a recall but it's just a sample bias they didn't know about

I wonder... right now the 80 cards give 70-class performance, the 70-class cards give 60-class performance, and leaks indicate that the 60-class cards give 50-class performance, so could Nvidia perhaps have avoided a lot of the opprobium if they'd straight-out said something along the lines of, "We know GPUs are expensive so we're changing our tiering to create additional room at the low end."?

I wonder... right now the 80 cards give 70-class performance, the 70-class cards give 60-class performance, and leaks indicate that the 60-class cards give 50-class performance, so could Nvidia perhaps have avoided a lot of the opprobium if they'd straight-out said something along the lines of, "We know GPUs are expensive so we're changing our tiering to create additional room at the low end."?

But the 4070 is really a 4050

Last edited:
The prices would be fine if they used the proper sized dies, the 4060ti is using a 190mm2 while the 3060ti used a 392mm2 die. You just can’t cut a die in half and expect to get a decent performance uplift regardless of TSMC N4 being a lot better.

The fact that’s it’s even able to outperform a Samsung 8nm die that’s twice the size shows just how good ADA could have been had Nvidia passed that performance onto the consumer instead of trying to make more money by reducing production costs that’s now backfiring.

It does make you wonder, if they have done this with 4000 series what will they do with 5000 series and the generations after that. I don't feel like they will give up on trying to make these high prices the norm, if anything they will try and squeeze more out in profit by further reducing the cost of each tier whatever way they can even if it feels like to us they are taking the p***. They've proved this gen that they absolutely do not care how consumers feel about them because they know people will still buy their products regardless of how anti consumer they become.

I don't feel like they will give up on trying to make these high prices the norm,

When is the next generation of consoles due? The lifespan of a console seems to be 6-7 years, so that puts us at 2026-27. I expect the next consoles to support 4k gaming with full RT. So I expect we've one or two more generations (24,26) of high-priced video cards before competition from consoles bites.

Back
Top Bottom