• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA 4000 Series

Caporegime
Yes, until now I believed it was only AIB cards that had exhibited this issue and from that I inferred it would be those where the "chassis" of the card isn't properly attached to the rear bracket allowing a large degree of flex/sag.

It was only that someone earlier commented 4090FE cards were also cracking which surprised me and started me wondering how and why.

Incidentally, in that northridgefix video, the number of Asus cards was shocking.

There's apparently been a couple of fe cards it's happened to. But I think third party cards are more vulnerable. The FE card is basically a metal box with a very small pcb inside, most of the third party cards are long pcbs with a heavy heatsink hanging from them. They're going to be more prone to flexing the board a lot and potentially cracking.

Caporegime
Seems like they need to bin off the pcie slot and build some other kind of socket. It's obvs possible because people hang chonky cpu coolers off the mobo all the time.

Plus the retention lever is badly dated, it's hard to get access to it now with how big cards can be. Vertically mounted cards it can be a nightmare.

Man of Honour
So this just turned up:

zZY79Y4.jpg

i4SyfPj.jpg
Hope you use the sag bracket/stand :p

Associate
I have a 4080, but only 1080p / display, so I either downsample from 4k (not sure if there is performance loss or not vs. regular 4k performance) or do a 3x1080p in Surround.

For the 4k, DLSS Performance is 52FPS without FG and 71FPS with. Ultra Performance is 78fps without FG or 99FPS with. Something like a 4090 should give a 4k@60 (in Performance), without FG or perhaps, a reworked engine more optimized for PT to increase the performance as well - like 4A did with Metro.

The rest of the cards should do well for lower res, perhaps not the 4050, but that is to be expected - maybe just regular RT.

BTW, 4k raster native is only 33fps - again, not sure if there is some sort of bottleneck. So yeah, good luck to "purists" aka raster and native only players. :)
Yeah, I'm sticking with PT only games being another 5+ years, short of a massive technological change. PT only modes, sure. But no game (outside of tech demos) being RT/PT only.

Because between them, the 4080+4090 only make ~1.5% on the steam survey... and I'm not convinced even they would make as well as you think.

Caporegime
Zuck announced Meta is buying 350k H100 Nvidia GPUs for its AI

Zuck is trying to make Jensen richer, think of all the leather jackets he can buy!

350,000 GPUs * $30k each. Though this order size they probably get a discount, maybe $20k each? Who knows, it's Nvidia maybe it's full price. Anyway that's up to $10 billion in revenue for Jensen, from a single customer

And this one order will generate more profit for Nvidia than they make in an entire year selling gaming GPUs to us peasants
All that so his Metaverse avatar can have legs..

Soldato
Zuck announced Meta is buying 350k H100 Nvidia GPUs for its AI

Zuck is trying to make Jensen richer, think of all the leather jackets he can buy!

350,000 GPUs * $30k each. Though this order size they probably get a discount, maybe $20k each? Who knows, it's Nvidia maybe it's full price. Anyway that's up to $10 billion in revenue for Jensen, from a single customer

And this one order will generate more profit for Nvidia than they make in an entire year selling gaming GPUs to us peasants

Wowsers that’s some deal, just goes to show why Nvidia are so focused on AI

Man of Honour
Super sales so far not so Super...

“Dude, 4070 Super sales are a DISASTER,” said one board partner, adding that “frankly we are getting fed up with being told to push models over MSRP while Nvidia gets to sell Founders Editions from their website.” Several retailers are also quoted, with one anonymous large retailer saying that sales were lower than those of the original, and obscenely overpriced, GeForce RTX 4080, and that it was only the MSRP models that were selling.

Another retailer said that not a single person came into the store or called about the RTX 4070 Super on launch day, while another said it had “actually rejected an offer to receive ~200 4070 Supers from an AIB this week.” The reason given shows a recurring theme between the responses, which is that no one is interested in paying for souped-up, overclocked cards with loads of RGB lighting in this price range. “We had a feeling it would be nearly impossible to get gamers in 2024 to buy a 12GB GPU above $600,” says the retailer.

Even scalpers are regretting charging their bots into online stores to inhale as many RTX 4070 Super cards as possible. “It was really easy for us to buy 4070 Supers today on BestBuy.com & Nvidia’s website,” says a representative of a scalper collective, but adds that “we’ll be canceling most of our orders after seeing the bad sales…expect more Founders to pop up soon!”

Back
Top Bottom