• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA 4000 Series

Last edited:
Nvidia is now shipping new stepping GPUs to board partners, supposedly the changes allow the board partners to use fewer components on the PCB so they can reduce prices, the GPU die itself is also cheaper

Doubt we'll see the price reductions but fingers crossed, a 4090 for £1300/1400 could be a worthwhile investment this time round unlike the 3090.

EDIT:

Looks like it doesn't apply to the 4090

Either way, it looks like we'll one day be seeing the RTX 4070's AD104-250 chip switched to an AD104-251 version, with the RTX 4080's AD103-300 also getting an AD103-301 variant.

If 4080 gets a price drop to point it is matching/cheaper than a 7900xtx, amd will have to drop their prices to undercut the 4080 again.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: TNA
No that's a good way to go about it though I am a sucker for wanting max FPS in ultra settings and I am one of the rare fans of RT.

Then an upgrade may be worth it. It's all about what that extra 25% fps is worth to you.

You will get ~£450 for your 3080, answering your price check thread.

Last edited:
I see also apart of the alienware QD-oled master race too :cool:

4090 is made for 3440x1440 175HZ ;) But 4070ti could be worthwhile in that case tbf with dlss 3/FG, great thing about the 3080s is they have held their value well so you aren't losing out on too much money:

NPuQI0s.png

c1rJ1KU.png

I3IBhrk.png

Yu3nyCQ.png

I see also apart of the alienware QD-oled master race too :cool:

4090 is made for 3440x1440 175HZ ;) But 4070ti could be worthwhile in that case tbf with dlss 3/FG, great thing about the 3080s is they have held their value well so you aren't losing out on too much money:

I dunnnnnnno man. I feel at that res a 4080 would be good too, maybe even lower. Heck even a 3080 as you said.

It's the DLSS3 FG thing that is tempting to be fair
Latency may or may not be an issue with frame generatiaon, would need to try it to see how it felt. I was wondering about the speed of uptake of this - @Nexus18 , I know you've mentioned a few times about nVidia's streamline for letting developers introduce DLSS in a bid to increase uptake, do you know if this includes frame generation?

I dunnnnnnno man. I feel at that res a 4080 would be good too, maybe even lower. Heck even a 3080 as you said.

Depends if you want to get close to a locked 150+ fps, 4090 only one that would do this especially in more demanding titles.

Latency may or may not be an issue with frame generatiaon, would need to try it to see how it felt. I was wondering about the speed of uptake of this - @Nexus18 , I know you've mentioned a few times about nVidia's streamline for letting developers introduce DLSS in a bid to increase uptake, do you know if this includes frame generation?

I believe it does now, iirc was mentioned in a Nvidia article or by DF/Alex.

It appears to also use a similar file structure system to dlss i.e. you can now drop in new versions of frame generation like you can do with dlss.

This is why we're also seeing reflex in games a lot more often too as it is also incorporated with streamline as well.

How does the 4070ti compare to the 3080(10gb) in 3440x1440

I was trying to figure out between the 4070ti and the 7900xt but unsure as to what is best... I know prices are crap but DLSS 3 is swaying me towards the Ti.
If you already have a 3080 the 4070ti is completely pointless, id call it more of a sidegrade than an upgrade.

Depends if you want to get close to a locked 150+ fps, 4090 only one that would do this especially in more demanding titles.

I believe it does now, iirc was mentioned in a Nvidia article or by DF/Alex.

It appears to also use a similar file structure system to dlss i.e. you can now drop in new versions of frame generation like you can do with dlss.

This is why we're also seeing reflex in games a lot more often too as it is also incorporated with streamline as well.

TBH I'm happy with anything over 60, I just got the 4090 because I'm a ******* idiot.

TBH I'm happy with anything over 60, I just got the 4090 because I'm a ******* idiot.
Yeah, I don't want to fall into that trap. Anything over 70-80 tends to look pretty good on this monitor.

This card cost 649 quid and I sold my 2080 for 490 quid...I'm pretty reluctant to part with this current kind of money for these cards.

Surprised about how easy to resist it actually is this time around ;)

Doubt we'll see the price reductions but fingers crossed, a 4090 for £1300/1400 could be a worthwhile investment this time round unlike the 3090.

EDIT:

Looks like it doesn't apply to the 4090

If 4080 gets a price drop to point it is matching/cheaper than a 7900xtx, amd will have to drop their prices to undercut the 4080 again.

Makes sense, 4090 won't have much trouble moving units given it's top dog status. But AIBs will be complaining to Nvidia that it's hard to sell the 4080 and 4070ti and this is one of the way they looking at getting the price down by Nvidia cutting the chip price and AIBs making cheaper PCBs.

I can also see MSI is getting out the rtx3090 cooler to now use, it's smaller and cheaper than the rtx4090 cooler they designed.

This is a whole industry problem, on the CPU side AMD is now having to launch an A620 chipset early to try and get motherboard cost down so people will buy AM5 CPUs

https://wccftech.com/amd-a620-mothe...ady-to-option-cheaper-am5-options-next-month/

Last edited:
One of them walks like they ride a bike with a seatpost but no seat -due to an MSRP 3090
One cant walk at all due to 2 x 3090 MSRP
Both still have them.
One of them never owned one.
Another had one, then had to get a 3090 after paying MSRP for FC6, and due to a 'fix' for FC2 textures on release.

A 3080 in 99% of games, is 85-95% (keep everyone happy) of a 3090 - STILL.
Never buy a AAA game on release.

Last edited:
Yeah, I don't want to fall into that trap. Anything over 70-80 tends to look pretty good on this monitor.

This card cost 649 quid and I sold my 2080 for 490 quid...I'm pretty reluctant to part with this current kind of money for these cards.

Surprised about how easy to resist it actually is this time around ;)

I was starting from nothing though and I am trying to limit the next time I need to change parts, I say this as someone about to buy a new AMD 3D cpu but tbf that was always my plan, I just built the PC in Nov as it suited me.

How does 1 X 16 pin work? Do these cards come with adapters? I assume it's 2 or 3 8 pin into the 1 X 16?

Yeah the 16 (12VHPWR) into the GPU, off that is an adapter with 3 or 4 PCI-E x8 male connections. It is really unwieldy so many opt to get a nice braided cable from cablemods.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom