• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA 4000 Series

Caporegime
anyways I think this hype train is going to derail so fast with this next gen cards and will end up looked at like the 20 series.
People literally say this like clockwork in the run up to every generational release but only the Nvidia 2000 series has been a dud (in terms of performance) so far and if the 4000 series really represents a 2x performance increase over the 3000 series then it's going to sell like hot cakes.

Soldato
I don't get it? If you are not going to bother upgrading your PSU, then why even consider buying a new expensive GPU.

What I don't get is why people complain when they self sanction themselves. If someone wants to stick with a 500w PSU and only buy parts that fit in the 500w power budget then go right ahead but don't complain about it

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
People literally say this like clockwork in the run up to every generational release but only the Nvidia 2000 series has been a dud (in terms of performance) so far and if the 4000 series really represents a 2x performance increase over the 3000 series then it's going to sell like hot cakes.

4090 for you sir?

Soldato
I may be forced to stay off this gen with the rumoured high power consumption and not accounting for the power spikes may shorten the life of my old 12+ year old 500w Seasonic PSU as it seems even the 4050/4060 may be 250w.

For those who think my PSU is old and I should upgrade, NEVER! :mad: (Will def buy another Seasonic tho)

Upgrade the PSU, change the case, fans, install an AC if you don't have one. Just to upgrade the GPU. And maybe the CPU. :D

Associate
One thing I'm looking forward to seeing is the cooling solution for a potentially 600-800W card. Going by this image from the MSI 3090 store page the card needs at least three slots to dissipate the heat it produces, plus three PCI-E power connectors, and that's for a 350W profile. What in jolly funk are they going to need to get rid of double that?!

G J

G J

Associate
Thanks for the replies I know I need to retire this PSU at some point as as I'm already limited on current hardware as this PSU has no dual 8pin only a 8 and a 6 for the GPU/CPU but its not like I'm trying to stick high end parts in it I'm being cautious with it but its obviously showing its age.

My finances are fine and I could makes jokes about smashing a 3090 with a hammer but I've been a budget gaming for so long I'm stuck in this weird mindset atm I think its called being a cheepskate when it comes to my own PC. :D

Upgrade the PSU, change the case, fans, install an AC if you don't have one. Just to upgrade the GPU. And maybe the CPU. :D
Well this is the guy stilll running the last version of a Western Digital Raptor (remember those :cry: ) as a OS drive today, my case will proberly have to be changed also to accomodate a new psu and the bottom psu intake wont line up with a psu larger than mine as this one is tiny compared to modern ones and I'm not sure if one can fit a psu in mine upside down so the costs start to add up.

If something like a AMD 7600/XT is anything like a 6600 ( I may just pick up one of these but im ok to wait) which uses about 130w max which is crazy for the performance I could go with that.

Associate
One thing I'm looking forward to seeing is the cooling solution for a potentially 600-800W card. Going by this image from the MSI 3090 store page the card needs at least three slots to dissipate the heat it produces, plus three PCI-E power connectors, and that's for a 350W profile. What in jolly funk are they going to need to get rid of double that?!
Well, servers tend to do something like this:
TbEBSUz.png
I think the server case then has a bunch of screaming fans blowing some crazy volumes of air (1000m³/h or more?). Servers don't care about noise though.

For consumers? I guess large monster fans, like 200mm or so; either air cooled or to cool a radiator.

Wonder what the optimal layout for air cooled would be? 2x200mm front intake, 2x200mm top exhaust, and maybe 200mm intake in the side panel?

It seems PSU, case, and cooling fan manufacturers can all rejoice!

Caporegime
600W will be a hot beast to keep cool. Hopefully that is wrong and it is max of 450/500 but I wouldn't be surprised if it is 600+

Price will be the big defacto for me but I am not fussed if I do or don't bite in truth and happy to go for a 3090 from the auction site if I feel the need

Soldato
600W will be a hot beast to keep cool. Hopefully that is wrong and it is max of 450/500 but I wouldn't be surprised if it is 600+

Price will be the big defacto for me but I am not fussed if I do or don't bite in truth and happy to go for a 3090 from the auction site if I feel the need
Keeping the *card* cool is only part of the problem.

If the card's cooling solution is successful in pulling all that heat off of the card, that just moves the problem into the room....where I would like to play my games in relative comfort.

Add in the heat generated by the rest of the PC, and you are running a space heater in your gaming room. I live in Florida, and are not many days in the year where I want to run a space heater in my gaming room.

We are getting to the point where keeping *ourselves* cool is a concern.

Caporegime
I don't get it? If you are not going to bother upgrading your PSU, then why even consider buying a new expensive GPU.

That's like saying "if you're not going to upgrade your Motherboard why consider buying a more expensive CPU"

People do that all the time, because they might not otherwise be able to afford it, my PSU, EVGA 650 GS, is 7 years old, its serviced 3 GPU's, if I've had to upgrade it at any point i might not have been able to afford the GPU.

Soldato
That's like saying "if you're not going to upgrade your Motherboard why consider buying a more expensive CPU"

People do that all the time, because they might not otherwise be able to afford it, my PSU, EVGA 650 GS, is 7 years old, its serviced 3 GPU's, if I've had to upgrade it at any point i might not have been able to afford the GPU.

That makes sense if you are within the system requirements, which is what I meant.

An expensive GPU's requires more than a 500W PSU. Like an 3070, Nvidia recommends an 650W PSU.

Caporegime
That makes sense if you are within the system requirements, which is what I meant.

An expensive GPU's requires more than a 500W PSU. Like an 3070, Nvidia recommends an 650W PSU.

Yeah, power consumption is around 220 watts, that's the same as my 2070 Super, and that's fine, great, if i wanted one, and i do, i don't have to get a new PSU.

The problem is, for example, most people who buy ##70 class cards tend to stick with ##70 class cards, my last 3 GPU's have been GTX 970, GTX 1070, RTX 2070 Super, they have all been around 200 watts.
The 4000 series GPU's look like they might move up a level in power, the RTX 4070 looks like it might be 300 Watts, perhaps even more, at 300 watts i think my PSU can handle that, its a good high end PSU, but it can't handle much more than that, so i might be forced to upgrade the PSU, its probably about time now to at least replace it, at 7 years old, but if the PSU was only 2 years old, i shouldn't have to.

That i think is what's getting some people a bit wound up.

Caporegime
Its similar to the folk that say "if you can afford a £1000 GPU then you don't care about power consumption" or to the effect that it implies all these people can afford high energy bills because the value of a component.
power consumption is going to be the least of peoples worries when cases don't have side fans anymore you can aim at the GPU. and vertical mounting these cards probably ain't happening with how massive the heatsinks will be

Back
Top Bottom