• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA 4000 Series

That really depends on resolution. 4k and higher (super ultra wide etc) start to show more and more of a gap eventually reaching 57% in some tests. But that's not a common use case, not even close.

More common use is in AI processing as then 4080S is considerably faster here than 4080. But that doesn't show in games at all, as DLSS and other Nvidia AI boosters barely use tensor cores as is - in every test I've seen there's essentially 0 difference between slowest and fastest RTX card (always same % of speed boost with DLSS 3 and FG etc.).

Is under 30% in 4k Raster, at least at TPU, and about 30% with RT give or take . Still pretty far away from the 57% price difference in my example.
As for AI... could be, but mostly here we're interested in games. At higher resolution and/or heavy modding, perhaps you could break the 16GB vRAM limit, but that's a different talk.

So yeah, still think 4090 is quite far away from that price/performance "worth it" badge it was given for so long.

BTW, going by overclockers 960 pounds vs 1690 pounds ... that's almost 66% more expensive for the 4090...

vs

relative-performance-rt-3840-2160.png
relative-performance-3840-2160.png

I think the point with 4090 is that this time it actually brings quite measurable gains. Most of the time TOTL brought no more than 10% over step below, while often costing 100% more think Titan vs 780ti, Titan X vs 980ti, Titan Xp vs 1080ti

Is under 30% in 4k Raster, at least at TPU, and about 30% with RT give or take . Still pretty far away from the 57% price difference in my example.
As for AI... could be, but mostly here we're interested in games. At higher resolution and/or heavy modding, perhaps you could break the 16GB vRAM limit, but that's a different talk.
4k is far below the actual high resolutions used in some cases. Not a common thing, as I said, far from it. There are however monitors with resolution of 5120×2160 and higher already available (e.g. Samsung Odyssey Neo G95NC with 7680 x 2160 resolution). I've seen bunch of tests on such, which is where 4090 was in palaces even 57% faster - and still actually playable in games. There are use cases there where 4080 is just too slow to be of a good use and 4090 can barely do it.

Last edited:
I think the point with 4090 is that this time it actually brings quite measurable gains. Most of the time TOTL brought no more than 10% over step below, while often costing 100% more think Titan vs 780ti, Titan X vs 980ti, Titan Xp vs 1080ti
2080ti was quite a bit faster than 2080, too. 20% as per TPU. 2080 $700 vs $1000 for 2080ti MSRP. Street price, if I remember correctly, was just as inflated as 4090 is (relatively speaking), so although it was a significant difference, it was tough to justify it.
4k is far below the actual high resolutions used in some cases. Not a common thing, as I said, far from it. There are however monitors with resolution of 5120×2160 and higher already available (e.g. Samsung Odyssey Neo G95NC with 7680 x 2160 resolution). I've seen bunch of tests on such, which is where 4090 was in palaces even 57% faster - and still actually playable in games. There are use cases there where 4080 is just too slow to be of a good use and 4090 can barely do it.
Fair enough. But in general it was talked about in the context of regular gaming, so up to around 4k.

Last edited:
2080ti was quite a bit faster than 2080, too. 20% as per TPU. 2080 $700 vs $1000 for 2080ti MSRP. Street price, if I remember correctly, was just as inflated as 4090 is (relatively speaking), so although it was a significant difference, it was tough to justify it.
Yeah true - I remember only bare bones models(like EVGA black) were MSRP. 2080ti was also hard to justify because it was first 80ti gpu to hit 1k mark. It set the stage to where we are now.

4090 is 30-35% faster in raster and 40-50% faster in RT, TPU tested the 4090 with a 5800X and never updated relative performance chart.

For me as a 3080 owner £1000 for a 50% upgrade vs £1600 for a 100% upgrade still makes the 4080S trash at anything above £800.

4090 is 30-35% faster in raster and 40-50% faster in RT, TPU tested the 4090 with a 5800X and never updated relative performance chart.

For me as a 3080 owner £1000 for a 50% upgrade vs £1600 for a 100% upgrade still makes the 4080S trash at anything above £800.
Thats the reason 4090 is 25% more popular on Steam than 4080 - this never happened before.
Imagine GTX980 being more popular than GTX 970 :D

Last edited:
Last edited:

Faulty 12V2x6 connector found with RTX 4080 Super card — it could be a one-off problem, but caution is advisable​

The problem stems from unspecified connector dimensions and improper pin coatings.

:rolleyes:

To be honest I can't remember if mine clicked! But I pushed mine in so hard, I'm surprised my GPU didn't click into the other side of the case :cry: :cry:

On another note!

Loaded up Ratchet and Clank of which I've been wanting to play for some time and decent frame rates ( 3070 ti was pretty *** ), and it doesn't drop below 130, average 140 maxed out and I didn't realize it was 2am! :D

Last edited:
I think whilst not great value, path tracing, unobtanium settings etc would be the reason for getting a 4090. Also theres a lot to be said for just having the best, not having that nagging doubt you should have just stumped up the extra and had done with it.

Carrying on from that we all said the job of the OG 4080 was to upswell people to the 4090. Maybe with the AI boom there's no need to do that anymore, or they've just unsold all the people who could be tempted

Last edited:
I think whilst not great value, path tracing, unobtanium settings etc would be the reason for getting a 4090. Also theres a lot to be said for just having the best, not having that nagging doubt you should have just stumped up the extra and had done with it.

I've always had the 0070 series cards, 970/2070/3070 and every single time down the line I wished I'd got the 80 series. So I went for what I could realistically afford! My 4080 super OC runs all games at very high frame rates maxed out, which for me is just what I need. Atleast I wont be saying I wish I'd spent that little extra :cry:

I wont be getting a 4k monitor any time soon either, OLED Wide is good enough for me

Considering the jump from 3080 to 4080 Super. Currently running OLED 34" but considering upgrading to a 32" 4k OLED. Might hold off on both though and see what the 5000 series brings, haven't long got the Alienware 34"

Considering the jump from 3080 to 4080 Super. Currently running OLED 34" but considering upgrading to a 32" 4k OLED. Might hold off on both though and see what the 5000 series brings, haven't long got the Alienware 34"
I'm in an almost identical boat. My head is telling me I don't really need to upgrade from the 3080 but boy do I want to.

I'm in an almost identical boat. My head is telling me I don't really need to upgrade from the 3080 but boy do I want to.
Very tempting! Should have gone with 4090 at launch and held off the AW3423DWF in hindsight, 32" 4K OLED was always the goal however the AW3423DWF at £665 in the Xmas deals was too tempting to pass up. Didn't expect the 32" 4K OLED's to come so early in 2024.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom