• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Nvidia Geforce 'Maxwell' Thread

Soldato
OP
Exclusive: NVIDIA Maxwell GM107 architecture unveiled

This is going to be a very interesting post. Forget everything you heard about the GM107, it was simply not accurate.
The facts about Maxwell
NVIDIA Maxwell GM107 specifications

As it turns out, the 768/960 CUDA count as read by GPU-z was wrong. The application could not read the real number because the architecture has been changed compared to Kepler. GPU-Z assumed that each SMX holds 192 CUDA cores, which was not correct. The real number is 128. Full GM107 has 5 SMs with 128 CUDAs each, which gives 640 in total. This means that GTX 750 Ti has 640 CUDAs (5 SMX) and GTX 750 has 512 (4 SMX).

GM107 will replace GK107 with a performance of GeForce GTX 480

You should find this particularly interesting. While GM107 utilizes 4 times less power than Fermi GF100, it will offer the same performance (actually even slightly better).

http://videocardz.com/49557/exclusive-nvidia-maxwell-gm107-architecture-unveiled

Last edited:
Associate
Why does no one seem to care about power consumption reduction in not only GPUs but CPUs? A lot of the progress we have seen recently in technology, especially with Intel's new low powered chips, has come from low power consumption and relatively high performance in relation to this power usage. If one was to plot a graph of the Performance (arbitrary units) / Power Consumption (W) against time, I'd expect that we'd see a very sharp increase trajectory over the past couple of years for both GPUs and CPUs (the latter more so).

It is the decreased power usage of chips that has enabled us to have powerful tablets which are able to run desktop level programs - Windows 8.1 tablets powered by Nvidia Tegra or Intel mobile processors can run my particle system simulations (with >1000 particles, at > 100fps) that I have coded in Visual Studio 2012; try doing that with much older tablets or even desktops of a decade ago.

Point is, power consumption improvements are incredibly important as they allow for much more powerful (performance wise) tablets and mobile phones as well as leading to increased performance in desktop/laptop chips as less power is needed to give greater gains.

Soldato
The Nvidia cash cow is nearly all milked!!

I bet Nvidia release the high end Maxwell cards by end of May / June, get selling those 780Ti before you lose a good £200 to £300 on them!!! lol

Nvidia! The way it's meant to be spent!!

Last edited:
Caporegime
I don't care about power usage on my gaming PC plugged in to the mains... just give me teh IPC's and teh hertzes.

I also couldn't give a hoot about power consumption. nVidia push the green light program and I do what I can to grab moar powah!!!

Of course, if Nvidia/AMD refuse to do a retail single gpu card with a tdp over 250W at stock, then improving power efficiency by 20%, means 20% more performance at 250W, means 20% more performance on their highest end card you will be able to buy.

power/performance go hand in hand at every level. Improvements in power efficiency go across the board and are the fundamental reason for performance improvement.

Of course, Maxwell hasn't shown any power efficiency improvements directly.

If AMD or Nvidia re-taped out their 7970/680gtx with 2 months to go before 20nm was coming to real production, after 2 years of improvements, a better lay out, tweaked performances, new transistor designs from TSMC, marginally changed materials, etc, etc... then both could release a more power efficient last generation architecture card.

So it's impossible to say how much more power efficient Maxwell is. Same with Tegra K1, first A15 cores were using pretty much the first major revision of the core, the two biggest reasons for K1's supposed power efficiency is several revisions new version of the A15 core and that they are using a super tweaked 28nm process.

Same goes with Hawaii, it's faster by a quite a bit larger margin than the 7970 than it uses more power, so it's significantly more efficient, impossible to say how much is process and how much is architecture.

Permabanned
Is power usage not something companies have to comply with now, seems every industry is having to do something to combat excessive consumption.

Caporegime
Mostly for specific devices like consoles, but the requirements are only under specific circumstances. Also these are proposed limits like most things, the EPA types say we want say a 5W limit, all the guys making the devices say we can't do that we want 50W, and they will eventually settle somewhere in between. I don't think there are any specific limits for the consoles yet, just proposed ones.

Either way the proposed limits are for things like standby use. There is no limit proposed for power usage while gaming. It's basically for consumer devices, final things. I don't know if anyone is proposing such limits for say prebuilt computers but even then it will likely be on purely idle/standby type figures and no problem with high power usage when actually being used for the function designed for.

Soldato
OP
NVIDIA GeForce 800 Series in Second Half of 2014

NVIDIA also confirmed during the conference that they are planning to introduce the GeForce 800 series which is fully based on the Maxwell architecture in second half of 2014. This means that we will see the proper high-performance GPUs such as the replacements for GeForce GTX 780, GeForce GTX 770 and GeForce GTX 760 in Q3 2014. We have already noted codenames of the high-end Maxwell chips which include GM200, GM204 and GM206, however NVIDIA didn’t mention what process they would be based on but early reports point out to 20nm.

The initial Maxwell lineup consists of two cores which include GM107 for the GeForce 750 series and the GM108 for entry level GeForce 800M SKUs such as the GeForce GT 840M.

http://wccftech.com/nvidia-maxwell-...eforce-800-series-arrives-2014/#ixzz2tKy20yWr

Soldato
hmm hope they do introduce the full 800 series range but i wouldn't put it past them to just do the 760/770 replacements this year
Nice find boom thanks :)

Soldato
All this talk of power consumption, who really gives a damn when it comes to graphics cards? Just make us a super powerful card, but one which is efficient under low loads :). Nobody games 24/7

Back
Top Bottom