• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA ‘Ampere’ 8nm Graphics Cards

Soldato
tenor.gif

ljt

ljt

Soldato
Ah yes, of course, you're all being "discerning consumers"....my mistake ;)

Eh?

I didn't buy a 2000 series purely on the fact that they decided to offer the weakest performance increase in recent history, yet had the biggest price increase in recent history. I don't support that, so I didn't buy. The money for a 2080Ti was sitting there waiting, and still is. If they do the same this time around, then I'll refuse to buy again. I fail to see how this is so hard to grasp. It is not as simple as "can I afford it or not"

Caporegime
The way you frame your statements betrays the envy. The price will be the price, it's not "inflated", it just is, and I haven't seen anyone suggest we should buy to help prop up pension funds. If you can point me to the post that seriously suggested it I'll start having a go at them :)
Enough with the armchair psychology.

Who am I envious of, exactly? I said already I could (without consequence) go out and buy two 2080 Tis tomorrow if I wanted. Without finance or missing out on anything else I want to do with my money.

I don't because I don't want to, because I think it's a terrible value proposition.

Am I now "jealous" of those who want to? It doesn't make any sense.

Soldato
Eh?

I didn't buy a 2000 series purely on the fact that they decided to offer the weakest performance increase in recent history, yet had the biggest price increase in recent history. I don't support that, so I didn't buy. The money for a 2080Ti was sitting there waiting, and still is. If they do the same this time around, then I'll refuse to buy again. I fail to see how this is so hard to grasp. It is not as simple as "can I afford it or not"

I'm pretty much in the same boat. I have a 1080Ti and didn't fancy shelling out for a 2080Ti for 20% performance and poor RT. That being said, if the rumours are even remotely true, the 3090 will be worth getting.

Man of Honour
nVidia don't need to justify their prices to you, nor does anyone else, as someone else said the entitlement in this thread is ridiculous.

If it's too much for you, don't buy it. Don't go around trashing people who are willing to pay the premium for the best because your too salty about it. Remember these people are paying for the technological advances that filter down to your price range.

They are not trashing people, NVidia prices are too high because they are making poor products.

With Turing they are selling Cards with huge difficult to manufacture chips with features that not everyone wants which in turn means very high prices.

I will be buying Ampere but I still think the cards are very overpriced for their target market.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
They are not trashing people, NVidia prices are too high because they are making poor products.

With Turing they are selling Cards with huge difficult to manufacture chips with features that not everyone wants which in turn means very high prices.

I will be buying Ampere but I still think the cards are very overpriced for their target market.
Well said Kaaps.

Same here, I will very likely be buying Ampere also and just because I am not happy with silly prices, does not mean I am trashing people. We are free to speak of our displeasure of the direction Nvidia are taking their prices.

Associate

See, this I don't disagree with, because you haven't disparaged others for buying what they want, nor are you demanding to have 2080Ti performance for £5!

Yes, Turing clearly wasn't a great leap forward in general performance compared to pascal. RTX, tensor cores etc made the chips larger and more expensive. Whether it represents value for money over pascal is definitely subjective.

Yep, Nvidia didn't advance performance as much as they managed on previous generations. But that doesn't mean anyone was scammed, nor that "I deserve more!"

In fact it may mean that we're heading towards limits, either in physics or in nvidia's current architectural approach.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom