• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA 4000 Series

Soldato
Its similar to the folk that say "if you can afford a £1000 GPU then you don't care about power consumption" or to the effect that it implies all these people can afford high energy bills because the value of a component.

Somebody that is in the situation to be able to buy a £1000 GPU is not likely to be struggling to pay the power bills ect though are they.

Soldato
I think we had this on another thread but yes the discussion was its not just a GPU purchase in some situations but also them periphery costs which goes unaccounted for.

Of course. You can go on spending perhaps another 50%-100% on other stuff than the GPU. I wouldn't mind if the 4090ti would be $599, but those times seem to be gone...

Thanks for the replies I know I need to retire this PSU at some point as as I'm already limited on current hardware as this PSU has no dual 8pin only a 8 and a 6 for the GPU/CPU but its not like I'm trying to stick high end parts in it I'm being cautious with it but its obviously showing its age.

My finances are fine and I could makes jokes about smashing a 3090 with a hammer but I've been a budget gaming for so long I'm stuck in this weird mindset atm I think its called being a cheepskate when it comes to my own PC. :D

Well this is the guy stilll running the last version of a Western Digital Raptor (remember those :cry: ) as a OS drive today, my case will proberly have to be changed also to accomodate a new psu and the bottom psu intake wont line up with a psu larger than mine as this one is tiny compared to modern ones and I'm not sure if one can fit a psu in mine upside down so the costs start to add up.

If something like a AMD 7600/XT is anything like a 6600 ( I may just pick up one of these but im ok to wait) which uses about 130w max which is crazy for the performance I could go with that.

I have an Enermax 525W power supply which is also pretty old, but it handled a R290 overclocked plus other stuff. If is a good power supply and you don't put a 200W CPU as well, a good ~ 550 PSU should be enough for a 250w GPU.

Its similar to the folk that say "if you can afford a £1000 GPU then you don't care about power consumption" or to the effect that it implies all these people can afford high energy bills because the value of a component.

If you can afford an expensive car, surely you can afford the fuel, taxes, maintenance? :D

That makes sense if you are within the system requirements, which is what I meant.

An expensive GPU's requires more than a 500W PSU. Like an 3070, Nvidia recommends an 650W PSU.
It doesn't, a GOOD power supply will handle a 250-270w graphics card just fine - as long as you don't run it with a top of the line, overclocked CPU.

Reactions: G J
Soldato
You miscalculated, nvidia did that to corner and monopolise the higher margin mining sector for themselves.

Had nothing to do with getting more cards to single card buying end users.
Except the FE card prices didnt go up to mining prices, the margins stayed the same.

3080 FE sold for £650 whilst 3080 AIB sold for £1000 plus. How many mining racks from mining factories did you see with Founder Edition cards?

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
power consumption is going to be the least of peoples worries when cases don't have side fans anymore you can aim at the GPU. and vertical mounting these cards probably ain't happening with how massive the heatsinks will be

I dont know, I have not bought a case for a decade - my Corsair Carbide Air is doing a grand job as it was a long term investment. Are the latest fad of cases completely devoid of good airflow design I take it?

As others have pointed out too, the room temp will get uncomfortable unless you open a window and plan to play games in your underpants! :cry:

Soldato
Somebody that is in the situation to be able to buy a £1000 GPU is not likely to be struggling to pay the power bills ect though are they.

You could be a student with static costs (sometimes free electric) that saved up/worked to afford it; or a person that lives with their parents so normal outgoings may not apply (house/rent), plenty of outliers that would break that assumption. Some people use stronger machines as they may do heavy workloads, graphics design, rendering - just because you have an expensive component doesn't mean your impervious to other factors.

Depends on what your hobby is for example, I know people that do fishing, cycling, golf and the obscene amount they pay on stuff or memberships would make your eyes water. In comparison a thousand pound graphics card in this context is a fraction of what other people spend on items. A PS5 is what £500 in one hit? Unfortunately it needs electricity to work, so when your supplier increases cost fourfold then it suddenly makes an impact with regular use.

Soldato
Its similar to the folk that say "if you can afford a £1000 GPU then you don't care about power consumption"

Have you done the maths? Compared to the cost of a GPU the cost of the electricity to run it is indeed trivial by comparison - pennies per hour. Unless you're gaming all day every day then the electricity costs are indeed small. I'm on 26.57p per kw/h. I have a system that uses 600W. That's 15.4 pence per hour. I can game all evening for a pound. Let's say I game all evening 5 days a week - I don't - so £1 / day. That's £200 a year. My actual gaming usage is far less, perhaps 2 - 3 evenings a week for 3 - 4 hours at a time, so I'm spending maybe £50 per year on gaming electricity. PC (and console) gaming is very cheap entertainment once you're over the initial purchase cost. Looking at it another way, the amount I pay for electricity covers 6 weeks of my internet link.

Soldato
Have you done the maths? Compared to the cost of a GPU the cost of the electricity to run it is indeed trivial by comparison - pennies per hour. Unless you're gaming all day every day then the electricity costs are indeed small. I'm on 26.57p per kw/h. I have a system that uses 600W. That's 15.4 pence per hour. I can game all evening for a pound. Let's say I game all evening 5 days a week - I don't - so £1 / day. That's £200 a year. My actual gaming usage is far less, perhaps 2 - 3 evenings a week for 3 - 4 hours at a time, so I'm spending maybe £50 per year on gaming electricity. PC (and console) gaming is very cheap entertainment once you're over the initial purchase cost. Looking at it another way, the amount I pay for electricity covers 6 weeks of my internet link.
During summer you may need to add the cost of running air conditioning - and the cost of buying that. :D

Soldato
He didn't read the post above his where I mentioned gaming is relatively cheap in comparison to other hobbies: :rolleyes:

Depends on what your hobby is...In comparison a thousand pound graphics card in this context is a fraction of what other people spend on items.

Electric was even cheaper before, seems to forget prices have tripled and the trend looks like up another 50% before we know the state of it. :cry:

Soldato
I find that there are these things called windows and that it is very simple to open them.
When it's 30*C + outside and high humidity... good luck! Especially if you're living in a town where all you have around is concrete and asphalt :)
On the other side, gaming intensively during Winter can help balance things out :cry:

Soldato
You could be a student with static costs (sometimes free electric) that saved up/worked to afford it; or a person that lives with their parents so normal outgoings may not apply (house/rent), plenty of outliers that would break that assumption. Some people use stronger machines as they may do heavy workloads, graphics design, rendering - just because you have an expensive component doesn't mean your impervious to other factors.

Depends on what your hobby is for example, I know people that do fishing, cycling, golf and the obscene amount they pay on stuff or memberships would make your eyes water. In comparison a thousand pound graphics card in this context is a fraction of what other people spend on items. A PS5 is what £500 in one hit? Unfortunately it needs electricity to work, so when your supplier increases cost fourfold then it suddenly makes an impact with regular use.

There's also stuff which lasts longer than a GPU.
Photography may be expensive, but glass doesn't lose performance over time and neither does a decent body. Investing 2-3k into photo gear, for instance, can last you for 8-10 years or even much more than that. Buying a new hardware (graphics card is just one thing), lasts you what... 2-3 years +/- if you want 4k and other high end res?
A decent bicycle is also relatively cheap. :)

Ah, yes, don't forget the cost of games.

Caporegime
It's only a couple of days a year. Or a couple of days a decade here in Aberdeen. That day it was supposed to get super-hot it was overcast here and we had rain.
it was a one off anyway.... people act like we never had 2 days of heat in the past decades. oh now it's suddenly a normal thing

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
600W will be a hot beast to keep cool. Hopefully that is wrong and it is max of 450/500 but I wouldn't be surprised if it is 600+

Price will be the big defacto for me but I am not fussed if I do or don't bite in truth and happy to go for a 3090 from the auction site if I feel the need

No way, the Gregster I knew would not go without having the latest shiny. At the very least get a 4080 which would easily beat even a 3090 Ti and be latest shiny tech. 3090 is old news now and lost its shine. Especially with all the mining a auction card you would be picking up would have done, would be covered in soot :cry:

Back
Top Bottom