• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA 4000 Series

Don
Thankyou yes to be fair that will be the limiting factor this is on my HTPC that may occasionally be used for FS2020 but I think I should stick for that game to my Series X as the CPU in my HTPC is a Xeon 1225v3 4 core no multithreading so by far limiting factor

Offtopic I know but, a <£25 e3-1241v3 will improve that (and boost higher)

Last edited:
Soldato
All your posts are comedy gold :p Even when saying negative things about Nvidia you can't help yourself but to have a dig a AMD and make them out to be even worse. You can't be taken seriously!
I'm just using the numbers provided from the reviews. If that makes me biases then I'll fully admit, I'm very very biased.

Soldato
wondered what people's thoughts please on something demanding like FS2020

3060 TI more grunt - less VRAM
3060 - more VRAM slightly less grunt
4060 - only 8gb VRAM - but could DLSS 3 frame gen really help on a title like FS2020 ?

they are all +/- £30-40 from each other
Worth mentioning that frame gen won't overcome the lack of vram if that's problematic.
I am not going to argue with your numbers but you are not taking into consideration that the fastest card available always has a price premium.

If you are buying a 4090 there is nothing faster that you need to consider but with a 4080 there is and it has to be clear and obvious it offers better performance/£ or why buy it. With previous gens there was an exponentional price increase with performance but with this gen it is a much flatter curve and much worse value in the mid range when compared to the top dog.
If 4080 offers enough performance for one's needs, then perhaps is wiser to buy that and save the difference for future purchases.

Indeed, top end had worse price/performance, I did say that in my initial post that 3090 was a terrible card for gaming, ergo the comparison with 3080 for both 4080 and 4090 as people are making the point for better card per money which isn't necessarily true, if the increase is relatively liniar. Yes, 4080 did get a double bump in price (once promoting a 70 card class as 80 class, then second by the 71% price increase from previous gen), but if we're looking as best for your money 4080 isn't that much worse. In my case, I would have paid significantly more for 4090 vs. 4080 for the performance received.
Personally I'd say customers choose these paths, on the Nvidia front customers have shown they're willing to pay inflated prices and on the AMD side customers have show they weren't that interested in cheaper cards.

As demonstrated by Nvidia gaining and AMD loosing market share over the past decade when that was typically the trend.
Customers are also buying based on marketing, features, performance. The question would be why people weren't (if that's the case), interested in AMD's cheaper cards and why Nvidia was preferred? That's in IHV's hands too.

Anyway, considering the huge stocks, sells aren't that great apparently.

Last edited:
Soldato
Customers are also buying based on marketing, features, performance. The question would be why people weren't (if that's the case), interested in AMD's cheaper cards and why Nvidia was preferred? That's in IHV's hands too.
Customers buy Apple products so I'd question your features and performance thingy here. ;)

Soldato
I've yet to see a single product that's good value from either AMD or Nvidia this generation. Everything they release end up being even worse value than other products in the lineup!

Associate
Do Nvidia GPU's still have a performance advantage over AMD for VR do we know? I dabble with my original Rift occasionally and may upgrade at some point but wondered if that means I may be forced to go Nvidia?

Soldato
Could be true there or not in Apple's case, but it doesn't mean is the same situation here.
Also doesn't mean it's not and Jensen has said he wants Nvidia to be more like Apple, besides i was being facetious as there's no way to prove either of us right, i think customers dictate the direction companies take, you think it's things like marketing, features, and performance. We're basically saying similar things but i suspect you'll disagree. :)

Soldato
My guess is there will be a super refresh end of this year / early next where they give you the performance you should have got at each price tier by using the proper die’s instead of the tier down rubbish we got so far.
If they really push the cycle to be 3 years long then surely they plan to do a Super refresh. It would be god awful, on vram alone, if this is what we're left with until well into 2025.

Soldato
Also doesn't mean it's not and Jensen has said he wants Nvidia to be more like Apple, besides i was being facetious as there's no way to prove either of us right, i think customers dictate the direction companies take, you think it's things like marketing, features, and performance. We're basically saying similar things but i suspect you'll disagree. :)
Of course customers dictate, but they can be "helped" towards what they dictate by what I've said: marketing, feature, characteristics. AMD won't win customers over by having worse marketing / branding, less features, worse performance. My purchases are made based on the last two things.

Soldato
Micron announced its gddr7 memory modules will become available for use in graphics cards by middle of 2024

first Gen gddr7 operates at 36Gbps. Here is the potential bandwidth of GPUs operating at these bus widths

• 128-bit @ 36 Gbps: 576 GB/s
  • 192-bit @ 36 Gbps: 846 GB/s
  • 256-bit @ 36 Gbps: 1152 GB/s
  • 320-bit @ 36 Gbps: 1440 GB/s
  • 384-bit @ 36 Gbps: 1728 GB/s

Associate
Do Nvidia GPU's still have a performance advantage over AMD for VR do we know? I dabble with my original Rift occasionally and may upgrade at some point but wondered if that means I may be forced to go Nvidia?

I am no expert on VR and do not play with it but my understanding is that Nv works ok whereas AMD drivers are pretty awful for VR purposes.

Check again when you are looking to upgrade but it appears that VR is a very low priority for the AMD driver team.

Don
Micron announced its gddr7 memory modules will become available for use in graphics cards by middle of 2024

first Gen gddr7 operates at 36Gbps. Here is the potential bandwidth of GPUs operating at these bus widths

• 128-bit @ 36 Gbps: 576 GB/s
  • 192-bit @ 36 Gbps: 846 GB/s
  • 256-bit @ 36 Gbps: 1152 GB/s
  • 320-bit @ 36 Gbps: 1440 GB/s
  • 384-bit @ 36 Gbps: 1728 GB/s
Don't forget with the way the lower end is being even more cost optimised greed driven, then lower end memory busses are likely to continue

64-bit @ 36Gbps: 288GB/s
96-bit @ 36Gbps: 432GB/s

Back
Top Bottom