• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA 4000 Series

Sorry, thought you were looking at 4090's.

I always said the 4090 was the only 4 series worth getting...at a price.

I put my money where my mouth was and bought one a while back, the FE is quite the card.
I recently went from a 3090 Ti to 4090. Crazy that games like Bodycam went from 29fps in some areas to now 60fps minimum. Means its playable, even without FSR on highest graphics settings.

Given the £400 difference would you go for a 4090 over a 4080?
That was the question I had on my mind when getting 4090 not long after release. And yes, if I had 4080, I would be likely thinking of upgrading to 5080+ now. But since I got 4090 (and £400 was about the difference in price back then too), I don't feel any need to upgrade at all currently and will likely skip 5k generation completely.

That was the question I had on my mind when getting 4090 not long after release. And yes, if I had 4080, I would be likely thinking of upgrading to 5080+ now. But since I got 4090 (and £400 was about the difference in price back then too), I don't feel any need to upgrade at all currently and will likely skip 5k generation completely.
Those that ended up buying a 4080 and then go and get a 5080 will have spent far more than the 4090 cost and may not even get 4090 performance.

Best move was the ones who got 3080 for £650 and have saved money by skipping the scalped 3080s and the ridiculous 3090 jenson no lube edition and avoided ada entirely :p 4090 was the only gpu to make sense at launch and even if folks hold onto it and skip 50xx entirely, they'll still have an incredible gpu but as shown, the ones who buy such gpus like that are often the ones who are more likely to upgrade every new gen to the new flagship ;) :p :D

Couldn't care less on the number/tier of gpu now, bang per buck is what is important.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: TNA
Just as long as it doesn't contain a filthy AMD chip eh ;)

If amd can't manage to do the following with their next gen:

- improve their upscaling to even be in the same league as dlss
- rtx hdr competitor
- get anti lag 2 in more games (tech now finally competes with reflex but adoption rate is an issue as per usual)
- ray reconstruction
- ability to play rtx remix titles without graphical artifacts and severe perf issues (which isn't on them tbf since nvidia owned tech....)
- DLDSR competitor
- improve their RT perf to beat ada (simply matching last gen is no longer good enough)

Then yes, shall be avoiding amd :p

If amd can't manage to do the following with their next gen:

- improve their upscaling to even be in the same league as dlss
- rtx hdr competitor
- get anti lag 2 in more games (tech now finally competes with reflex but adoption rate is an issue as per usual)
- ray reconstruction
- ability to play rtx remix titles without graphical artifacts and severe perf issues (which isn't on them tbf since nvidia owned tech....)
- DLDSR competitor
- improve their RT perf to beat ada (simply matching last gen is no longer good enough)

Then yes, shall be avoiding amd :p
Nvidia it is.

Yup and that's not even factoring in that nvidia will likely be better for power efficiency too or all the other "nice to haves"
AMD won't change anything until ps6 time. The next significant change in architecture will come via "sponsorship" of Sony and Microsoft. Hopefully they'll get it right by then.

Software wise, also behind... Nvidia played their cards right.

Is there an advantage for the AD102 die?
It's bigger.

Advantage in what way? Until people get their hands on them the only known advantage is the physical size. There's a possibility they've forgotten, or not be able to, disable certain parts of the core but we won't know until people get to test it.

More surprising/telling for me personally is that they've managed to salvage enough defective 4090 dies to make it worth using them in an entirely new SKU.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom