• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Nvidia Geforce 'Maxwell' Thread

Soldato
OP
Big claims there Boomstick, hope you're right - we need some big performers next generation!

It's gonna happen. Nvidia gonna curb stomp all over AMD this upcoming gen. I look forward to seeing bumhug eat his pessimistic words in Q4 :D

I think even enabling 'washed out' mode or 'Mantle' whatever it's called, won't give AMD any extra fps. Nvidia will have such domination in DirectX :D

Last edited:
Soldato
Big claims there Boomstick, hope you're right - we need some big performers next generation!

Maybe he has some contacts at Nvidia who have shown him next generation Nvidia prototypes?? :p

Come,on Boomstick777 stop hiding that GTX880 Titan away from us.

If you want to you can trust us the picture, so one of us can post the picture from an "anonymous" source!! :D

Soldato
What are you basing this on exactly Broom? I can't see anything that suggests someone's going to stomping anyone.:confused:

He's basing it on the 750ti. It's not very sound logic to do so as hes comparing it's power and performance to Gcn architecture when it will be up against gcn 2 arch which is not around yet.

Soldato
He's basing it on the 750ti. It's not very sound logic to do so as hes comparing it's power and performance to Gcn architecture when it will be up against gcn 2 arch which is not around yet.

Apart from the reduction in texture units,there is also something else people need to note. The GM108 only has one GPC,and no interconnects as a result. The lack of interconnects saves power too.

Higher end cards will have multiple GPCs and interconnects.

Soldato
OP
Have some faith guys, Nvidia is really bringing it with Maxwell. Interested to see what AMD's 20nm GCN can do, but is a hungry / hot arch.

With Maxwell, they got compute performance, gaming performance, mining performance and using less power. The performance per watt is extraordinary. That allows, higher clocks, less heat, less power etc..

Def going to be strong competition when these cards launch.

Will be watching launch closely, ready to ditch my 780Ti's before they plummet in value..

This is the gen people will want to upgrade to..

Soldato
Emm,you do understand the different uarchs right??

Kepler was Fermi rejigged. Maxwell is Fermi rejigged via Kepler.

The last big change in Nvidia uarch was the transition from the GT200 to the GF100.

Last edited:
Associate
To be honest I don't think Maxwell will offer massive performance gains, I am waiting for Volta with its stacked DRAM - my 780s should be able to max nearly everything out at 1440p until then (hopefully).

Caporegime
Have some faith guys, Nvidia is really bringing it with Maxwell. Interested to see what AMD's 20nm GCN can do, but is a hungry / hot arch.

With Maxwell, they got compute performance, gaming performance, mining performance and using less power. The performance per watt is extraordinary. That allows, higher clocks, less heat, less power etc..

Will be watching launch closely, ready to ditch my 780Ti's before they plummet in value..

"but is a hungry / hot arch."

In making what looks like a neutral post, there is still always a caveat with you isn't there?

As long as you get your message across that Nvidia always good while something is always wrong with AMD; your happy to say "come on lads, we are all hardware enthusiasts here"

Its not hotter and no more hungry than GK110

Last edited:
Soldato

Gcn 2.0 is not gcn 1 or 1.1 though. For all you know amd has made huge improvements in power saving. You are comparing Nvidia's next Gen with Amd's this Gen.

Associate
I agree Maxwell offers a lot. I however think that this years maxwells will be a small performance increase over current as due to the high costs of 20nm and the cost of Rnd for the new architecture they will want at least 2 generations maybe 3 out of it.

I think the series 8xxs will offer a 10-15% improvement while delivering more features on a lower power output. I think they will then refresh a year or so later with an other improvement.

Bottom line its business, there is no point giving the consumer the full potential of the new process and architecture from day one.

Soldato
OP
"but is a hungry / hot arch."

In making what looks like a neutral post, there is still always a caveat with you isn't there?

As long as you get your message across that Nvidia always good while something is always wrong with AMD; your happy to say "come on lads, we are all hardware enthusiasts here"

Its not hotter and no more hungry than GK110

Come on bumhug, let's not get personal. I've had just as many AMD cards as Nvidia ones. I have two AMD cards here atm..

Maxwell is a beast, when Q4 arrives.. You will see..

Back
Top Bottom