• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA 4000 Series

Soldato
You can't have crappy ports and good sales when the hardware is weak (people not buying). Not as many feature, yes. But... you have Metro LL running great all around. How many followed in its footsteps? For sure it wasn't Hogwarts, TLOU and the sort... Yes, current gen of midend cards is crap. But there's nothing wrong with the tech, is the price/marketing.
BTW, you can always look at it like this: weak hw -> more pressure to optimize the game if they expect good sales.

Moreover, having good hardware does not guarantee that much. Look at processors, how many games make use of 12-16 cores?

My 2080 didn't turn into e waste thanks to upscaling tech. Best fine wine card I've had. :)
I am a mainstream gamer and the stagnation since 2016 is getting worse.

In the real world literally every gamer I know has sub £500 cards. I know very few people with cards over £500 and many of those cards are slower than an RTX2080.
Just look at Steam. The top card is still a GTX1650 which is slower than a GTX1060. But a few years ago the GTX1060 was in the same slot.

I think a lot of enthusiasts on here are sadly mistaken at what type of hardware most gamers have. So a lot here complain about their slow hardware, but their slow hardware is still going to be faster than the new hardware many might actually get in the next 12 months.

But you just have to look at the performance jumps at mainstream overall, especially with VRAM. Between 2009 and 2016,Vram went up from 512MB/1GB to 6GB/8GB.

Since 2016 it's stayed at 8GB, with only three models going past 8GB.

Then there is skrinkflation. Turing V1 was stagnation in the mainstream. Turing V2/RDNA1 was better. You had the RTX3060/RX6600 series jack up pricing and were poor price/performance improvements. The RTX7600/RTX4060 are the same. So since Pascal/Polaris there has been only 1 maybe 1.5 generations of decent price/performance improvements at launch at the mainstream IMHO.

This is done on purpose to push people to buy higher tier models.

Last edited:
Associate
I am a mainstream gamer and the stagnation since 2016 is getting worse.

In the real world literally every gamer I know has sub £500 cards. I know very few people with cards over £500 and many of those cards are slower than an RTX2080.
Just look at Steam. The top card is still a GTX1650 which is slower than a GTX1060. But a few years ago the GTX1060 was in the same slot.

I think a lot of enthusiasts on here are sadly mistaken at what type of hardware most gamers have. So a lot here complain about their slow hardware, but their slow hardware is still going to be faster than the new hardware many might actually get in the next 12 months.

But you just have to look at the performance jumps at mainstream overall, especially with VRAM. Between 2009 and 2016,Vram went up from 512MB/1GB to 6GB/8GB.

Since 2016 it's stayed at 8GB, with only three models going past 8GB.

Then there is skrinkflation. Turing V1 was stagnation in the mainstream. Turing V2/RDNA1 was better. You had the RTX3060/RX6600 series jack up pricing and were poor price/performance improvements. The RTX7600/RTX4060 are the same. So since Pascal/Polaris there has been only 1 maybe 1.5 generations of decent price/performance improvements at launch at the mainstream IMHO.

This is done on purpose to push people to buy higher tier models.
I agree but this time, especially Nvidia, went to far with the RTX 4000 series, and to a lesser degree AMD, and now people are pushing back, even the 4090 has started to see declining sales and the 4080 sales are getting worse, though the 4070 is not as bad, as it still the cheapest mid tier card you can buy.

The problem though is, does Nvidia care anymore?

Soldato
I agree but this time, especially Nvidia, went to far with the RTX 4000 series, and to a lesser degree AMD, and now people are pushing back, even the 4090 has started to see declining sales and the 4080 sales are getting worse, though the 4070 is not as bad, as it still the cheapest mid tier card you can buy.

The problem though is, does Nvidia care anymore?

Why so you think Nvidia marketing is going into overdrive about DLSS? Gamers are going on about upscaling without questioning why Nvidia or AMD are going on about it. It's because they want to use upscaling to hide the skrinkflation and the tech press will have their back.

Trash like the RTX4060 or RX7600 look so much better if you apply upscaling or insert frames.

Last edited:
Associate
Why so you think Nvidia marketing is going into overdrive about DLSS? Gamers are going on about upscaling without questioning why Nvidia or AMD are going on about it. It's because they want to use upscaling to hide the skrinkflation and the tech press will have their back.

Trash like the RTX4060 or RX7600 look so much better if you apply upscaling or insert frames.
Nvidia is pushing DLSS and other feature to hide the poor performance of there cards, in rasterization, and it does get people talking about those features, but in the main that is all people are doing, talking, as no-one is buying the cards because people want value for money, as well as noticeable uplifts in performance, and they do not see it, DLSS or not, in the current generations, so the marketing has failed.

At the moment as far as I can see people buying Graphics cards are either those who have to have the latest card on every release or people who have to buy one, e.g. faulty card, and that market is a finite one.

Soldato
Associate
You can get a 6800XT for the same price and better performance with the 16GB of VRAM using a 256bit Memory Bus.

Associate
I'm also in the shall I get a 4090 camp, it's a ripoff but the least of a rip off of the current gen. That or 6950XT. All in or all out (as in buy last gen).

Soldato
I'm also in the shall I get a 4090 camp, it's a ripoff but the least of a rip off of the current gen. That or 6950XT. All in or all out (as in buy last gen).
It is expensive. But it is also blisteringly powerful. I would rather the 4090 than the half arsed mid range cards which are way overpriced per their spec, and ultimately not fast enough anyway for my use case.

Last edited:
Associate
If considering a 6950XT then maybe worth waiting to see what the 7800XT is like, as depending on rumours, its either no better that a 6800XT or beats the 4070 Ti. If its closer to a 4070 Ti then worth the wait and may cost less.

Last edited:
Associate
If considering a 6950XT then maybe worth waiting to see what the 7800XT is like, as depending on rumours, its either no better that a 6800XT or beats the 4070 Ti. If its closer to a 4070 Ti then worth the wait and may cost less.

Yes that's a very good point. The only issue is that the number of 6950XTs in stock is running out.

Associate
Yes that's a very good point. The only issue is that the number of 6950XTs in stock is running out.
True, and its a case of dammed if you do and dammed if you don't.
Really just comes down to luck.

If you can get a good deal on a 6950XT then its a good buy but I would say anything over £600, is pushing it for a last gen card.

I personally am going to gamble and wait for Battlemage next year before buying anything.

Associate
True, and its a case of dammed if you do and dammed if you don't.
Really just comes down to luck.

If you can get a good deal on a 6950XT then its a good buy but I would say anything over £600, is pushing it for a last gen card.

I personally am going to gamble and wait for Battlemage next year before buying anything.

Yeah if ocuk still had it up for £580 I might have pulled the trigger by now.

Back
Top Bottom