• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA 4000 Series

Associate
But yet, they sell so quickly. I honestly dont get it.
Nothing to do with speedup, some people heard 5000 series getting pushed till 2025 and £200 less was enough to pull the trigger, it seems. Plenty of people who waited a really long time with upgrades and patience run out, I reckon.

Associate
That is why I don't wait with upgrades too long - I always get good monies selling current GPU/CPU etc. and getting new one. Never had any issues with that either. One can wait forever, I rather enjoy things now. Though, if 1 generation jump is too small, I skip it, unless I have to add close to £0 for such upgrade. Life is too short for waiting. :)
A fellow connoisseur :cool:

Caporegime
Its not really $200 less for 1% extra though is it. Lets face it no one is going to upgrade from 4080 to 4080 Super

It's 200 less for 1% extra over what the 4080 was offering when it got released. Giving this thing the tagline 'super' is just embarrassing if this is what they can do after a year plus.

Associate
It's 200 less for 1% extra over what the 4080 was offering when it got released. Giving this thing the tagline 'super' is just embarrassing if this is what they can do after a year plus.
It's rather clear, I believe, that the idea wasn't to give more, it was just to sell them cheaper (it's time for price drops anyway since release) but instead of just dropping price, they made "new" release with namechange (and pretty much same performance) which gave them a lot of new publicity, new potential buyers etc. Just clever marketing. This is exactly same reason why 2000 series had Super cards - to move sales numbers a bit, as they were tanking badly.

Caporegime
It's rather clear, I believe, that the idea wasn't to give more, it was just to sell them cheaper (it's time for price drops anyway since release) but instead of just dropping price, they made "new" release with namechange (and pretty much same performance) which gave them a lot of new publicity, new potential buyers etc. Just clever marketing. This is exactly same reason why 2000 series had Super cards - to move sales numbers a bit, as they were tanking badly.

The 2080 super was around 10-15% faster than the 2080ti. More or less what's expected with a refresh vs this joke.

Associate
Nvidia needs to be giving a free pair of boxers with the 4080 super for all the pants there pulling down ......I just wish I got a 4090 day one now as cannot see my 3070 lasting till 5000 cards ....
At least you have some Ray Tracing and DLSS I am on a GTX 1070, the only comparable thing I have is 8GB VRAM as well.

Caporegime
For me I'm paying £350 a month for three months, then I'm going to sell my RTX 3070 TI EVGA FTW!

Yes it's a lot and to be honest I'd rather not spend that much but I haven't treated myself like this for a very long time. Considering how bad 2023 was I thought you know what *** it, I'm going to treat myself. Also so annoying that everytime I've bought a GPU previously - 2070 super / 3070 TI it's always lagging behind in the games I really want to play. So I went the full hog. The RTX 4090 was just too much, plus I'd have to upgrade my PSU and I'm not even running 4K. Just widescreen OLED :)

Associate
That is why I don't wait with upgrades too long - I always get good monies selling current GPU/CPU etc. and getting new one. Never had any issues with that either. One can wait forever, I rather enjoy things now. Though, if 1 generation jump is too small, I skip it, unless I have to add close to £0 for such upgrade. Life is too short for waiting. :)
I am considering changing from an upgrade every 5-6 years, 8 years now, so that my card has some re-saleable value and offsett the cost of a new card.

Back in ancient times a card could be kept for years and a new was affordable when time to to upgrade came. :p:p:p

Associate
The 2080 super was around 10-15% faster than the 2080ti. More or less what's expected with a refresh vs this joke.
It was 2080ti that was 15% faster than 2080 super not the other way around.
2080 super had the smallest uplift from all super cards that generation from what I remember.

Soldato
Are the gaming you tube reviewers at risk of losing their status with nvidia do you think? Why would Nvidia continue to give the likes of Hardware unboxed, gamers nexus and jay2cents the sample cards when they are so critical, and Nvidia likely know they will get poor reviews?

Last edited:
Associate
I am considering changing from an upgrade every 5-6 years, 8 years now, so that my card has some re-saleable value and offsett the cost of a new card.

Back in ancient times a card could be kept for years and a new was affordable when time to to upgrade came. :p:p:p
Good old times, but long gone... or are they? We are at the very limits of what silicon can do, maybe 2 more generations of GPUs and that's it. The time might come when having a GPU for 5+ years won't change much performance-wise. Makes me wonder what will NVIDIA and AMD come up with then - RT is already here, upscaling and AI here, what else can they innovate with? :)

Last edited:
Associate
I have a very funny feeling Horizon Forbidden West™ Complete Edition will be the next game to be free with the cards as Nvidia do not shut up about the game on social media and are waiting for all the 1st rush of sales of the super to get done...so do not have to give out so many free games ....

Back
Top Bottom