• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA 4000 Series

Caporegime
I should try out Doom Eternal again, last time I played it was 144Hz on ultrawide, 240Hz and a better mouse will surely deliver a new experience.

Was also thinking the same when I see the previous videos! Definetly a game for showcasing HDR and motion on the 240hz oled! I played it a while back on my 4k 55" oled and perf was very good on the 3080 maxed out even without DLSS but would need to use dlss perf to get close to 240hz.

Of course with DLSS 3.7 and the e preset, the perf. preset will look very good compared to the <3.7 and e preset days :cool:

Your 4090 will probably do just fine without dlss no doubt but then dlss in this game looks better than native and the AA options so may as well use it.

Also, those videos were when I had the 5600x cpu and not the 5800x3d so this might help keep the fps up to get closer to 240hz! Might record another video to compare to the above just out of interest.

Associate

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Was also thinking the same when I see the previous videos! Definetly a game for showcasing HDR and motion on the 240hz oled! I played it a while back on my 4k 55" oled and perf was very good on the 3080 maxed out even without DLSS but would need to use dlss perf to get close to 240hz.

Of course with DLSS 3.7 and the e preset, the perf. preset will look very good compared to the <3.7 and e preset days :cool:

Your 4090 will probably do just fine without dlss no doubt but then dlss in this game looks better than native and the AA options so may as well use it.

Also, those videos were when I had the 5600x cpu and not the 5800x3d so this might help keep the fps up to get closer to 240hz! Might record another video to compare to the above just out of interest.
Gave it a go and yep a new lease of fast-paced gaming life :D

Without DLSS, at 4K Ultra Nightmare it's ~150fps average in busy action areas and 200fps in lower action :D

I've not seen any difference in sharpness or detail using DLSS though, seems Eternal is purely using DLSS to boost fps which is fine, with DLSS Quality enabled the game hits the 235fps cap at all times lol.

I do notice some specular light reflection shimmering with DLSS enabled though which I expected anyway given the age of the engine.

Here's a recording I did last night using NV App at 120fps, then slowed down in Davinci to 25% speed per clip. Games like this work so well for high framerate recording :cool:

Caporegime

4K DLSS Quality = 1440P render, and your 3080 performance is a chunk lower than mine... i'd say about 20% :p

Sorry.... not sorry :D

Last edited:
Caporegime
4K DLSS Quality = 1440P render, and your 3080 performance is a chunk lower than mine... i'd say about 20% :p

Sorry.... not sorry :D

Remind me again how old the 3080 is and what it cost all that time ago for that level of performance......

Also, in the heavier RT scenes where you're in a metal and glass base, Nvidia pulls ahead because of all the RT reflections. Those clips of mine are in areas where there isn't much RT reflections happening.

And of course you then have the better iq of dlss over native too.

Sorry but not sorry :D

Caporegime

Without DLSS, at 4K Ultra Nightmare it's ~150fps average in busy action areas and 200fps in lower action :D

I've not seen any difference in sharpness or detail using DLSS though, seems Eternal is purely using DLSS to boost fps which is fine, with DLSS Quality enabled the game hits the 235fps cap at all times lol.

I do notice some specular light reflection shimmering with DLSS enabled though which I expected anyway given the age of the engine.

Here's a recording I did last night using NV App at 120fps, then slowed down in Davinci to 25% speed per clip. Games like this work so well for high framerate recording :cool:

The dlss iq improvements are very noticeable with glass objects, one area/map of the game is in like an old church with glass panes and on native, those look awful in motion as there is a weird ghosting/trail, dlss does not have this. But this was 2-3 years ago so maybe native issues were fixed...

Will give a go myself as curious to see how it looks on the aw32 as well as if any perf improvements with now having the 5800x3d

Last edited:
Caporegime
Remind me again how old the 3080 is and what it cost all that time ago for that level of performance......

Also, in the heavier RT scenes where you're in a metal and glass base, Nvidia pulls ahead because of all the RT reflections. Those clips of mine are in areas where there isn't much RT reflections happening.

And of course you then have the better iq of dlss over native too.

Sorry but not sorry :D

Oh it was a good GPU, i liked the 3080 but at £700 it was a bit out of my price range, not that i'm saying it was overpriced, it wasn't, at the time the next GPU up was the 3090 and that was it, the best you could get, yeah good GPU... Still is.

I'll see when i get to the Metal and glass scenes, i'm uploading a 4K video now...

Caporegime
Oh it was a good GPU, i liked the 3080 but at £700 it was a bit out of my price range, not that i'm saying it was overpriced, it wasn't, at the time the next GPU up was the 3090 and that was it, the best you could get, yeah good GPU... Still is.

I'll see when i get to the Metal and glass scenes, i'm uploading a 4K video now...

Mine cost £650 and even less once the game code was sold on along with vega 56 and 290 so I can't complain one bit at all, worked out being my best bang per buck GPU ever and also the most future proofed with having dlss and good RT perf. For next lot of games coming out and now having a 4k 240hz screen, 50xx is needed though.

3090 was a joke of a GPU, extra £750 for more vram (which hasn't helped outside of a couple of games and even then still not helped much because of the grunt running out as happened with every other GPU of that time) and average of 10-15% better perf :cry: But TBF for those who couldn't get a 3080 without spending £1+k, it made more sense just to get a 3090 fe. Nvidia learned from their mistakes hence why the 4090 excels way past the xx80 GPU this time, they won't make that mistake with the 3080 to 3090 again :cry:

DF did a very good video on doom eternal that showed how the performance difference between ampere and RDNA 2 changed when you got to more intensive RT scenarios and highlights very well the big problem with amd GPUs when RT becomes more intensive.

Caporegime
4K native, same settings.

Averaging about 95 inside and 105 outside, weirdly, The AMD software says its a bit higher but who knows... i think i prefer it at 1440P, it feels better.

You have to admit that's impressive for a £470 GPU.

KnFAKM2.png

Associate

Nice edit, enjoyed those slow mo chainsaw kills :D

Reactions: mrk
Man of Honour
interesting.
forgive if already posted only just read it.
Seems illogical to use such poor paste it degrades in only a few months? Won't that just result in more support and RMA requests and bad experiences, leading to switching brand for their next purchase? I can't imagine they want to encourage users to routinely disassemble their cards to replace it either. That said... bean counters and logic aren't the closest of friends.

Back
Top Bottom