• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA 4000 Series

Permabanned
So how many 3000 series owners will be considering upgrading? IMO graphics are about as lifelike as we’re going to get as RT matures and already high end 3000 can run 60+ FPS at 4K in most games, even with ultra settings. Given 8k displays for PC use will always and forever remain out of reach or pointless for the majority, IMO Nvidia and AMD will start to run into major problems in the next 5-10 years in that graphic fidelity will reach an apex where any further upgrades are incremental and hardly visible unless you specifically look for them. At what point is any upgrade pointless?

I like new tech and so upgrading from a 1080ti just for RT AND DLSS was a no brainer. I'll be upgrading again to whatever card gives the best RT performance ~£750/300W. AMD, Intel or Nvidia, I don't care.

I think my 3080 was £720, which works out at just £30 a month. So cheap that even the paperboy has one :D

Soldato
Specs leak from semianalysis:

"The top dog in the Ada architecture is AD102 at 611.3mm2. It’s a huge jump with over the previous generation GA102, with 70% more CUDA cores coming from 5 additional GPCs. The memory bus width remains the same at 384-bit, however memory speeds improve slightly to 21Gbps. Despite the increase, this will not be enough to feed the beast. AD102 has 96MB of L2 Cache, far above the last generation GA102’s 6MB of L2 Cache. There is a new memory controller, PCIe5 and DisplayPort 2 and updated NVENC encoder with AV1 support. NvLink has been completely removed."

Soldato
Haha. I don’t go out of my way to do it though. He seems to love putting people down on lower end cards all the time and feels he is somehow something special for having a 3090 in his sig :cry:

All the gear, no idea :D

Having the top end card at the time (3090) didn’t bring me any particular happiness and I sold it after about 6 months. For the money it’s not worth it at all. 80 series is probably the sweet spot but I’d certainly get a 70 series.

Luckily gaming (AAA-wise) is absolutely dire at the moment so no need for the power and to spend the money.

Caporegime
Having the top end card at the time (3090) didn’t bring me any particular happiness and I sold it after about 6 months. For the money it’s not worth it at all. 80 series is probably the sweet spot but I’d certainly get a 70 series.

Luckily gaming (AAA-wise) is absolutely dire at the moment so no need for the power and to spend the money.
It's one of the reasons I've always bought a step or two from the top. Always better value IMO. 1080, 2070 Super and now 3080.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime

Yep, I had a 295x2 and a Titan XP which were quite high up there cards in their day. As you say does not bring any particular happiness, apart from in the moment you get it I suppose. I get a lot more happiness and satisfaction getting value for money and being able to sell the card for as little loss as possible or ideally a profit if I can if the market conditions allow for it.

It's one of the reasons I've always bought a step or two from the top. Always better value IMO. 1080, 2070 Super and now 3080.
+1

From the list posted by the Grim one above the AD102 looks like a beast, but I shall more than likely be getting the 103 or even 104 depending price and performance.

Caporegime
Echo the above.

Amazes me how people spend over double the money just to get an extra 15-20% at the very most (most of the time, the difference is 10%). Really is mind boggling.

Soldato
Amazes me how people spend over double the money just to get an extra 15-20% at the very most (most of the time, the difference is 10%).

In my case the 3090 FE was what was available at the time. It will probably do me to the 5080 in October 2024, in which case it will have served 42 months and therefore cost me £33 per month. Under a tenner a week. Of course, if the 4080 is a huge leap in performance I will be very tempted.

Associate
Echo the above.

Amazes me how people spend over double the money just to get an extra 15-20% at the very most (most of the time, the difference is 10%). Really is mind boggling.

As said previously, the 3080 was the sweet spot. The increase in performance of the cards above the 3080 was nothing like what it should have been for what they cost, so I got a lot of power for 649 quid and far more satisfaction than had I blown stupid money on the higher tier cards. Diminishing returns for anything but diminishing money.

Soldato
Specs leak from semianalysis:

"The top dog in the Ada architecture is AD102 at 611.3mm2. It’s a huge jump with over the previous generation GA102, with 70% more CUDA cores coming from 5 additional GPCs. The memory bus width remains the same at 384-bit, however memory speeds improve slightly to 21Gbps. Despite the increase, this will not be enough to feed the beast. AD102 has 96MB of L2 Cache, far above the last generation GA102’s 6MB of L2 Cache. There is a new memory controller, PCIe5 and DisplayPort 2 and updated NVENC encoder with AV1 support. NvLink has been completely removed."

link to source :- https://semianalysis.substack.com/p/nvidia-ada-lovelace-leaked-specifications?s=r

Associate
So how many 3000 series owners will be considering upgrading? IMO graphics are about as lifelike as we’re going to get as RT matures and already high end 3000 can run 60+ FPS at 4K in most games, even with ultra settings. Given 8k displays for PC use will always and forever remain out of reach or pointless for the majority, IMO Nvidia and AMD will start to run into major problems in the next 5-10 years in that graphic fidelity will reach an apex where any further upgrades are incremental and hardly visible unless you specifically look for them. At what point is any upgrade pointless?

I will be as a 3090 is nowhere near powerful enough to run most modern games with raytracing at 4k120.

The 4000 series cards won't be either, they'll still need DLSS. Roll on cards that can run at native 4k at well over 100fps with raytracing.

I'm still shocked that I can't play Horizon 5 at 4k 120, it doesn't look that demanding. And I struggle to hold 60fps in certain areas of Wonderlands at 4k 100% resolution scale.

Back
Top Bottom