• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA 4000 Series

Well it has, there are large stores like Mindfactory who report the 7800 XT outselling any Nvidia GPU, i would consider that doing very well, but we don't know how that translates on the broadest level.

AMD's discrete GPU marketshare according to JPR is going nowhere

Relative to Nvidia, AMD's desktop GPU sales seems to be at near record lows

Last edited:
I know that... not the question i'm asking.

The 7800XT is not in the price bracket where most sales happen. If Mindfactory is saying the 7800XT outsells low end Nvidia GPU's then that indicates Mindfactory's customers are a very small niche of enthusiasts.
On a broad level 60 series products are where most sales happen, that's reflected in steam data as well; the high end market is small, so if a PC store claims their top selling GPU is a high end model, that's an indication of their customer base, not the market

Last edited:
The 7800XT is not in the price bracket where most sales happen. If Mindfactory is saying the 7800XT outsells low end Nvidia GPU's then that indicates Mindfactory's customers are a very small niche of enthusiasts.
On a broad level 60 series products are where most sales happen, that's reflected in steam data as well; the high end market is small, so if a PC store claims their top selling GPU is a high end model, that's an indication of their customer base, not the market

How do we know given that Steam doesn't list RX 7000 series.

Last edited:
so they're just not selling very well (at least not to people that use Steam). It's not like Steam are excluding them or surely they'd exclude all of them.

No one believes GPU's like the 7800 XT aren't on Steam because they are not selling well, since release and to this day its the only RX 7000 series GPU that shows up on the first page of the rain forest best sellers, multiple versions of it, the 7900 series doesn't even show up in the top 100 half the time.

Last edited:
How do we know given that Steam doesn't list RX 7000 series.

By looking at sales data for broader stores where average people shop

E.g Amazon, its a general store that caters to normies and they would be moving far more units than enthusiast stores like OCUk or mindfactory

8 of the top 10 GPUs on Amazon are Nvidia RTX 3060/4060/4070 models. AMD models in top 10 are 6700XT and 6650XT

The first high end GPU to appears is the RTX4080 as 25th spot and 7800XT at 28th spot

Last edited:
By looking at sales data for broader stores where average people shop

E.g Amazon, its a general store that caters to normies and they would be moving far more units than enthusiast stores like OCUk or mindfactory

8 of the top 10 GPUs on Amazon are Nvidia RTX 3060/4060/4070 models. AMD models in top 10 are 6700XT and 6650XT

The first high end GPU to appears is the RTX4080 as 25th spot and 7800XT at 28th spot

Right and the 4080 appears 2/3 up the charts, it actually ranks quite high. A chunk higher than the 3090, higher than the RX 580, there are many millions of those out in the wild.

Read above.

Last edited:
No one believes GPU's like the 7800 XT aren't on Steam because they are not selling well, since release and to this day its the only RX 7000 series GPU that shows up on the first page of the rain forest best sellers, multiple versions of it, the 7900 series doesn't even show up in the top 100 half the time.
i seriously wouldnt believe rain forest on their best selling items, its probs there to help get rid of stock. not saying its a bad seller, but wouldnt trust them on most things tbh

I personally think it's quite interesting to see as we have had people for ages saying how ampere and ada wasn't popular with gamers for xyz reasons yet as shown, they have proven to be pretty popular.
I don't know how you got to that conclusion. If the "people" have been saying that for ages it implies it's been like that in the past. The graph is about current times, and obviously things change with time - GPU dies, people upgrade for one reason or the other (usually whole computer) etc. None of the makes the "people" wrong in the past - series 2000 sold really badly, 1060 was topping all charts even after 3k series has been released (yay crypto mining and scalpers) etc. Currently situation is a bit better in a way that 3k series GPUs at least are relatively easy to buy and still good enough for plenty of people. And 1k series is just old and likely fans etc. dead by now, in many.

Last edited:
i seriously wouldnt believe rain forest on their best selling items, its probs there to help get rid of stock. not saying its a bad seller, but wouldnt trust them on most things tbh
You do realise they are also a marketplace, which means plenty of independent sellers there? Which also means your assumption of "getting rid of stock" makes no sense really, in such case - Amazon do not have most of the stock there, it's other sellers and hence no motivation to doctor stats.

Can't see that chart being real as going by that chart 54% of the market has the latest Ampere or Lovelace Gpu's
Neithet company is happy to share their stats, hence all of such market analysis and predictions are really quite wrong, with huge errors - the data they have access to is very limited and often desktop GPUs are mixed with mobile ones etc. You can't create anything meaningful with such patchy data.

AMD's discrete GPU marketshare according to JPR is going nowhere

Relative to Nvidia, AMD's desktop GPU sales seems to be at near record lows

Other data I've seen shows AMD sales did not change meaningfully and instead it was Intel's sales that Nvidia took over (as these dropped to almost 0). I don't trust any of such research as always going to the sources one can see their data sources are miniscule fragments of the market and so graphs produced are pretty useless and most likely highly inaccurate.

Out of interest is that best sellers list regional (specific to the .co.uk version of the site)? Maybe the steam survey results are international and AMD aren't as popular in all regions?

Or maybe the AMD cards aren't being identified well and get lumped under something more generic?

Or maybe Valve, who I believe use AMD APUs in the Steam Deck, are working with Nvidia to make Intel and AMD look bad?

Last edited:
Out of interest is that best sellers list regional (specific to the .co.uk version of the site)? Maybe the steam survey results are international and AMD aren't as popular in all regions?

Or maybe the AMD cards aren't being identified well and get lumped under something more generic?

Or maybe Valve, who I believe use AMD APUs in the Steam Deck, are working with Nvidia to make Intel and AMD look bad?

US.

And..

I will add tho he is right about Steam, i had a Steam Hardware Survey request a couple of months ago, it absolutely did recognise my 7800 XT, and yet it or anything other than the 7900 XTX shows up in the Survey, as if that's the only RDNA 3 card that sells, we all know the 7800 XT is the best selling RDNA 3 card and yet according to Steam it doesn't even exist.

Clearly for whatever reason that Survey is ignoring everything but the 7900 XTX.

Other data I've seen shows AMD sales did not change meaningfully and instead it was Intel's sales that Nvidia took over (as these dropped to almost 0). I don't trust any of such research as always going to the sources one can see their data sources are miniscule fragments of the market and so graphs produced are pretty useless and most likely highly inaccurate.

JPR's GPU data comes from analyzing imports/exports, sales and stock distribution movement for discrete GPU products across 31 countries https://www.jonpeddie.com/store/mar...-the-graphics-processor-unit-market/?swcfpc=1

JPR does publish all their workings and data sources in an excel format dataset, but they charge $3000 for access to their data

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom