• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA 4000 Series

Associate
I'd guess that cost of the chip itself reative to the rest of the board is pretty high.
That seems to be the consensus - and, to be fair, I don't think people were too upset about the price of the 4090 - I think most people expected it to cost more than the 3090 - the issue is of course, the disparity between the 3080 and the 4080 - this is a card a lot of people were hoping to upgrade to and fact that it's so cut down (compared with 3080->3090) and the very real sticker shock has soured a lot of people on the 40-series (plus, there was the 12GB debacle which resulted in an unprecedented climb-down by nvidia).

BTW, here's the board layout for the 3090 Ti:
front.jpg

And the 4090:
front.jpg

Last edited:
Caporegime
Thought for the day - do consoles do ray tracing?
Surely devs aren't really going to want to concentrate lots of effort on RT specifically for the PC version of a title.

Yes they do, but it's generally quite basic compared to what PC can push out (in terms of resolution)

Ratchet and Clank and Spider-Man on PS5 are two games that have ray traced reflections.

Last edited:

TNA

TNA

Caporegime

Q3'23 results just out...to all the folk complaining about pricing, look at the gross margin....65.2% this time last year....53.6% this quarter. There's more to it than just Ada pricing, but the idea that NVDA is price gouging is just not correct.

Haters gon hate, I guess.

EDIT - again, why I am sat here at nearly 10pm posting this is beyond me...but if anyone is interested in understanding if Nvidia are squeezing customers....

Gross margin
- 2021 = 65.6%
- 2022 = 64.9%
- 2023 = 60.6% (expected)

Data centre as % of sales
- 2021 = 40.2%
- 2022 = 39.4%
- 2023 = 56.3% (expected)

(Nvidia has a January 31 year end, hence FY'23 is Jan 22 to Jan 23)

...datacentre chips are way higher margin, and datacentre as a percentage of sales is growing. If anything, gamers are piggybacking off datacentre volumes and getting cheaper GPUs than they should be.

I'm as sorry as anyone that a 4090/80 costs as much as a used car, but it's not Nvidia's fault!

Not Nvidia’s fault?

E3-A099-C1-BA03-4-FC1-8488-EF300409-EBA7.gif

Associate
Managed to bag a Palit 4090 for the eldest for Crimbo - 100 over FE retail which I thought was ok. Hopefully he doesn’t need a firefighting course to go with it and given im
Getting a 3080 TUF in return, that’ll do for me just needs to upgrade the rest to go with it now….

Last edited:
Soldato
I am surprised that I can buy a 4080 at MSRP this far into launch day. (Just added one to my cart and removed it before CC info page)
Worrying times for nvidia when their brand new GPU line up doesn't sell out on release day.

It looks like they're going to need some more warehouse space.

Associate
If they sold their GPUs at a reasonable price they would sell more and make more profit.

They are pricing the 4000 class GPUs like we are in a mining boom.

Its their fault.
It's not profit in absolute terms which matters. It's the margins. They will sell more at a lower price at the expense of margins which isnt what they want. If the halo product moves in low volumes it's still fine as long as the ASP is high enough to push margins above. EBITDA margins are what you should be looking at and not gross margins. You also need to account for inflation in employee costs, admin expenses etc.

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm not bloody surprised, have you seen the prices!? The 'top' models (Aorus extreme, Master, ROG Strix) are all more expensive than the 4090 launch price!
Yeah, good luck with that.

Can confirm, top end 4080 cards are more expensive than entry level 4090 cards. The worst offender is the Asus Strix 4080 it's $150 more expensive than the cheapest 4090

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom