• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA 4000 Series

High end does not mean just the most expensive milking edition card.
Urgh, this argument again...

It's about chip size and cut chip vs different tier chip... the tiers are changing again.

This is bad for you, me and everyone else.

Nvidia started this with the 6xx series when they released the mid-range 2/3 chip as high end & 2 of them on the 690.

Then the real high end chip as the 7xx series.

Now we are seeing tier dilution again.

Jensen improving margins for shareholders by selling smaller chips with higher performance efficiency (relative to competition) for a bigger margin by re-labelling them.

On one hand, it is impressive that their 2/3 chip can be positioned as high end (compared to competition)... but selling a 2/3 chip rebadged as full size chip because of performance improvement is bad for the consumer... I'm not sure why anyone like you is quite so happy to defend them for it??

Enjoy the blatant price gouging, you seem happy about it!

Vanilla x80 always been a cut down chip except for 30 series. They won't release 4080 on launch because of obvious reasons.

3090: GA102
3080ti: GA102
3080: GA102

Titan RTX: TU102
2080ti: TU102
2080: TU104

Titan Xp: GP102
1080ti: GP102
1080: GP104

Titan X: GM200
980ti: GM200
980: GM204

Older gens like 700. 600. 500 series usually share the same chip with disabled specs towards to bottom 90/80/70/60ti
Awwww... you're young... how good for you.

5xx series was the last one to have correct tiering... you're 1-2 generations to short of your list.

More recently the titan/ti has been what the *80 series is supposed to be & it's only because they have no competition in the market for their high end parts.

It's kinda sad how manufacturers have found ways to make cutting chips economical. It was more fun when amd and Nvidia launched mid range cards that were actually high end GPUs just with some cores disabled via software and could be unlockedn

It's kinda sad how manufacturers have found ways to make cutting chips economical. It was more fun when amd and Nvidia launched mid range cards that were actually high end GPUs just with some cores disabled via software and could be unlockedn
Yessss!!!

I think my 2nd or 3rd ever GPU purchase was an X800pro & I was able to pick the right one to unlock it to an X800XT or something similar... Sapphire brand, I think it was. Was a teenager and could barely get the funds together to get the x800pro... the low production volume and "overpriced" x800xt was selling for the inflated price of a whole £450 or something! hehe

Not long after I managed to squeeze enough out of my student side income to buy 2x 8800 Ultra... my first SLI experience that spent most of its life living as a barebones on the side of my uni dorm room desk powering some super special 2560x1600 60hz dell 32" monitor.

The one and only time I spent a month or two of my life on that long running mmorpu, I forget the same... many season pack releases.

I want meaningful performance improvements at a given price point from one generation to the next.

I don't care if they use "cut down", "low tier" chips.

How does it perform? What does it cost?

The performance is either worth the money, or it isn't.

Reactions: TNA
I want meaningful performance improvements at a given price point from one generation to the next.

Then you're getting what you want every generation.

The tech excites me... I get annoyed when I feel it's being taken from me or left in the background against profit, even if I understand the business model.

Now I'm at the stage I just know I'll get the 4090 & then want to upgrade to the 4090ti when it's released... but spending the day to rebuild my loop is no longer as exciting as it once was, it's now more annoying... so I'd really rather they just give me the option to buy the 4090ti at launch, even if it's at an inflated price.

It's an interesting shift when time becomes your priority over funds. At least, coming from a poor family.

I don't think I've ever actually gamed on either of the 3090tis I have... I just want the best when I have the drive/time to play... 3090ti still isn't good enough for 5120x1440@240hz

I'm getting ever closer to reverting to air cooled, or at least AIO for CPU.

Yea, but naming matters...

apparently :p

Yea, but naming matters...

apparently :p
It does when it's intentionally misleading people into purchasing something that isn't what they believe it to be.

Buy a large cod and chips... get a small cod and small chips, but the price is the same because it's what they can offer you after slowly shrinking the size of a large to what was a small... then later pay twice the price and you should be happy... because it's all you're offered and there's no other chippy nearby.

Common... that gotta be the best English comparison to the issue :P

It does when it's intentionally misleading people into purchasing something that isn't what they believe it to be.

Buy a large cod and chips... get a small cod and small chips, but the price is the same because it's what they can offer you after slowly shrinking the size of a large to what was a small... then later pay twice the price and you should be happy... because it's all you're offered and there's no other chippy nearby.

Common... that gotta be the best English comparison to the issue :p

Sure, for the avarage user this maybe the case. But anyone on here will surely have read a few reviews. As long as price for performance is better across the range, then things can't be too bad. Plus if Nvidia are getting away with it, it means AMD are up to the same or rdna 3 is relatively crap.

Sure, for the avarage user this maybe the case. But anyone on here will surely have read a few reviews. As long as price for performance is better across the range, then things can't be too bad. Plus if Nvidia are getting away with it, it means AMD are up to the same or rdna 3 is relatively crap.
That was part of the point I'm making... AMD have been 1-1.5 generations behind the curve for years... now Nvidia are jumping on the fact that AMD are finally 2 generations behind.

I hope AMD & maybe Intel can finally fix this monopoly.

Who knows, with the recent GPU sale ban to China... at this rate... within the next 4-8 years... it'll be a Chinese company that finally gives Nvidia a challenge.

I grew up in the days where Nvidia and ATi were trading blows pretty much every generation... AMD bought ATi & killed ATi. It's hard to ignore that the CEO is/was the neice of Nvidia CEO... monopoly much?? anti-competitive behaviour much? hmmmm

I just want some real competition back in the market... I'm lucky enough not to care about the price... what I want most is to watch the tech progression & now Nvidia are throwing it in our face that they've held back their tech for at least 4 years to milk profits... I want the real latest tech... not this 4 year old trash that's sold for an excessive premium... I want that battle back again - it was so exciting to see what would come next... the real time tech demos on new released were some of my favourite things to play on a new card.

The nude mods for the Nvidia fairy were always fun to watch as a teenager hahaha

RTX 4090 price will be the same as RTX 3090 launch price 2 years ago.

No chance, they will be $2k+, these gpus cost a lot more to make than Ampere did on Samsung 8nm node, the TSMC 4nm node is over double the cost on a good day and I'm sure they are asking more due to these so called shortages they are all having. Also if performance is more than normal then expect more than normal pricing right from the start without the node pricing issues.

This is not apple iphones rehashed with a new number and with same hardware and sold at same price as last year, a good jedi mind trick apple pulled with that other day fooling people to think they are getting better phones for the same price but reality is they should have cost less than last year as it's old tech in them now. The true updated ones have a real price attached to them as you may have seen and they didn't cost the same as last years.

Nvidia and AMD are going to milk this new generation and last generation for every penny they can get and you wait and see AMD will pull the same tricks with high end first and no mid range or low range for nearly a year if not longer while they clear out old stock or make more old gen to fill that gap as they are cheaper to make with now a higher profit margain compared to the new gen chips. Just look at the pricing for the X670E motherboards to come, they are over double the cost of previous same X570 models.

Just wait for the shenanigans to come with the fake msrps and street prices nothing like the fake msrps and then they will blame AIBs again and while doing that they will create artificial shortages for the reference/FE models and helping the scalpers again that triggers this whole mess we had last 2 years. Just wait you can see it coming and even some peoples comments on other forums and sites are saying they can't wait to scalp them again.:mad::rolleyes:

Now I'm at the stage I just know I'll get the 4090 & then want to upgrade to the 4090ti when it's released... but spending the day to rebuild my loop is no longer as exciting as it once was, it's now more annoying... so I'd really rather they just give me the option to buy the 4090ti at launch, even if it's at an inflated price.
They won't do that as they know people like yourselves will just buy 2 cards if they stagger the launches.

Back
Top Bottom