• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Nvidia DLSS 5 months on-a win or fail?

Man of Honour
DLSS has been getting harped on about by nvidia and some of the green contingent on this forum as the second coming for months now. Now it arrives it's a blurry mess. Nvidia were waffling about this like all they had to do was run a game through their supercomputer and 5 mins later you had 4k quality with increased framerates. Now people are saying it might take multiple attempts for the "ai to learn". Considering how long it took to get this into BFV for any devs that buy into this there's going to be a queue of games waiting multiple runs through this supercomputer of theirs.

I think people should give DLSS a go first hand before making a judgement, from personal experience it seems to work quite well.

RTX on the other hand I find a bit limited unless you are using mega hardware and the right software.

Caporegime
DLSS has been getting harped on about by nvidia and some of the green contingent on this forum as the second coming for months now. Now it arrives it's a blurry mess. Nvidia were waffling about this like all they had to do was run a game through their supercomputer and 5 mins later you had 4k quality with increased framerates. Now people are saying it might take multiple attempts for the "ai to learn". Considering how long it took to get this into BFV for any devs that buy into this there's going to be a queue of games waiting multiple runs through this supercomputer of theirs.

Supercomputer my arse!! When a 70% resolution scaling can beat it I think it must be ****ing malfunctioning or ****ed!!

I think people should give DLSS a go first hand before making a judgement, from personal experience it seems to work quite well.

RTX on the other hand I find a bit limited unless you are using mega hardware and the right software.

You are the only one I have read about who is happy with dlss. Other people (including screenshots) show a very very noticeable blurring if the image. It looks terrible!

Soldato
Yea it looks like someone just put depth of field over EVERYTHING.

The whole "supercomputer" thing is a load of ********. They just turned the res down and added buckets of nasty anti-aliasing.

Associate
The fact is currently you can only use dlss with rtx on. This is because it is slower than normal rasterisation without rtx. Once cards are good enough dlss will die as it is only likely invented to give some decent rtx frame rates for cards over the next couple of years.

Soldato
The fact is currently you can only use dlss with rtx on. This is because it is slower than normal rasterisation without rtx. Once cards are good enough dlss will die as it is only likely invented to give some decent rtx frame rates for cards over the next couple of years.
That's a shame to be honest and does give the impression that it's to help RT only. It might have been a selling point if a 2070 could blow away a 1080 Ti with RT off and DLSS on for example.
Still, I'll give them the benefit of the doubt for now. I can get used to it easily as I did yesterday but switching to DLSS off at the moment it's easy to tell the difference, sadly. For me the FPS gain is worth it so I will just leave it on with RT on ultra and see how the technology progresses. With a 2080 at 1440P, it's working fine, but could be and hopefully will get better.
I'm enjoying trying all this stuff !

Last edited:
Soldato
It's already a fail due to the price. You can add extra cool features until you're blue in the face but none will hide the fact it's too expensive.

They could release 1,000 RTX games and it wouldn't hide the fact it's too expensive, hense failed.

The mid-tier 1660 will be Nvidia's saving grace I think.

Associate
It's already a fail due to the price. You can add extra cool features until you're blue in the face but none will hide the fact it's too expensive.

They could release 1,000 RTX games and it wouldn't hide the fact it's too expensive, hense failed.

The mid-tier 1660 will be Nvidia's saving grace I think.
I think if it worked as demonstrated in Jensens speech with the flame thrower mirrored in the car then the cost would have been much better justified.

Soldato

I don't even understand the multiple attempts at training thing. The RTX cards don't do any training. It is the super computers that supposedly run on 64x super-sampled jittered images that create the model. Unless they've released it without training it properly (very short sighted if true), I don't see where improvements can come from.

I think nvidia saw that it beat the crap TAA in FFXV and their Infiltrator demo which is completely canned, and assumed it would be amazing everywhere.

Last edited:
Soldato
Eh, its only going to be marginally faster than a 3 yo 1060 while being slightly more expensive.

The performance may be pants but it's the only product from Nvidia that's affordable. What else do Nvidia have at the midrange? It's either a second hand 1070 or a new 1660. I dont consider the 2060 a valid option.

Caporegime
I don't even understand the multiple attempts at training thing. The RTX cards don't do any training. It is the super computers that supposedly run on 64x super-sampled jittered images that create the model. Unless they've released it without training it properly (very short sighted if true), I don't see where improvements can come from.

I think nvidia saw that it beat the crap TAA in FFXV and their Infiltrator demo which is completely canned, and assumed it would be amazing everywhere.

After all their blabbering to see how it turned out is eyebrow raising to say the least. If this is about as good as it gets then i can see it getting ditched quite soon.

Soldato
For Nvidia? A big win. Marketing game - 100% top tier.

For customers? Depends on their ability to rationalize their purchase(s), like some are trying to in this thread.

I said since launch - this is no better (but possibly worse) than render scale modifying, but once the hype machine starts, it's hard to stop it.

Back
Top Bottom