• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA 4000 Series

So you are saying play games at sub 30fps now, wait 4+ years between upgrades all so you can gain some unneeded speed in 12+ months from a 5xxx card that won't be any real benefit over a 4080super any time soon. That's how I see it. Better to upgrade now and enjoy games now then skip the 5xxx card. If a new game comes out in a future that needs more speed then upgrade to a 5000 or 5xxxx super as needed.

Upgrades should be best based on the games you are playing now. If you have the money and have games that need performance now, we are not better off long term waiting. With new games like Alan Wake 2 I found the 3080 is no longer enough. Now is the time to upgrade for me. Not when the 4080 first version came out, not when the 5000 comes out, now is the point I benefit from upgrading.

Waiting for the next generation or perfect moment to upgrade is a trap. Its a never ending chase as there is always something better around the corner.
My thought was if you have waited this long, to buy a new card, given the crypto boom, then COVID shortages and then the RTX 4000 series massive price hikes, but if for yourself your present card provides acceptable performance you can live with a bit longer, then there is no harm in waiting a bit longer for the RTX 5000 series, with the added benefit that you can save a bit longer and perhaps get a better card than you had originally planned, say a xx70 to xx80.

I agree though if your card is no longer providing you the performance you need to get the best enjoyment then its best to upgrade to enjoy your games.

For myself I am approaching the point where my games performance, I tend towards strategy games like Total War, Civilization and Stellaris, as well as online multiplayer games, Palworld, Fortnite and CS:GO 2 and Battlefield, on my present card, will no longer be acceptable, and no matter what I will be buying a new card, come the next generation, barring a GPU fault, whether that will be the RTX 5080 or an AMD RX 8900XT/XTX

Last edited:
Hopefully still is in a few hours I’ve left my wallet at home, thought it would let me use PayPal but thought wrong :cry:

Edit: Nevermind got one in the end and already sold my 3080 for £300 so happy with that :D
You can use Paypal if you want.

From the NVIDIA website, add the card to basket. Then delete the part of the URL after the '.co.uk' and press enter. The card will still be in the basket and you have the full suite of payment and delivery options, you can login to your account, add additional items to the basket, etc.

Yes it is, its a shame finding something like that is a fluke.
Not gonna happen in UK yet, unless it's dodgy/fake/broken. They still sell very well here.

The downside of holding on to Nvidia cards isn't even performance but the fact they introduce new features each gen now that are limited to only new series and rarely support any older series. So perhaps before 5k series comes we'll see 4090s cheap on the 2nd hand market.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom