• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA 4000 Series

Associate
You work for the AIBS ? and know this for a fact ? Or because it's grey TIM you think it's all the same ? As has been proven by that video it is not normal TIM and a PCM TIM on the 4090FE. Even I didn't know that until he said what it was and knew PTM7000 as we have the stuff at work for our servers. Otherwise I would not had an idea what they used and thought it was normal stock grey TIM. Even Steve at GN didn't know and thought it was normal TIM.
That's quite easy to prove.
See Techpowerup photos of 4090 Strix - PCM does not have viscosity like that, this is clearly normal tim:
heatpipes.jpg

Another good picture of Colorful, this is 100% not PCM:
cooler3.jpg

Compare it to FE photos that's using PCM, it's more solid state and dry:
cooler2.jpg

I went through all the teardowns and only FE is using PCM - on the fence with MSI - rest is definitely just a strandard TIM. By STRIX being the coolest card out of the bunch - you can assume PCM is not needed.
And no, I am not assumming grey = tim. There are other differentiative characteristics than color.

With such a large die as GPU there is little benefit of PCM vs good TIM. The gains in laptops are more pronounced, because the dies are much smaller

Last edited:
Soldato

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090 PCI-Express Scaling

So at 4k there are no noticeable gains. Great to see as I don't fancy upgrading my 10900k anytime soon.

Soldato

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090 PCI-Express Scaling

ah that's really good to see, I'm on pcie 3.0 due to a riser cable in SFF case. Running near 4k so it won't be holding back much performance

Associate
Got my zotac installed last night, really impressed with noise and temp and that’s with out of the box settings.

No complaints so far, going to try undervolting for additional efficiency.

Back
Top Bottom