• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA 4000 Series

If DLSS 3 draws one frame and then anticipates the next 3 frames, then you are going to be shooting at nothing. The problem will be even more noticeable playing against people with different connection speeds. It seems to me DLSS 3 will be ok for single player games but not fast paced FPS shooters

If DLSS 3 draws one frame and then anticipates the next 3 frames, then you are going to be shooting at nothing. The problem will be even more noticeable playing against people with different connection speeds. It seems to me DLSS 3 will be ok for single player games but not fast paced FPS shooters
To be fair people disabled DLSS at the MW2 Beta lan effect they had last week.

Just to clarify, this is not a second hand build - everything new? Inc PSU, Case, Mobo etc still came to less than £1679?

Edit: I ask because choosing the lowest price CPU, GPU, worst DDR5 32GB and worst 2TB NVME gets me to £1662.46 not inc case, mobo, PSU etc All from different sites not inc P+P

Hah no, its a proof-of-concept machine (potentially a one off), probably ~£2k in parts all-in, no idea on the actual build and design costs, as it wasn't my project. I just did the build as the guy who was supposed to complete is off sick right now, and as I do lots of 1U/2U/4U builds they asked me if I'd mind, since I had a few hours to spare while I was on-site.
I actually think the motherboard that was being used was probably £800+ and it used the W680 chipset, had four Ethernet ports two were 10GbE, so not something you'd put in a typical gaming system, but it isn't in the BoM as the proper board, so I just assumed a ~£200 for the cost comparison. :D

Last edited:
Bit more info here on the Corsair cable in this post.

Perfect as i have a HXi1200 so will get one of these but hopefully cable mod do a nice sleeved one ( i am sure they will as £££ to be earnt :cry: ) . will match the rest of my cables then and be all compliant :D

Corsair just announced a $20 cable with no adapters required to make the new GPUs compatible with existing Corsair PSUs. The cable is a 16 pin to 2x8 pin single cable that plugs between the GPU and PSU and can support up to 600w

They did one for the 3090 too, I grabbed one as it really cleans up the look in the case.

Corsair just announced a $20 cable with no adapters required to make the new GPUs compatible with existing Corsair PSUs. The cable is a 16 pin to 2x8 pin single cable that plugs between the GPU and PSU and can support up to 600w
Do you know when available to buy? Not seeing listed anywhere in UK

It's basically a conversation a bit late to the party, as everything discussed has been covered countless times both here there and every other youtuber now :p

From what I understand based on manuel comment on reddit.

DLSS 3 will include enhancements to existing DLSS, these enhancements will work on 'all' RTX cards. It is the specific frame insertion feature (that many are sceptical about anyway) that will be exclusive to 4000 series.

4080 and 4090 include a much nicer encoder which is now dual core and natively supports AV1, so seems Nvidia recognised their huge filesize problem with the added AV1 support. Media I think arent talking about this anywhere, only know its updated due to the Nvidia slides. They always just seem obsessed with rasterization performance.

4080 16 gigs version has a nice profit margin on the VRAM, extra $300 for an extra 4 gigs VRAM although they also giving it 4090 cooler spec and some small amount of extra cores.

Personally I consider the 12 gigs version too low longevity on the VRAM, but those who dont care for decent quality textures, shadows etc. and only want their FPS high on shooters, will appreciate the weaker 4080 variant.

I had decided to skip the 4000 series but the new encoder stuff has some interest from me, so I will await to see how the release goes, if I do dip in, it will be another FE of course the 16gigs variant. If the 4070 has a 16 gig version and the better encoder chip, I will consider that as I am happy with current level of rasterization performance, but I expect it will be limited to 12 gigs.

I see Nvidia have gone in on the treat Americans better crowd on pricing.

Last edited:
Any benches? 3090 vs 4090
No prices yet?

is it still 4090 on launch and wait for the 4080 16gb?

lastly after market cards on release day? 12th October, i wonder how the availability will be like, that 30 series lunch was nasty, people had to wait over a year.

Any benches? 3090 vs 4090
No prices yet?

is it still 4090 on launch and wait for the 4080 16gb?

lastly after market cards on release day? 12th October, i wonder how the availability will be like, that 30 series lunch was nasty, people had to wait over a year.

Prices start from just under £1700 and if you want something fancy like ASUS Strix then you are looking around 2K :cry:

Well worth it though. Best hurry as loads here will be buying so stocks won’t last! :p

Last edited:
4080 16 gigs version has a nice profit margin on the VRAM, extra $300 for an extra 4 gigs VRAM although they also giving it 4090 cooler spec and some small amount of extra cores.

Personally I consider the 12 gigs version too low longevity on the VRAM, but those who dont care for decent quality textures, shadows etc. and only want their FPS high on shooters, will appreciate the weaker 4080 variant.
They will appreciate being ripped off by a gimped version of the card

Yeah there's a *lot* more to it than that - https://www.club386.com/nvidia-geforce-rtx-4080-12gb-loses-out-on-more-than-just-memory/

tl;dr - 22% fewer SMs, meaning 22% fewer CUDA cores, tensor cores, RT cores etc, impacting throughput by about a quarter (we obviously won't know how much it affects gaming until it's tested by third parties.)
The 12GB is a different chip (AD104 vs AD103), with a narrower memory bus (192 vs 256). Basically, it's the xx70 card given an xx80 name. Also there's no FE for this one.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom