• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Nvidia gameworks - Game over for you

Status
Not open for further replies.
Caporegime
So much rubbish, the stuff about Project CARS and the developer deliberately running PhysX on the CPU because of AMD bad DX11 drivers. So lolworthy.

Caporegime
The patch 1.3 Fallout 4 stuff is scathing. AMD get 20% increase in performance, Nvidia take a what 5-10% hit on Maxwell but a 30+ % hit on every Kepler card.

As usual, nice to know that if you spent almost £1000 on a GPU way less than two years ago Nvidia doesn't care about you at all, but we knew that already from all the other games that ran like dirt on Kepler last year. How many of those benchmarks for how many games showed completely woeful Kepler performance?

Permabanned
An interesting video, Nothing really new apart from the current FO4 changes where he get's a bit lost in his own ramblings but he does highlight the points people have been making on sites like this one for what feels like years quite well.

Soldato
That video is spot on. Exactly what is happening with the keplar performance, etc. I've tested the Fallout 4 1.3 beta and can definitely see a performance increase. Areas which were dropping to 38 fps are now staying above 49 fps so they guy in the video is not making it up. Any kepler users can confirm?

If AMD do leave the gpu market it's going to be a regular upgrade cycle for us gamers.

edit: Actually it now stays at 60 fps locked. Released I was running in a forced crossfire which was causing dips. The single card mode is much better now.

Last edited:
Soldato
Fallout 4 on my 780 still runs fine with ultra everything. Godrays medium and the gun particles all running. I think it dropped down to 57 fps once *shrug*.

Dont see what all the fuss is about, but im sure if some here owned a kepler gpu you would hate it.

Associate
gamedoesn't works :?

would be nice if Nvidia were a bit better at getting things to run smoothly across the board, for the gpu manufacturer themselves to often (since it's not always as some can clearly cite 1 or 2 games while ignoring the rest) get things wrong it is quite disappointing. You'd think they'd be able to get it right more often than they get it wrong but it seems the other way around and things slowly get fixed but by then the damage is done for a lot of people who bought the games they really wanted early on. Are they going to replay it again once Nvidia gets the gimpworks less gimped just so they can enjoy the performance they should have had from the beginning?

I like the idea of gameworks but Nvidia seem to both fail at delivering it in a great state at the launch of most titles (for everyone and not just some) and also seem to be the wrong people for the job in my mind.

Associate
the toxic nature of gameworks is plain clear to see, i personally thought about it long and hard and came to my conclusion, as others will see it differently, there is just nothing you can do to make ppl see what you see if they dont want to.
i am positive that even if Nvidia gets dragged to court about it and made to confess openly to everything, some ppl would still deny it, thats just the funny way of men.

Soldato
I saw the latest results for my GTX660 in Fallout 4 and its a good thing i upgraded to a GTX960 on the cheap.

yBLObNB.jpg

Once you enable addition features in the game,Kepler is being destroyed by Maxwell. A GTX960 is faster than a GTX770 and equals a GTX780.

n4hcjfG.jpg

The GTX660 when released was in-between an HD7850 and an HD7870 and was around 10% slower than the latter. Its now worse off than an HD7850 or about the same in many games and the gap is increasing over the HD7870 on average.

6ihzXur.jpg

GQHw1SS.jpg

UsfZcaW.jpg

Da931xP.jpg

Xay2PPS.jpg

The HD7870 has aged far better than the GTX660 has! :(

Even in games where the GTX660 does well against the AMD cards still,the GTX960 is matching cards like the GTX680!!

VOWrn8e.jpg

DdtUajs.jpg

I don't know whether its even Gameworks or whether Kepler driver optimisations have ground to a halt with newer games or whether the hardware itself is hitting limitations quicker.

Last edited:
Soldato
Fallout 4 on my 780 still runs fine with ultra everything. Godrays medium and the gun particles all running. I think it dropped down to 57 fps once *shrug*.

Dont see what all the fuss is about, but im sure if some here owned a kepler gpu you would hate it.

I saw the latest results for my GTX660 in Fallout 4 and its a good thing i upgraded to a GTX960 on the cheap.

yBLObNB.jpg

Once you enable addition features in the game,Kepler is being destroyed by Maxwell. A GTX960 is faster than a GTX770 and equals a GTX780.

Interesting...

I'd say Ian is BS'ing....

Soldato
TBH,my GTX660 was cheaper than most HD7850 cards and my GTX960 4GB was closer to £100,but if I paid more than an HD7870 for my GTX660 or more than an R9 380 for my GTX960,I am not sure whether it would have been the wise choice longterm IMHO OFC.

The whole point is that the top end Nvidia cards still have enough grunt but the rest of the product stack below the GTX780 is not as high performance,so is suffering in comparison.

Edit!!

But this is part of the problem for AMD. I know plenty of HD7850/HD7870/HD7950 users who have not bothered upgrading since their cards still are doing well.

However,OTH I know more people like me with the equivalent Nvidia cards having upgraded sooner rather than later.

In some ways,AMD has shot themselves in the foot.

Last edited:

bru

bru

Soldato
Interesting video, and it is certainly a possibility that NVidia are pushing us to upgrade often.
It is really annoying that the graphs he used were from different sections of the game, so we cannot really rely on the results too much, of course he only used the graphs that GameGPU published, but it is irritating all the same. Of course it is slightly different on the AMD hardware, as they are still using the same architecture that was last generation for them as their currant 300 series. all the same it was a interesting watch cheers.

Associate
TBH,my GTX660 was cheaper than most HD7850 cards and my GTX960 4GB was closer to £100,but if I paid more than an HD7870 for my GTX660 or more than an R9 380 for my GTX960,I am not sure whether it would have been the wise choice longterm IMHO OFC.

The whole point is that the top end Nvidia cards still have enough grunt but the rest of the product stack below the GTX780 is not as high performance,so is suffering in comparison.

Edit!!

But this is part of the problem for AMD. I know plenty of HD7850/HD7870/HD7950 users who have not bothered upgrading since their cards still are doing well.

However,OTH I know more people like me with the equivalent Nvidia cards having upgraded sooner rather than later.

In some ways,AMD has shot themselves in the foot.

man the way your are looking at this is so weird.
to you having a company with a GPU that delivers 1000 compute made overtime to deliver 600 compute (through alteration rather than having the effective 1k) is good.
but the company that has a gpu that delivers 1000 compute and strugles to keep that compute as is, is shooting itself on the foot ?
i swear the world is backward nowdays, not only thats morally bankrupt, and deceitful to consumers, even ecologicaly wasteful, you dont need to consume more than what you need or be tricked to do so, and they say the world doesnt have enough resources to sustain the population :p
my support or boycotte to company isn't just matter of their product, but also their politic.

Last edited:
Soldato
Good video, gimping with Gameworks is definitely a real thing. Hats off to Nvidia to coming up with this. They have marketing genius. AMD could offer more exclusive features, which they are working on, if they can do this while keeping the standards open then more power to them.

Caporegime
Very good video, nothing that most of us don't already know though :p It still amuses me that a few defend the 64x VS 16x/8x tess. in the witcher 3 hairworks :o

And yup cat-fifth, this has always been the case with older nvidia and amd cards, I remember when I was looking to upgrade my 7850, it was between the 290 and 780 and the 780 at the time was better overall, iirc in pretty much everything (I went with the 290 in the end as it was quite a bit cheaper once the games where sold on + an extra 1GB of VRAM), where as now the 290 is better than the 780 in everything, it sure is going to be interesting to see the results for dx 12 games too!

I'm intrigued to see how the 390/390x will compare to the 980/970 and the fury x to the 980ti a few months after pascal and polaris GPU's have been released....

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom