• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Nvidia gameworks - Game over for you

Status
Not open for further replies.
Associate
I've noticed my 670 SLI setup not doing great in GTA V recently. When going between looking at something close and something maybe 20 metres away there is so much blur, it takes 3-4 secs to focus in.. Not good when you are in a shoot out!

One other thing, why do people say anything more than a 970 is overkill for 1080p, if you want to run some of those games above at 120FPS, you would need a 980ti!

Soldato
Well thats just idiotic. If AMD disappear expect to pay £2000 for a basic graphics card from Nvidea that after 12 months will be gimped with drivers forcing you to buy another £2000 card that has the same performance of the previous one. Is that a situation you want to be in?

Stop talking rubbish, your crystal ball is acting up again.

Soldato
Well thats just idiotic. If AMD disappear expect to pay £2000 for a basic graphics card from Nvidea that after 12 months will be gimped with drivers forcing you to buy another £2000 card that has the same performance of the previous one. Is that a situation you want to be in?

We should ALL be hoping for a near 50/50 market share between Nvidia and AMD and any company found deliberately gimping cards, dirty tricks against competitors punished severely.
Even better would be to have more than just Nvidia and AMD making GPU's.

ROFL.... Go back to sleep. :o

Caporegime
Time to buy AMD guys the nice man in the video just shutdown nVidia for good.

Shame I was looking forward to buying a 2 grand basic video card from them because beany_bot told me so.

Caporegime
Why do you think new cancer drugs cost £100's of pounds per tablet?? because only 1 company has the patent on the drug! Only when the patent expires and competition comes into play do the prices drop to reasonable levels.

You can't compare a GFX card to a potential life saving drug.

Put it this way. Would you pay £2000 for a 390 GPU?

Soldato
Why do you think new cancer drugs cost £100's of pounds per tablet?? because only 1 company has the patent on the drug! Only when the patent expires and competition comes into play do the prices drop to reasonable levels.

I think what they are trying to say is that £2000 is not going to happen as only nutters would pay it. Nvidia need to sell enough cards to make a profit so could not go to gung ho with pricing. They could up them some and slow things down like Intel have in the cpu market but £2000 is probably to much exaggeration hence some the replys.

Soldato
OP
You can't compare a GFX card to a potential life saving drug.

Put it this way. Would you pay £2000 for a 390 GPU?

Honestly, if it was the only option to game, the yes, I would probably have to save up and buy one yes. sadly.
Yes my pricing was an exaduration. of course. but prices would rise significantly, and performance increases would slow dramatically.

Soldato
Honestly, if it was the only option to game, the yes, I would probably have to save up and buy one yes. sadly.
Yes my pricing was an exaduration. of course. but prices would rice significantly, and performance increases would slow dramatically.

I like the majority of others would quit the PC gaming scene altogether. This would not be good for Nvidias Business.

Soldato

They spend billions in R&D, years of trials and await government approval on many medicines only when they have one they can market they have to charge a large amount at first to recoup the costs already incurred.

errrr, that's why.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
They spend billions in R&D on many medicines only when they have one they can market they have to charge a large amount at first to recoup the costs already incurred.

errrr, that's why.

Actually they don't spend billions. most new cancer drugs come from small independent research companies. And are then bought out by the big boys who sell them at the high price. Yes there are R&D costs involved but no more than GPU R&D costs.

Soldato
OP
Seems to be a fundamental issue with AMD fanboys spelling words how they pronounce them. Have they got spell check working in their drivers yet to render the red squiggle underneath?

wow.. spelling? seriously? Im typing on my phone. Apologies for the spelling error. I'm not a fan boy. I alternate GPU vendor actually. My last card was Nvidia. I just want a fair level playing field for all of us. If AMD was the focus of the video then I would say the exact same thing about them. I only want the best GPUs for all of us. And the best tech and best pricing only comes through healthy competition.

would a fanboy say this is a previous thread?
I'd have to agree. If you have the money that really is the perfect gaming sweet spot just now. 980Ti and 1440p.
https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18715269&page=2&highlight=username_beany_bot

Last edited:
Soldato
If AMD cease to exist or leave the gpu market, the problem may not necessarily be the price of the Nvidia cards since I doubt many would pay over £800. The more pressing issue would be that we will not have AMD cards to compare with like we can now with Fallout 4 and previously Witcher 3.

Nvidia will essentially force people to upgrade every year or two when the older gen cards start to suddenly lose performance due to driver gimping. If Intel could do the same with cpu's they probably would. No matter how much people complain, they will simply say the new cards have better architecture, etc.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Sorry, was it a little early for some light humour?

Oh and owning a card from the other vendor previously and recommending a card from the opposite vendor to the one you own isn't a get out of jail free card, many devout fanboys do the same to deflect from what they really feel.

On topic: I don't think GameWorks is even needed, some of the effects are nice but it shouldn't take some hyper marketed library to do so. Obviously from a business perspective it makes perfect sense.

Last edited:
Soldato
Southampton, hopefully not too hot, or too cold
Imagine if house builders used Gameworks technology, the structure would be fine for a year or two and then suddenly fall apart, needing a complete re-build.

Imagine if two world class sprinters could run identical 100m times in the same model of trainers, but then suddenly one of them asked the trainer manufacturer to give them better spikes than the other sprinter, but the now disadvantaged sprinter could not change the spikes.

If I buy any product because I feel its performance is acceptable for the price, I should be able to get that performance until natural degradation starts kicking in, which I would accelerate if I ran the product above its designed specification. Allowing the manufacturer to actively cause premature degradation to "encourage" me to upgrade sooner is scandalous.

In my opinion, it is a massive conflict of interest for Nvidia or AMD to be influencing game developers, to the extent that the Nvidia/AMD "technology" is crippling the other. It is making a mockery of the open standards, such as DirectX.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom