• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Nvidia Geforce 'Maxwell' Thread

Soldato
Come on bumhug, let's not get personal. I've had just as many AMD cards as Nvidia ones. I have two AMD cards here atm..

Maxwell is a beast, when Q4 arrives.. You will see..

You have access to the prototypes already??

You can trust me the pics and performance figures! I will make sure they are posted without anyone knowing and delete this post.

Caporegime
Come on bumhug, let's not get personal. I've had just as many AMD cards as Nvidia ones. I have two AMD cards here atm..

Maxwell is a beast, when Q4 arrives.. You will see..

Its nothing personal. but you do come across very bias, almost shill like, very defensive of Nvidia sometimes to the point bordering on insanity, while always picking up on something negative connected to AMD.

I have often been critical of Nvidia when they deserve it, but i have never been one sided in my criticisms, AMD get it just as much when they deserve it.

Soldato
Gcn 2.0 is not gcn 1 or 1.1 though. For all you know amd has made huge improvements in power saving. You are comparing Nvidia's next Gen with Amd's this Gen.

The thing is hardware.fr published a uarch analysis of the GM108.

Each SMX has 4 clusters,just like the GK104 and GK106.

However,unlike with the GK104 which each cluster has a dedicated texture unit,the GM108 shares them between each pair of clusters,reducing the number of units by half.

On top of this unlike the GK104 and GK106,the GM108 only has one GPC,meaning no interconnects are present,which reduces power consumption. One of the main reasons the GF100 had disabled shaders and high power consumption, was due to interconnect problems which Nvidia admitted they had at the time.

Scaled up designs will have multiple GPCs.

So we cannot say whether a scaled up GM108 design on 28NM will be as efficient,plus AMD can also make similar optimisations to their next generation too.

A driving force behind that would be their APUs which are at a process node disadvantage to Intel.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Its nothing personal. but you do come across very bias, almost shill like, very defensive of Nvidia sometimes to the point bordering on insanity, while always picking up on something negative connected to AMD.

I have often been critical of Nvidia when they deserve it, but i have never been one sided in my criticisms, AMD get it just as much when they deserve it.

:D

Caporegime

I bet you was laughing like a goodun when you typed that :D

Soldato
I think Boom is just going through one of those excited phases where he'll sing all day and all night about nvidia :D

He must put his NVIDIA jig on Youtube.

N-V-DIA! MAKES IT FASTER!

N-V-DIA! MAKES IT BETTER!

N-V-DIA! GIVE A STOMPING!

N-V-DIA! INTEL CRYING!

N-V-DIA! AMD FLAILING!

ALL DOWN TO MIGHTY N-V-DIAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

:p

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
You are so weird Bumhug, I'm not biased at all. Why do you always troll people? Not just me, you always have a pop at Gregster, anyone else isn't an die hard AMD fan. That's a trait bordering on insanity :p

I buy AMD and Nvidia. I'm an enthusiast, I like stuff from both camps. My brain is large enough not to get bogged down with petty fanboism :D. What I have seen of Maxwell is getting me very interested for launch in Q4. Stop trying to cause arguments you loon.

Soldato
The thing is hardware.fr published a uarch analysis of the GM108.

Each SMX has 4 clusters,just like the GK104 and GK106.

However,unlike with the GK104 which each cluster has a dedicated texture unit,the GM108 shares them between each pair of clusters,reducing the number of units by half.

On top of this unlike the GK104 and GK106,the GM108 only has one GPC,meaning no interconnects are present,which reduces power consumption. One of the main reasons the GF100 had disabled shaders and high power consumption, was due to interconnect problems which Nvidia admitted they had at the time.

Scaled up designs will have multiple GPCs.

So we cannot say whether a scaled up GM108 design on 28NM will be as efficient,plus AMD can also make similar optimisations to their next generation too.

A driving force behind that would be their APUs which are at a process node disadvantage to Intel.

Yea with all that in mind Boom needs to relax before he explodes.

Soldato
OP
I think Boom is just going through one of those excited phases where he'll sing all day and all night about nvidia :D

Exactly man, nothing wrong with getting excited for new stuff :D If we didn't get exited about things, we would all end up as pessimistic and bumhug and mankini :p how can you be an enthusiast if you're not enthusiastic..

Permabanned
I was an AMD fanboy when they made good CPU's (not talking ATI GPU's).

The Intel 2 Core Duo ended that though.

My 1st PC in 2001 (grew up with Commore's /Amiga's) CPU 1.2GHZ updated to 1.4GHZ Thunderbird and GPU was a G-Force 2 GTS Ultra, think it cost about same as todays high end GPU's so nothing is new there.

Compared to my mates rigs like Tiny/Time it was a beast so was the 60GB HDD a that time 10-30GB was normal LOL.

TBH I do not get as much a woody as I used to with new hardware.

Last edited:
Caporegime
You are so weird Bumhug, I'm not biased at all. Why do you always troll people? Not just me, you always have a pop at Gregster, anyone else isn't an die hard AMD fan. That's a trait bordering on insanity :p

I buy AMD and Nvidia. I'm an enthusiast, I like stuff from both camps. My brain is large enough not to get bogged down with petty fanboism :D. What I have seen of Maxwell is getting me very interested for launch in Q4. Stop trying to cause arguments you loon.

Calling me a loon is probably the most accurate description you have made of anything in recent times, there is hope for you yet. :D

Soldato
Boomstick777 said:
Nvidia went light last time with the first round of Kepler cards. If they release a full fat Maxwell part from the get go on 20nm. AMD could be in trouble given they have to stick with GCN, hot/power hungry.. While Nvidia Maxwell architecture's performance per watt is phenomenal.

My prediction is the GTX 880 will be the return of Nvidia having a genuine big lead over AMD. You heard it here first :p

Can quote me in Q4 :D, Maxwell destroying whatever GCN cards come next.. Even a washed out Mantle API won't help em :p
The Nvidia corporation won't be having any of that. Where is the extra profit in that?

6b64.jpg

I reckon 10-15% faster than 780Ti, this will be their middle cards, will save the badboy for when AMD release their next gen, then counter it with the bigger cards.

If Nvidia just released a mammoth card like the 8800GTX everyone would buy one, but they woudn't have anything else to release later so that people don't buy two lots of cards.

Most of the Nvidia fanboys will get suckered into upgrading twice in one gen like they usually do.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom