• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA ‘Ampere’ 8nm Graphics Cards

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
I'm looking to maybe move up to a 3080 when launched. I know it's a question no-one can answer definatelty but what are the chances my current PSU (Corsair non-modular 650W) will be up to the job? I've been offered an 850W one (at a cost) but not sure if I will "need" it.
Worth getting a 850w I would say. As it is always good to give your PSU some breathing room by not running it full load. Like my PSU fan never spins up and runs at a higher efficiency by using around half its rated power.

All the rumours say the 3000 series will be power hungry, especially if you OC. But we won’t know for sure until next month.

Soldato
Worth getting a 850w I would say. As it is always good to give your PSU some breathing room by not running it full load. Like my PSU fan never spins up and runs at a higher efficiency by using around half its rated power.

All the rumours say the 3000 series will be power hungry, especially if you OC. But we won’t know for sure until next month.
My thoughts too. Better safe than sorry. Thanks.

Caporegime
This line of thinking is dripping in envy. Not buying a card because it might make rich people richer is a ridiculous reason not to buy something. If the product provides enough value to you for the asking price then it's silly not to purchase it because rich people might get richer. You are cutting off your nose to spite your face.

You would rather we have nothing so long as no one has more money than you? Because that's what will happen if people stop buying discretionary goods - they will stop being produced.

In a free market (and I am not for one minute suggesting we are living in a totally free market) people only get rich by providing other people with things they value. They can't force you to buy their products, and companies would rather sell a million units at £100 profit than 1000 at £1000 profit.

And to suggest that anyone here is arguing that higher prices is a good thing in and of itself is equally asinine. I'd love Titan RTX performance for £50 but it's not available for that price, no matter how much people moan on forums about it.
If you've been following the thread, you'll know that for me (and others) the products do not provide enough value at the asking price.

What you are calling envy is simply our rebuttal to the people saying, "Buying at these (inflated) prices will support future R&D and help prop up pension funds."

Soldato
I'd love Titan RTX performance for £50 but it's not available for that price, no matter how much people moan on forums about it.

That would actually be a devastating blow for the industry if Nvidia released a range bargain graphics cards this gen.

Nvidia would have 100% market share and AMD Radeon Technologies Group would have to file for bankruptcy.

Nvidia would then be free to charge what they like. Next gen would be VERY expensive and would offer very little improvement without any competition.

I don't think a stagnated market with no competition is a good thing. But surely it would happen if Nvidia lowered their prices for one generation. It's a tactic they could do to kill competition but they don't because of competition rules.

We do need better value but not to the extreme that some have been saying.

Intel's high prices allowed AMD to fight back because people were fed up of paying silly prices. High prices in a monopoly encourages competition with lower prices.

Last edited:
Associate
If you've been following the thread, you'll know that for me (and others) the products do not provide enough value at the asking price.

That's a perfectly fine position to hold, as long as you respect that other people can value the same thing differently.

What you are calling envy is simply our rebuttal to the people saying, "Buying at these (inflated) prices will support future R&D and help prop up pension funds."

The way you frame your statements betrays the envy. The price will be the price, it's not "inflated", it just is, and I haven't seen anyone suggest we should buy to help prop up pension funds. If you can point me to the post that seriously suggested it I'll start having a go at them :)

Associate
Intel's high prices allowed AMD to fight back because people were fed up of paying silly prices. High prices in a monopoly encourages competition with lower prices.
It hasn't yet. In recent years AMD have had plenty of opportunities to lower prices but instead they've just played follow the leader and let Nvidia lead the way.

Soldato
Have any of your personal favourite films been shot in 8K? Are they good?
A number of films that i have seen (and enjoyed) have been filmed on a Red camera. Without diving into the behind the scene stuff, I can't say with 100% certainty they were shot in 8K.
As far as i am aware most hollywood films are shot on Arri cameras.

Why do you ask?

Soldato
It hasn't yet. In recent years AMD have had plenty of opportunities to lower prices but instead they've just played follow the leader and let Nvidia lead the way.

They will never sell at volume with that strategy and maybe they don’t want to if they are having to balance capacity with CPU APU & GPU production.

What we do know is AMD bought up a lot of TSMC production capability when the opportunity came their way

Caporegime
I think a touch of good news is that the 5700XT (and lower) disrupted nVidia sales enough for them to be rightfully wary of them and will hopefully give them a touch of humility when it comes to pricing these puppies. Probably not though!!

Soldato
They also forget what the situation was when the 8800GT was released. The 2900XT was a disaster and could barely compete with the 3rd fastest Nvidia GPU. Then ATI released the HD3870 which was slower than the 8800GT and priced at £150. It couldn't beat the 8800GT which was the 4th fastest Nvidia GPU,and then Nvidia released the 9600GT which traded blows with it. So let that sink in Nvidia had single GPU cards upto £400,but AMD could barely break even half that.

So Nvidia fought a price war,and how did ATI/AMD respond?? The HD4000 and HD5000 series launched after that. ATI/AMD during the HD3000 still had more sales share than AMD RTG has today.

Plus has everyone in the GPU section just forgot about Ryzen? It seems to me no one was moaning when AMD massively undercutting Intel core for core. GPUs seem to some really Apple level thing.

Why don't some people feel sympathy for "poor" Intel.

People have said prices were too high for yonks,but always before launch some people pop up before launches,justifying any kind of price increase. Happened even a decade a go. Its like clockwork.

Last edited:
Associate
I think a touch of good news is that the 5700XT (and lower) disrupted nVidia sales enough for them to be rightfully wary of them and will hopefully give them a touch of humility when it comes to pricing these puppies. Probably not though!!
Didn't AMD have to reduce the price they initially wanted to charge for the 5700XT?

They will never sell at volume with that strategy and maybe they don’t want to if they are having to balance capacity with CPU APU & GPU production.

What we do know is AMD bought up a lot of TSMC production capability when the opportunity came their way
I'm thinking they might be tempted to follow the Nvidia model at the top end of higher pricing, lower sales but with bigger margins.

Soldato
Got to laugh at how many people I've seen this week manically trying to sell their 2080Tis and claiming it's because they're "not gaming much any more" or "using my console more". Yeah of course it is :D

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats

This. The guys defending the crusade of 'people can buy what they want its their cash' are missing the point.

Soldato
I'm thinking they might be tempted to follow the Nvidia model at the top end of higher pricing, lower sales but with bigger margins.

I said this before,since people are requesting Nvidia jacks up prices,AMD can also jack up pricing. For example if the RTX3080 is £1000,then if AMD has an equivalent performing GPU,they can charge £800~£900. So AMD will be better value.

Got to laugh at how many people I've seen this week manically trying to sell their 2080Tis and claiming it's because they're "not gaming much any more" or "using my console more". Yeah of course it is :D

They did it at the wrong time. If they sold them a few months ago,they would have made less of a loss.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Haha. Yea, they know the value of it is about to take a nosedive. If you are pretty sure you are going to be upgrading to the latest shiny, makes sense to sell now play on low settings for a few weeks. Plus it is summer so many will be gaming less anyways.

This. The guys defending the crusade of 'people can buy what they want its their cash' are missing the point.
It’s my hard earned money and I will spend it how I want!! :p:D;)

Back
Top Bottom