• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Nvidia DLSS 5 months on-a win or fail?

Soldato
So does anyone think that DLSS isn't a fail at this point in time?
Me, for reasons previously stated in this thread :).
Does it have to be a seen as a fail for some to be happy? It needs improving, yep :). It's like saying the internet was a fail back in 2005 when we had rubbish slow connections, frequent disconnections and it cost the same as making a local call to someone per minute to use it.
I can perfectly happily use DLSS and it looks no worse than some OTHER games do without DLSS. I think NV will improve it though hence and just leaving it enabled. I've yet to try Metro.

Soldato
Does it have to be a seen as a fail for some to be happy? It needs improving, yep :). It's like saying the internet was a fail back in 2005 when we had rubbish slow connections, frequent disconnections and it cost the same as making a local call to someone per minute to use it.
I can perfectly happily use DLSS and it looks no worse than some OTHER games do without DLSS. I think NV will improve it though hence and just leaving it enabled. I've yet to try Metro.

The question from the op was DLSS 5 months on Win or Fail. It's a simple question and the answer is it's a big fail in these 5 months. Whether it improves or not does not change the fact that it's a proper fail atm.

Soldato
The question from the op was DLSS 5 months on Win or Fail. It's a simple question and the answer is it's a big fail in these 5 months. Whether it improves or not does not change the fact that it's a proper fail atm.
Fair point but I hate to call something a fail that's evolving :D. The question is also too B&W with the expectation and desire that the outcome will be a fail.

I use it myself and leave it enabled.I see a nice jump in FPS and immersed in gaming I don't even notice a change to IQ. Compare with some other game and it may not look worse either. I don't give a damn whether it's a win or fail at the moment - the end game is important.
Most haven't even tried it :)

Soldato
Fair point but I hate to call something a fail that's evolving :D. The question is also too B&W with the expectation and desire that the outcome will be a fail.

I use it myself and leave it enabled.I see a nice jump in FPS and immersed in gaming I don't even notice a change to IQ. Compare with some other game and it may not look worse either. I don't give a damn whether it's a win or fail at the moment - the end game is important.

Most haven't even tried it :)

It will no doubt improve as atm it's can't get much worse so the only way is up. We should probably revisit this thread in a years time to give a proper judgement on the tech as in theory it sounds like a nice feature and the one i was more looking forward to. I knew Ray Tracing was not going to be up to much as as powerful as the gtx2080ti is it's still way off the power we need for RT.

Soldato

You are right that it might prove in the future but I did state "at this point in time" deliberately in my question.

The internet was great in 2005 anyway. I was having a whale of a time playing Battlefield 2 online! :D

I don't think many were still using dial up in 2005, I was on 10Mbit by then!

Soldato
Some rural areas are still on the same speeds now as they were back then. Like the village my parents live in. UK infrastructure is crap :/

Man of Honour
Some rural areas are still on the same speeds now as they were back then. Like the village my parents live in. UK infrastructure is crap :/

Yeah sucks - I was complaining the other day because we are moving from somewhere with full 80/20 FTTC to a place that gets like 20-30Mbit on FTTC - but all the houses around have like 1-3Mbit ADSL still... so it is lucky it has FTTC at all at the new place.

Soldato

My old Hamlet is now on faster BB than me. They were stuck on 10mb for years but now have BT Utrafast while in a much bigger town am stuck on 40mb superfast. 6 years back in my old house in the same town i had 120mb virgin. I only live about half a mile from where i used to. Difference being i used to have Virgin and now stuck with BT. I could be on 300mb in the old house but stuck on 40mb for close to 5 years now. Hoping BT ultrafast gets here sooner rather than later. Games are getting huge now so missing the faster speeds a lot more now.

Man of Honour
My old Hamlet is now on faster BB than me. They were stuck on 10mb for years but now have BT Utrafast while in a much bigger town am stuck on 40mb superfast. 6 years back in my old house in the same town i had 120mb virgin. I only live about half a mile from where i used to. Difference being i used to have Virgin and now stuck with BT. I could be on 300mb in the old house but stuck on 40mb for close to 5 years now. Hoping BT ultrafast gets here sooner rather than later. Games are getting huge now so missing the faster speeds a lot more now.

It is funny how the infrastructure is - where I am moving to there is ~4 houses on that edge of the village (one being ours) that are connected to a cabinet in the nearby larger town ~1.2km away cable distance all the other houses and outlying farms, etc. are connected to an exchange several miles the other direction that hasn't been FTTC enabled.

Soldato

Games are insanely huge now. Went from a flat with 10/1 ADSL with games taking all day to download to the house I just bought with gigabit hyperoptic fibre (though over WiFi at 600/600) and went to 10 to 20 minutes to download. Such a relief...

Soldato
Just noticed on reddit that a Metro Exodus patch released today finally fixed DLSS issue and removed blurs.

Launched Metro Exodus and enabled 1440p and DLSS, surprise to see no blurs. Huge improvement with DLSS.

Very good job Nvidia! :)

Hope to see more DLSS improvements in next patch.

Soldato
You are right that it might prove in the future but I did state "at this point in time" deliberately in my question.

The internet was great in 2005 anyway. I was having a whale of a time playing Battlefield 2 online! :D

I don't think many were still using dial up in 2005, I was on 10Mbit by then!
1995 I meant :).
I know what you said but as above I find the whole fail/win thing at this stage irrelevant and many of those calling it a fail haven't even tried real gameplay themselves (ie, not gawping at before and after screenies). It does need improving I think we can probably all agree on that.

Can't wait for the "Brexit 5 months on, win or fail" thread which is certainly going to be a fail (nothing much would have changed by then, possibly some bad times). A sure fire wind up that'd be.

Last edited:
Soldato
1995 I meant :).
I know what you said but as above I find the whole fail/win thing at this stage irrelevant and many of those calling it a fail haven't even tried real gameplay themselves (ie, not gawping at before and after screenies). It does need improving I think we can probably all agree on that.

It isn't irrelevant at all being how it was marketed by Nvidia and the price premium that is partly because of the new DLSS technology. It is very relevant actually because it doesn't "just work".

What does gameplay have to do with anything when it's image quality that takes a massive hit? You can see it clear as day on all videos and images of DLSS that it's a massive waste of time.

Soldato
It isn't irrelevant at all being how it was marketed by Nvidia and the price premium that is partly because of the new DLSS technology. It is very relevant actually because it doesn't "just work".

What does gameplay have to do with anything when it's image quality that takes a massive hit? You can see it clear as day on all videos and images of DLSS that it's a massive waste of time.
But have you actually tried gaming using DLSS? A very high % of people will get into the game and not even notice a difference in IQ which is what happened to me. I then played some FarCry New Dawn after about 2 hours of BFV with DLSS on and realised without RT or DLSS the IQ was just as bad as the DLSS image in BFV :), I then played BFV and turned DLSS on and off and surprise surprise I notice the difference. Look at before and after video's and you will notice the difference. Stick me in the game, immersed and I don't notice it.
It does just work but it needs improving :D. Evolving, R&D, whatever, it doesn't make it a fail in my opinion which is good because we can all think differently.
While some are moaning about it, others like me just get on and game with DLSS on and wait for the improvements to come along later. It works, it improves FPS, it just needs some improvement :D. Fail or win for those people?

Last edited:
Permabanned
But have you actually tried gaming using DLSS? A very high % of people will get into the game and not even notice a difference in IQ which is what happened to me. I then played some FarCry New Dawn after about 2 hours of BFV with DLSS on and realised without RT or DLSS the IQ was just as bad as the DLSS image in BFV :), I then played BFV and turned DLSS on and off and surprise surprise I notice the difference. Look at before and after video's and you will notice the difference. Stick me in the game, immersed and I don't notice it.
It does just work but it needs improving :D. Evolving, R&D, whatever, it doesn't make it a fail in my opinion which is good because we can all think differently.
While some are moaning about it, others like me just get on and game with DLSS on and wait for the improvements to come along later. It works, it improves FPS, it just needs some improvement :D. Fail or win for those people?

You would have the same result by turning off the FPS counter and smearing your screen with vaseline :D

Soldato

If you don't notice it then that's on you but the IQ drop is very significant and very obvious. There are aready ways improve performance more while lowering IQ less (resolution scaling) which completely renders the entire technology pointless now. This may change in the future but for now there is absolutely no reason for it to exist.

Add in that every single game needs to be done individually so will never cover all games means it's even more pointless.

Back
Top Bottom