• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA 4000 Series

Soldato
As you need a PSU I'd try and get one that is ATX 3.0. Not many left in stock but may aswell get the new dedicated gfx card connector going fwd as these PSU's are built to handle higher transient spikes from gfx cards going fwd.

This is a handy page OCUK have for ATX 3.0. Otherwise the window on your case is gonna look like a snakes wedding with 4 connectors off older PSU's into the one of the gfx card.

I'm not getting a window mate. Going for full enclosed as I have a home cinema. Need zero light :D

HRL

HRL

Soldato
Make sure you have UK set in your profile on your Nvidia account. When I logged in mine had no country set, and after setting the country earlier in the week got the email today.

Think it’s luck of the draw still as I’ve not got an invite and have a 3090FE as well as all the correct GFE profile settings.

I only reinstalled it to see if I got an invite, but alas nope.

Soldato

Seems this is still a thing with some retailers, people buying a card,removing it, putting weights in the box and sending it back for them to flog it on.

Used to be just amazon, now seems to be affecting others.

And also people getting the card in the box and going on social media to kick up a fuss that they received a brick or some weights to the retailer hoping they get another one for free because the retailer is worried about looking bad.

These scams are getting more and more stupid really and most posting this stuff are the scammers. Also if you buy from ebay or some other place auctioning cards or selling less than msrp or over, there is a good chance you will get a brick, it happened a lot with ps5's and other in demand tech. Buy from a scalper (you know these sweet honest people) then expect to get taken for a ride.

Last edited:
Caporegime
IMO it's best not to argue with this group of people. Gibbo, 8pack, and many reviews out there for 4090, mention over and over that 4090 needs to be paired with latest CPU's for it to make sense.

You'll get those running on 8th, 9th or 10th gen CPU's claiming performance is amazing, just leave them be, as we know for a fact they're not getting anywhere near a 4090's full performance (especially in terms of minimum FPS values that many don't track).

Its 2-3 fps!!! Yes you are losing up to 5% of the performance. So what? Worth spending another £1000-£1500 to upgrade the mobo and cpu? Who cares.

Caporegime
And also people getting the card in the box and going on social media to kick up a fuss that they received a brick or some weights to the retailer hoping they get another one for free because the retailer is worried about looking bad.

These scams are getting more and more stupid really and most posting this stuff are the scammers.

It actually happened to me with amazon, ordered a 980ti strix and got an old 275 like that in the box. As soon as i took deliivery of the box i realised it felt lighter than i was expecting as the 980ti strix had a really big heatsink on it. They accepted it back and refunded it, but it was sold as a "New" card when that clearly wasn't the case as it was a return.

V5ART8s.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato

Seems this is still a thing with some retailers, people buying a card,removing it, putting weights in the box and sending it back for them to flog it on.

Used to be just amazon, now seems to be affecting others.

Also that retailer is like amazon too and has a market place so the person complaining probably purchased it from the market place not the retailer direct, I never had a problem with them and ordered stuff we can't get in UK from them direct from them not their market place. So the buyers need to step with care and the person in that reddit post has not stated how he purchased it there and I bet was not direct from the retailer and the market place scammers there.

Last edited:
Soldato
It actually happened to me with amazon, ordered a 980ti strix and got an old 275 like that in the box. As soon as i took deliivery of the box i realised it felt lighter than i was expecting as the 980ti strix had a really big heatsink on it. They accepted it back and refunded it, but it was sold as a "New" card when that clearly wasn't the case as it was a return.

fliNpUx.jpg

Yes that's amazon as they are useless at checking returns and they go back as warehouse sales, but they can easily get the original buyer and close their account and chase them up legally as they do. But you also have to prove you didn't try to scam them too pretending you got something else. I know it happens, happened to me with HDD got a totally different one unopened and they managed to track down the person that did it and refunded me and picked up the HDD that wasn't what it should be. You have to prove it to them thankfully the person that did that purchased both drives returned the cheap one in the expensive ones box and kept the expensive one .. That's why they knew it wasn't me making it up.

Associate
...another day of sitting on the Nvidia website and pressing F5...
Make sure you have UK set in your profile on your Nvidia account. When I logged in mine had no country set, and after setting the country earlier in the week got the email today.

Argh. I just checked my account and I'd given them everything apart from my country of residence. I've been checking my emails 50 times a day for that damn invite. Damn you to hell, Wintermute2.

Man of Honour
Just to chime in on the bottlenecking thing, for a short while I ran a RTX3090 on a 2700X and I was genuinely surprised how much it was bottlenecked at 1440p. I know you can't directly infer from that as we're talking faster GPU, higher res at 4k but it opened my mind a bit.

The key thing I learned was be very careful about how you look for bottlenecks, by default software to track cpu utilisation like Afterburner isn't checking frequently enough, you need to make it update several times a second to start seeing where you have individual cores getting maxed out. You might have overall CPU utilisation looking healthy at <50% but the reality is various cores keep hitting their limit and bouncing to other cores multiple times per second, so if you are only updating stats say once a second it's easy to miss because over a second the average utilisation will be under 100%.

Back
Top Bottom