• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA 4000 Series

Associate
I do wonder why people try and find reasons why nVidia is not shafting them, when they clearly are, I guess to make themselves feel better about buying but still :(
To be fair, AMD is shafting people too. You know the entire GPU market is a joke when chipzilla is painted as potential saviour :D
Although with current market cap Intel is hardly a chipzilla it once was anyway.

Last edited:

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
No, we didn't.

980 -> 1080: 51% perf increase for 9% more money (38% FPS/$ increase)
1080 -> 2080: 39% perf increase for 17% more money (19%)
2080 -> 3080: 63% perf increase for same money (63%)
3080 -> 4080S: 49% perf increase for 43% more money (4%)
(TPU figures, USD MSRPs)

Yes, the 4080 looks crap but only because of the 3080 which offered a big boost but at an MSRP that was virtually unachievable.

If we change the MSRP of the 3080 from $699 to $849, which is a far more realistic value, then it looks like this:

980 -> 1080: 51% perf increase for 9% more money (38% FPS/$ increase)
1080 -> 2080: 39% perf increase for 17% more money (19%)
2080 -> 3080: 63% perf increase for 21% more money (35%)
3080 -> 4080S: 49% perf increase for 18% more money (26%)

Basically it's the 3080 that makes the 4080 look crap because it was too good/cheap.

You can see the same thing with the 1080Ti, a card that was also too good:

1080Ti -> 2080Ti: 31% perf increase for 43% more money (8% FPS/$ reduction)

You must be a lot younger then us then. I go back more than that and yes we did used to get 50% increase each gen and price only went up by around inflation or thereabouts.

Why even defend the ridiculously priced 4080 anyway?

Soldato
Yeah that entire post is cherry picking to fit the desired outcome. 3080 unobtainable at msrp(altough lots of people got it) but 4080 1200 msrp ignored.

Lol, how exactly am I "cherry picking", it's the straight xx80 product progression through four generations.

I ignored the 4080 because we're specifically talking about the 4080S here, which most people agree is what the 4080 should have been all along.

As for the 3080, the unrealistic MSRP is my whole point as it skews everything else. Of course the 4080 looks crap value by comparison.
Also the "lots of people got it" is nonsense. I'd love to see some figures on the average price paid for a 3080 but I guarantee it was nowhere near the MSRP of $699/£649.

Soldato
You must be a lot younger then us then. I go back more than that and yes we did used to get 50% increase each gen and price only went up by around inflation or thereabouts.

Why even defend the ridiculously priced 4080 anyway?

So you're refuting my claim that we haven't been getting at least 50-100% fps/£ increases by citing figures from over a decade ago? How is that relevant?

I was contesting the claim that we "used to get" such increases by showing that, with the xx80 cards, we haven't for at least 8 years. Yes prices are very high but it's not something that's just happened with the 40-series, it's been happening for a while now.

I was also taking the opportunity to show that the impressive bump we got with the 3080 is what's responsible for making the 40-series look crap by comparison, and that much of that "impressiveness" was down to an aggressive MSRP which most people never got anywhere near.

Soldato
3080 -> 4080S: 49% perf increase for 18% more money (26%)

Basically it's the 3080 that makes the 4080 look crap because it was too good/cheap.
I would question those figures. There was only a tiny window with a tiny amount of shipments at the low price for the 3080. Like a lot of people I ordered in the first week of release and ended up paying £949 for my 3080 which was how much OCUK offered me for an alternative card after that original batch got canceled. The 4080super is £959 a £10 increase. Only a few very lucky people got those 3080s on release at that low price. Most orders never got fulfilled or they got replace with the 2nd version at a higher base price.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
So you're refuting my claim that we haven't been getting at least 50-100% fps/£ increases by citing figures from over a decade ago? How is that relevant?

I was contesting the claim that we "used to get" such increases by showing that, with the xx80 cards, we haven't for at least 8 years. Yes prices are very high but it's not something that's just happened with the 40-series, it's been happening for a while now.

I was also taking the opportunity to show that the impressive bump we got with the 3080 is what's responsible for making the 40-series look crap by comparison, and that much of that "impressiveness" was down to an aggressive MSRP which most people never got anywhere near.

Mate, your the one who started by quoting me and banging on about the 4080 price.

I clearly said IMO.

Why even defend the 4080 price? I just don't get it.

Soldato
People keep referring to the MSRP of the 3080, that was an anomaly imo. If you was lucky enough to get one (I was), not very long after it was released it’s MSRP wasn’t £650 anymore was it. Not sure how much nvidia put the price up for the FE, but I know my 3080 went up to £1200 and that was direct from OCUK. I don’t think we will ever see that happen again.

Associate
People keep referring to the MSRP of the 3080, that was an anomaly imo. If you was lucky enough to get one (I was), not very long after it was released it’s MSRP wasn’t £650 anymore was it. Not sure how much nvidia put the price up for the FE, but I know my 3080 went up to £1200 and that was direct from OCUK. I don’t think we will ever see that happen again.
Nvidia never adjusted the FE price. I bagged it for 650 roughly 3 months after release.

Last edited:
Soldato

clearly this gen has had the worse price to performance increases in decades, maybe even in the entire history of GPUs, even ignoring the 3080 none of the other tiers were particularly compelling either from the 4060ti which was slower than a 3060ti in some cases and the 4070 and 4070ti which had single digit price performance increases, the only cards which actually delivered above single digits were the 4090 and 4060 although the later was a downgrade on VRAM.

Caporegime
This.

NV has all the data from 30 series sales, they know 3070s sold for over £900, 10gb 3080s went at £1500+ at retail, they want as much of that extra scalped cash as they can get.

Problem they have is there's no lockdown or mining this gen and the majority that bought through COVID/mining are not upgraders.

Problem we have though is NV probably only need to sell (for example) 2 GPUs at the higher pricing to create the same profit as 3 GPUs would make at the lower price.

AMD are copying NV's lead except they're just as overpriced as well but on lower pp's.

That's fair, the difference is AMD's user base are less tolerant of the _____ and with that they soon have to bring it down a notch or two.

Its why its not AMD who worry me, AMD GPU sales are up and deservedly so, now at least, the 7800XT and 7900XTX are hot sellers, so is the 7900 GRE where its available.

Associate
clearly this gen has had the worse price to performance increases in decades, maybe even in the entire history of GPUs, even ignoring the 3080 none of the other tiers were particularly compelling either from the 4060ti which was slower than a 3060ti in some cases and the 4070 and 4070ti which had single digit price performance increases, the only cards which actually delivered above single digits were the 4090 and 4060 although the later was a downgrade on VRAM.
4090 is quite ok jump wise, thats why its much more popular than 4080

Associate
Lol, how exactly am I "cherry picking", it's the straight xx80 product progression through four generations.
Because you are comparing launch price of 3080 to discounted 4080s price roughly 9 months(14 at most) before the new gen comes out. Comparison to 4080 wouldnt fit the picture, even with 849 price for 3080.

Last edited:
Caporegime
One thing people should not be doing is comparing EOL discounted pricing to newly released generation pricing.

Quite a few tech jurnoes thought they were being clever by doing that, Nvidia's and to some extent AMD's response to that was to stop discounting EOL GPU's.
Yeah, thanks, idiots, your idiotic 1D chess move ruined it for those of us wanting to buy older generation GPU's at a discount.

Now they have a new stupid idea, compare new GPU pricing to used... and the price of used GPU's keeps going up....

Last edited:
Caporegime
Tech Jurnoes are the sort of people who promote features that GPU vendor's use to market worse GPU's as having an added value in the form of those features.
When that value gets added the tech jurnoes promoting these features then blame the GPU vendor for adding that value, or worse yet blame one of them for not trying hard enough as a competitor in those value added features.

When in that example they are responsible for the never ending hike in GPU pricing its of no surprise when they also find other ways to cause an inflation in pricing, because where one can attribute stupidity to what looks like malice one should opt for the former.

They are idiots.

Last edited:
Associate
Tech Jurnoes are the sort of people who promote features that GPU vendor's use to market worse GPU's as having an added value in the form of those features.
When that value gets added the tech jurnoes promoting these features then blame the GPU vendor for adding that value, or worse yet blame one of them for not trying hard enough as a competitor in those value added features.

When in that example they are responsible for the never ending hike in GPU pricing its of no surprise when they also find other ways to cause an inflation in pricing, because where one can attribute stupidity to what looks like malice one should opt for the former.

They are idiots.
While I generally agree, you have to admit that Ray Tracing is the biggest innovation in graphics since pixel shaders(I still, to this day, remember Morrowind water)

Last edited:
Caporegime
While I generally agree, you have to admit that Ray Tracing is the biggest innovation in graphics since pixel shaders(I still, to this day, remember Morrowind water)

I do agree, yes, if one can afford it where its useable, and i understand affordability will not always going be an equation, or at least we hope, if Nvidia have no influence on it.....

However, this, as you know is not what i'm talking about :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom