• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA 4000 Series

Soldato
I haven't moved the goal posts at all, I got one for £650, everyone I know that wanted one got one at that price, loads of people on here got one for that price.

There are literally dozens of price/stock websites, lmao that a software developer doesn't apparently know that the internet exists.

Like you came up with some fake number that wasn't believable and doubled down on trying to claim that one of these fake people who magically works in tech doesn't even know about "the internet".

My favourite bit being, he's apparently such a good friend of yours that you witheld this information for 18 months.
:D Read through what you've written and see how much you've made up. I'll get you started; nobody said that these "fake people" work in tech or that the game developer was even a friend of mine nevermind a good friend etc.

Unfortunately this is often what people in your situation tend to do so at this point I'll leave you to your conjuring trick. ;)

• Haha
Reactions: TNA
Associate
You've played all of the games? Impressive! I'm still picking up titles from years ago that I never got round to playing.
Yeah, I've been at this a long time. Unfortunately my "backlog" throughout the year is normally zero. Most "retro" game fun I've had in the last few years has been with a hacked PS Vita. :)

Associate
What a 4090 will give is much more longevity especially in a couple of years when cpus catch up and enable the 4090 to really stretch its legs at 1440p.
Hmm.. Spend upwards of £2k on a graphics card that only makes sense "in a couple of years" from now at a lowly 1440p. :)

My big concern for the 4090 is it will be trounced by 5090 (and AMDs new gen.) if they go MCM on the GPU dies. And I think they will. Mind you, they will cost as much as a house by then, so it's all moot. :)

Soldato
Hmm.. Spend upwards of £2k on a graphics card that only makes sense "in a couple of years" from now at a lowly 1440p. :)

My big concern for the 4090 is it will be trounced by 5090 (and AMDs new gen.) if they go MCM on the GPU dies. And I think they will. Mind you, they will cost as much as a house by then, so it's all moot. :)

It will trouce it and it will be 2k.

Soldato
I doubt we’ll see MCM gpu dies next gen from Nvidia, it’ll most likely be a 3nm mono die with a 40% uplift at the top for a bit more money and a 25% uplift at the midrange for the same price.

Last edited:
Caporegime
I've been PC gaming since the late 80s, so I know the score too. :)

You posted your reasoning above:

"It has such a rich and amazing back catalogue of titles that can be had for VERY cheap prices (steam key sites) that thanks to the latest hardware we can bump up to max detail settings at high frames. When you factor in modding there is im simply no replacement for the PC. It is unique."

The problem is, you could do all that 4-5 years ago - and we all did. So no reason to do it all again now for no reason.

I guess we'll just agree to differ. But the lack of really decent cutting edge titles and the insane price of graphics cards has turned me off PC gaming heavily in the last year or so - and as a hardcore PC gamer, I never thought I'd reach a stage where I'd ever be saying that. :(

Peace. :)
I do wonder what game genres you play that you feel you have played all that the the PC's full back catalogue has to offer, especially those with a heavy mod scene, because you objectively have an absolute potato PC with a 1GB VRAM GPU from 2011 that is not going to handle anything but very basic titles. But anyway I think it's clear what your viewpoint is so lets agree to disagree. :)

Soldato
Last edited:
Soldato
Given there is no crypto demand, everything (other than the halo versions) should really be at MSRP. Just like they were on day 1.
The last few times I checked online in the US, there was at least one 4090 available to add to cart at their (AIB) MSRP. (Two today)

Both the 4080 and 4070Ti have been in stock at MSRP every time I checked.

The landscape looks very different now that these things don't print money.

Soldato
The last few times I checked online in the US, there was at least one 4090 available to add to cart at their (AIB) MSRP. (Two today)

They are selling loads. Just back to a normal market.

Soldato
I really like the look of the gainward 4080 phantom, but £1349, yikes

4070 ti phantom at £799
No point in moving from my 3080 trinity to the 4070 ti, but that 4080 price... Yeh....

Do people honestly think these prices are here to stay? Or have we just got to suck it up and pay? I have a real bad itch at the moment but I'm holding myself back because deep down I know this is insane pricing

Soldato
They are selling loads. Just back to a normal market.
In a normal market the cards are usually out of stock till around 4-6 weeks after launch.

4070 ti phantom at £799
No point in moving from my 3080 trinity to the 4070 ti, but that 4080 price... Yeh....

Do people honestly think these prices are here to stay? Or have we just got to suck it up and pay? I have a real bad itch at the moment but I'm holding myself back because deep down I know this is insane pricing
I think it depends how many people cave and pay the prices. From what Jensen said to investors about layering the new cards on top it seemed to be a short term solution to sell off the ampere stock but then if enough people go out and buy the cards at these silly prices then he will just keep prices high. This is why its important not to buy at the minute until Nvidia correct the pricing as not only will you be getting ripped off now but every time you buy a GPU going forward.

Last edited:
Soldato

That, but also keep in mind they are double overpriced products, prescalped by Nvidia. If 4080 would have come as 3080 was to the 3090 (both in performance and price), you wouldn't have the same availability. Scalper would also run wild.

Associate
That, but also keep in mind they are double overpriced products, prescalped by Nvidia. If 4080 would have come as 3080 was to the 3090 (both in performance and price), you wouldn't have the same availability. Scalper would also run wild.
Yes there's seems to be a balance.. i don't want to overpay but at the same time felt that the 3080 was underpriced. I was lucky to get a founders edition for MSRP during the launch month but the constant tension wasn't worth it. Also i was waiting for AMD to show their hand during the ampere launch otherwise i would have probably bought one of those overpriced aib cards.

Soldato
Yeah, you're spot on. We've never had it so good. When I was a kid, I dreamt of owning a graphics card that was the same price as some second hand cars. I wanted to one day get real value for my money by not buying a portable monitor, a tent, an air fryer, a mini PC, a pair of high-end audio ear buds, a pair of audiophile quality bookshelf speakers, a floor lamp, a portable solar panel, a decent quality solar generator and a new telly. None of that. Instead, I thought to myself "No! I'm going to put all that money into a graphics card!"

The only problem was that after I did actually buy all that stuff, I didn't have enough dosh left to get 'Gullible Mug' tattooed onto my forehead.

Hey don't be mean. My 5 grand pc can play roller-coaster tycoon that I bought for 39p. If that's not a good use of money then I don't know what is.

Associate

4070 ti phantom at £799

I've got the itch but having got a 3080 FE for £650 in Dec 20 there's no way I'm caving, it's just too big a mental jump to go to £1200+. Had a 4080 been circa £650 + 2 years worth of inflation there would be one in my PC now, availability permitting.

It's just got me looking at other parts of my setup instead.

Soldato
I've got the itch but having got a 3080 FE for £650 in Dec 20 there's no way I'm caving, it's just too big a mental jump to go to £1200+. Had a 4080 been circa £650 + 2 years worth of inflation there would be one in my PC now, availability permitting.

It's just got me looking at other parts of my setup instead.
I'm the same.
Already looked at CPU but again I have a 5800x on b550 so even the move to 13th gen intel is a pointless move.

Then the price of DDR5 is holding me back going to am5 so literally no idea what to do.

I'm now looking at upgrading my sn550 to something better and possibly upgrading DT770 headphones to something else

Associate
I'm the same.
Already looked at CPU but again I have a 5800x on b550 so even the move to 13th gen intel is a pointless move.

Then the price of DDR5 is holding me back going to am5 so literally no idea what to do.

I'm now looking at upgrading my sn550 to something better and possibly upgrading DT770 headphones to something else
Yeah i'd probably be going down the AM5 route now instead, if motherboards weren't a pisstake.

I'm looking at monitors instead.

Back
Top Bottom