• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA 4000 Series

ljt

ljt

Soldato
Nothing wrong with interest free credit.
If you got the money to pay in full you can still get in on credit and put the money into saving account which will earn you some interest while you pay off the card.

But there is a difference between seeing the whole amount go out at once, and smaller chunks being taken months apart. It's easier to mentally justify when only a small amount goes out initially. When the whole amount will go out in one go, it makes me question every purchase as to its real worth. It gives a different perspective.

To me none of these new GPU's are worth what they are asking for them, so it's an easy decision. It also helps I've taken up a new hobby (that's infinitely cheaper than PC's) so my interest in upgrading is all but none existent now.

Soldato
Get the feeling Nvidia are edging us towards making buying gpus unaffordable for the vast majority to push people towards their Cloud gaming services. This will hook people into a subscription business model and also plugs the gap of not earning anything from second hand gpus.
id rather play Tetris on a gameboy..

Soldato
I guess at £800 is still substantially cheaper than the 4080 at £1200 so maybe not the worst option out there for a card which is faster than a 3080.

Still horrific pricing for a GPU though. Especially for a middle of the product stack xx70 series variant.

id rather play Tetris on a gameboy..

I could probably stretch to something a bit better than that but the way GPU prices are going I’ll be a console peasant for the foreseeable future!

Last edited:
Associate
Get the feeling Nvidia are edging us towards making buying gpus unaffordable for the vast majority to push people towards their Cloud gaming services. This will hook people into a subscription business model and also plugs the gap of not earning anything from second hand gpus.
No, because then they would be ceding the non-cloud market to AMD. And nvidia will never cede that market to AMD.

Associate
Hmmm, so Asus and Noctua announced the Noctua 4080 16GB at CES... Now I'm torn over what to get. I've just recently (miraculously :p) managed to budget in £1300 for a Sapphire Nitro+ 7900 24GB XTX.

But the issue becomes:
16GB vs 24GB
Deep Learning NVidia over AMD (Although with enough VRAM, this is another issue; AMD stuff isn't as supported at this time)
Better RTX vs Viable RTX
23db vs 32-35db noise (Possibly the biggest thing, supposedly they managed to get it down to same noise levels as the 3070 and 3080 Noctua edition)

Gah! Why can't you just make a perfect card already?! :p

Continues to mull over card to get...

Soldato
Hmmm, so Asus and Noctua announced the Noctua 4080 16GB at CES... Now I'm torn over what to get. I've just recently (miraculously :p) managed to budget in £1300 for a Sapphire Nitro+ 7900 24GB XTX.

But the issue becomes:
16GB vs 24GB
Deep Learning NVidia over AMD (Although with enough VRAM, this is another issue; AMD stuff isn't as supported at this time)
Better RTX vs Viable RTX
23db vs 32-35db noise (Possibly the biggest thing, supposedly they managed to get it down to same noise levels as the 3070 and 3080 Noctua edition)

Gah! Why can't you just make a perfect card already?! :p

Continues to mull over card to get...
If you’re willing to spend £1300 on a card, it makes sense to spend the extra £299 and get yourself an FE4090.

Last edited:
Associate
No, because then they would be ceding the non-cloud market to AMD. And nvidia will never cede that market to AMD.
If the market changes enough to cloud gaming then the perspective changes. It won't be who is top of the gpu charts (sadly likely still Nvidia), it'll be who has the gpu grunt in the rack for their service and dgpu numbers will become moot. Besides do you seriously think AMD's 10% dgpu market share will suddenly hit big numbers if Nvidia shift focus? Nvidia shareholders won't care either way providing the gaming subscription service and revenue continues to grow.

Soldato
I'm leaning towards people going to consoles or stay on lower resolutions. 1080p is decent enough.

Associate
If you’re willing to spend £1300 on a card, it makes sense to spend the extra £299 and get yourself an FE4090.
Unfortunately the PSU is definitely not rated for the 4090 power requirements. It can only just about fit in either a 4080 or the 7900 xtx and thats in a pinch. So that will be a rewire and extra cost to PSU, which I'd rather not do at this time. Want some better PSUs to decide on first. :)

Then of course, it's the noise level. The FE is good, but not the Asus Noctua edition cards good in terms of noise level at full load. same for the Sapphire Nitro 7900 xtx. Hence the difficulty deciding here now that info is out on both the quietest models available from the most powerful GPUs I could fit into my system. As there's stuff I would like from both obviously.:D

Soldato
I'm leaning towards people going to consoles or stay on lower resolutions. 1080p is decent enough.

Consoles or for pc gaming 1440p a 3060ti class card and gaming will be great. 1080p I think is for laptop gaming now as even a 17" screen is a nice size for 1080p, they are coming back now this gen with 18" laptops and I see 1200p/1440p be the better resolution then for that size.

Associate
Havent gamed in a long time. If prices stay high will just carry on watching YouTube vids of other people playing games. Loosing interest in games now, its all about binging netflix and prime shows.
I love gaming, so I've dug out the PS4Pro.

In December, I played GoW:Ragnarok. Brilliant, brilliant game. Not available on PC - even if you've spent £2k on a 4090.

I'm now 57 hours into Horizon: Forbidden West. Absolutely stunning game. Will probably stick 80+ hours into it. Not available on PC - even if you've spent £2k on a 4090.

The now very cheap PS4Pro and the brilliant games you can get for it (or PS5, if you want to spend more) make a mockery of recent graphics card launches. This little console let's me just sit back and laugh at PC gaming right now: high prices and rubbish games.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
I'm now 57 hours into Horizon: Forbidden West. Absolutely stunning game. Will probably stick 80+ hours into it. Not available on PC - even if you've spent £2k on a 4090.

Will be this year though, no rush, not like one does not have loads of other games to play in the meantime.

Soldato
I love gaming, so I've dug out the PS4Pro.

In December, I played GoW:Ragnarok. Brilliant, brilliant game. Not available on PC - even if you've spent £2k on a 4090.

The now very cheap PS4Pro and the brilliant games you can get for it (or PS5, if you want to spend more) make a mockery of recent graphics card launches. This little console let's me just sit back and laugh at PC gaming right now: high prices and rubbish games.
hmm may look into a console, they seem to be mega cheapo now for older ones. whats difference in ps4 and pro model? scratch that lets take this to console area of forum

Soldato
No ETA at present on those, 4090 seems to be going pretty short this month I am afraid.

Ok, thanks.

Looking to stock any other water-cooled 4080's? Such as the Gigabyte?

After a card that has the block already fitted - don't fancy splitting a FE again if I can avoid it.

Back
Top Bottom