• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA 4000 Series

Intel thought the same thing for years.

Intel's "innovations" were 5% IPC for a new generation. This is why AMD managed to catch up, plus the fact that Intel had a disastrous 10nm node.

AMD need to be a node ahead of Intel to stand a chance in performance. Even then, we have the 13th gen about to release which will thoroughly dominate AMD in the CPU market again.

13th gen CPU's are cheaper, they can use cheap ddr4, they work in cheap and ubiquitous z690 motherboard and they don't run at 94C with a 360mm AIO.

Nvidia made no such mistake - they've innovated; developing G-Sync, DLSS and have provided huge performance increases each generation. Their drivers are also very mature and compatible with everything out of the box.

My last AMD card, Radeon VII, wouldn't even work with MS Teams (BSOD) - luckily @LtMatt was available to help me submit windows 10 mini dump files, so their driver team could find and fix the issue.

Thing about scalpers is they have to be able to guarantee a shortage in order to be able to buy up and inflate the price. If a scalper scoops up ten 4090s but they never go out of stock, he's screwed. In this price bracket and with so many clues that these GPUs aren't going to be in short supply (5x the stock available on FEs than for 3000-series according to insiders, and that's just for launch day), a scalper would have to be crazy to see 4090s as a good scalping prospect.

Especially considering the fact that this is a behemoth of a card, but it's not an essential upgrade in the same sense as the 30-series could have been argued to be. Which means people are more likely to wait than pay a scalper email premium even if they do go out of stock.

This ain't a PS5. Demand compared to consoles or for £700 3080s etc. is going to be minuscule. I really don't think scalping is going to be an issue, and I don't think 4090s will go out of stock on the first day. The FEs might, because of their price more than anything, but I'm predicting there will never be a time when you can't buy a 4090 of some sort from a retailer. The market is just too small and the stock (reportedly) high. No miners, no scalpers (unless they're thick), no pandemic demand, no shortage.

Last edited:
Intel's "innovations" were 5% IPC for a new generation. This is why AMD managed to catch up, plus the fact that Intel had a disastrous 10nm node.

AMD need to be a node ahead of Intel to stand a chance in performance. Even then, we have the 13th gen about to release which will thoroughly dominate AMD in the CPU market again.

13th gen CPU's are cheaper, they can use cheap ddr4, they work in cheap and ubiquitous z690 motherboard and they don't run at 94C with a 360mm AIO.

Nvidia made no such mistake - they've innovated; developing G-Sync, DLSS and have provided huge performance increases each generation. Their drivers are also very mature and compatible with everything out of the box.

My last AMD card, Radeon VII, wouldn't even work with MS Teams (BSOD) - luckily @LtMatt was available to help me submit windows 10 mini dump files, so their driver team could find and fix the issue.
AMD seems to be implimenting a chiplet approach this generation which could allow them to innovate on the cost/performance front.

Jensen is already making excuses that production costs are just going to keep going up for them while AMD is inovating to work around the increasing wafer costs.

Now, AMD's chiplet approach in CPU's took many generations to iron out and, once they got ahead of Intel, leveraged their position to crank up margins rather than furthe lower costs to consumers.

I'm under no illusion that AMD is our friend. Competition is ultimately how we will benefit and AMD is working on an approach that could at least put them in a position to offer more performance for less money.

I have been very impressed with what AMD has done with RDNA2 on my 6800XT. I have been sitting on an old driver for months while avoiding new drivers that resulted in performance regressions in VR, so they still have work to do on the driver front, but from what I have heard about previous AMD graphics, they are getting better on the driver front.

If AMD can get the chiplet approach to work on graphics cards, they may innovate in a driection that is more consequential to end users than Nvidia's continuation of cramming more transisters into more expensive monolithic dies.

Last edited:
3D Mark announces Speedway, a new next generation DX12 benchmark designed to test and stress next Gen GPUs and CPUs.

Coming 12 October

This one won't be free like Timespy and Firestrike, it costs $5 to get the new benchmark

Normally sponsored content like this (Lenovo in this case) is free but looks like they're going for sales as well as the sponsorship money.. annoying, but I expect there's less money in the review market these days.

Probably Hardware Unboxed's fault. Revenge for the stream of criticism last gen.
Nvidia should have just ghosted him for future releases. Sending an email announcing future plans was lame.

Though I believe the real reason is that Australia is a small and a relatively diffuse market with the kind of landmass they have. Same thing happened during the 30 series launch

Last edited:
Funny seeing Nvidia now making pro card makers push NVLINK while they remove it from Ada cards and still not seen any signs of it on Ada pro cards either. Seems they want Ampere to be the card for multi card workstations this generation only or they will release a Hopper based pro PCIE card.

This was from a few days ago from PNY.

Well, the 95°C thing is a design choice and mostly irrelevant.

For the bolded however: 13th might dominate in gaming (although Zen4 3D when it comes might take the gaming crown back), but in servers Intel are so far behind that they can barely compete with Zen2 never mind Zen3 and Zen4 and that's because servers chips are run far closer the node's performance sweetpoint plus Intel's P cores are a massive brute-force approach.

And cheaper and DDR4 are purely an Intel choice at the cost of their margins. Great for us consumers, less so for their shareholders. I do feel AMD should go for volume but while wafers are scarce I can see why they concentrate on the most profitable parts.

Back
Top Bottom