• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Nvidia Geforce 'Maxwell' Thread

Soldato
Maxwell is a beast, I would go as far to say this is the biggest jump in architecture we have had since the old Nvidia glory days of the 8800 GTX :D

Check out the power consumption on this 28nm card, all that performance and such low power use..

B74u0Bi.png

The high end 20nm Maxwell GPU's are going to lay waste to AMD :p

If that background pic is a newer Dawn/Dusk demo, I want to check out the details if still able to strip her :D

Soldato
OP
Its always fun to see you set youself up for a face full of eggs over and over again :D

I bought a Ton of eggs this time. ;)

You wasted your money bumhug, Maxwell 20nm will pwn AMD. It'll be so far ahead they will probably use the mid-range cards to compete with AMD's high end again..

Should use those eggs to throw at Roy Taylor..

Would be nice if we had an official estimated date for the high end Maxwell's i.e GTX 880/Ti etc... instead of just made up rumours from forums.

Would be nice, sadly wild speculation is all we have at this point..

Caporegime
You wasted your money bumhug, Maxwell 20nm will pwn AMD. It'll be so far ahead they will probably use the mid-range cards to compete with AMD's high end again..

Should use those eggs to throw at Roy Taylor..

Don't be so sure of yourself, Nvidia are not the only ones working on high efficiency GPU's, nor are they the only ones with one on the market.

Here is a 28nm 37 Watt GDDR5 7770

Soldato
Pirate Islands yarr mateys.

I don't think you'll get very far battling the AMD bois on per-watt, which company is known for making massive boilers and which has all the console wins this gen? ;)

Caporegime

I don't think you'll get very far battling the AMD bois on per-watt, which company is known for making massive boilers and which has all the console wins this gen? ;)

Oh i don't know about that, Pitcairn has the same power-consumption as the GTX 66# series Kepler, Hawaii is the same as GK110, not to mention Hawaii is much smaller than GK110, on an AIB cooler the temps are also just as good.

At the end of the day what your looking at is a 37 Watt Radeon 7770 2GB GDDR5.

Its newly released, early days, but i would say they aint worried over Maxwell.

Soldato
OP

I'm not sure if you can call the current consoles 'wins' tbh. I doubt AMD make much on low end CPU with mid end GPU/APU combo. Bread and butter money for AMD, Nvidia obviously weren't bothered, or else would have gone for it.

Be honest I would much rather have an Nvidia GPU in my PS4, if it was Maxwell based even better, performance VS power use is amazing.

I'll be happy with GTX 780Ti performance in a much lower power envelope in the 20nm cards. Although a single card with GTX 780Ti SLI type performance would be awesome. Don't care if it's green or red. It'll be probably be green though, no doubt won't be released until late 2015 though, I imagine they will release the mid-range stuff first to tackle AMD's high end 20nm and then drip feed us the real high end Maxwell stuff later on if/when AMD can compete.

Caporegime
I'm not sure if you can call the current consoles 'wins' tbh. I doubt AMD make much on low end CPU with mid end GPU/APU combo. Bread and butter money for AMD, Nvidia obviously weren't bothered, or else would have gone for it.

Be honest I would much rather have an Nvidia GPU in my PS4.

Of course you would much rather have an Nvidia GPU in consoles, with Microsoft developing DX12 for the XB1 and porting it to PC it might not port so well to Nvidia GPU's give that the XB1 and PS4 are an AMD architecture.

Oh and BTW, AMD's console revenue is about $300m a quarter, or in other words a third of Nvidia's quarterly revenue.

Is Nvidia aren't bothered about the money or the development advantages they are idiots. maybe they are and failed to realise this. ;) or maybe Nvidia just can't provide the technology they are looking for. take your pick from those two options.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
My next build may consist of Maxwell SLI, Haswell-E, watercooled CaseLabs case... Never needed that second kidney.

Same here,

Haswell -E 5820K or 5930K
X99 Motherboard
Maxwell SLI
32GB DDR4
Windows 9 / Direct X 12

Going to be a lot of coin..

Might even upgrade my old trusty Antec ultimate 900 case, had this thing for about 6 years :p

Permabanned
Nvidia said no to both consoles, they cannot make profit on the budget MS+Sony gave as they cost more to make than AMD.

Has nothing to do with who is better.

Google for full info, I did spot some info last week in a thread a bit more detailed than above.

Caporegime
Nvidia said no to both consoles, they cannot make profit on the budget MS+Sony gave as they cost more to make than AMD.

Has nothing to do with who is better.

Google for full info, I did spot some info last week in a thread a bit more detailed than above.

Nvidia Don't make CPU's, if they went with Nvidia they would have had to source a CPU from elsewhere. As it happens AMD had the GPU + CPU combination with the right amount of performance rolled into one nice clean unit. (APU)

In Microsofts's case they also liked HSA, again, something Nvidia couldn't do.

Last edited:
Soldato

Be honest I would much rather have an Nvidia GPU in my PS4, if it was Maxwell based even better, performance VS power use is amazing.

I'll be happy with GTX 780Ti performance in a much lower power envelope in the 20nm cards. Although a single card with GTX 780Ti SLI type performance would be awesome. Don't care if it's green or red. It'll be probably be green though, no doubt won't be released until late 2015 though, I imagine they will release the mid-range stuff first to tackle AMD's high end 20nm and then drip feed us the real high end Maxwell stuff later on if/when AMD can compete.

The ps4 is a good bit of engineering. A cpu and a gpu that's more powerful than a 750ti with pretty low power usage thats designed for 6-7 years usage. Maxwell might tick a lot of boxes in power/performance but have you seen GCN 2 and the answer is no so any basis you have is pointless. Last i heard AMD were making $100 dollars for each ps4 sold. If thats low profit then so be it. Stop making it look like Maxwell is the next coming of Christ based on a low performing scaled down gpu. In it's price bracket all it has going for itself is low power usage and does not fare well compared to Nv and amd competing products. Lets see how Maxwell does when scaled up.Its definitely a step forward but it's next gen v current 2 year old hardware.

Last edited:
Caporegime
The ps4 is a good bit of engineering. A cpu and a gpu that's more powerful than a 750ti with pretty low power usage thats designed for 6-7 years usage. Maxwell might tick a lot of boxes in power/performance but have you seen GCN 2 and the answer is no so any basis you have is pointless. Last i heard AMD were making $100 dollars for each ps4 sold. If thats low profit then so be it. Stop making it look like Maxwell is the next coming of Christ based on a low performing scaled down gpu. In it's price bracket all it has going for itself is low power usage and does not fare well compared to Nv and amd competing products. Lets see how Maxwell does when scaled up.Its definitely a step forward but it next gen v current 2 year old hardware.

do' know, i wouldn't care so much but the 750TI isn't that much more power effisiant that its similar performing AMD counterpart Bonaire. and as i alluded to AMD also have a much more power efficient system in the pipeline and on the market, just not in retail discrete GPU form, yet. AMD already have pretty good GPU's in that space.

They are both designing more and more power efficient systems / architectures, the way some go on its as tho Nvidia are the only ones doing anything like this. almost gleefully so, its painful if not hilarious to read.

More power efficient GPU's are welcome, and both colours are doing exactly that.

The E8860 is a 37W multi-chip-module FCBGA part, with the package measuring 37.5mm x 37.5mm. The GPU has a PCIe 3.0 interface and implements 640 SPs at 625 MHz. The GPU uses GCN similar to the HD7000 series, and is paired with 2GB of GDDR5 at 1125 MHz (4.5 GHz effective). Aside from the usual DX11.1, OpenCL 1.2 and OpenGL 4.2 compatibility we normally see with this GCN, AMD offer a variety of SKUs to cater for the following display output requirements:
http://www.anandtech.com/show/7800/amd-announces-embedded-radeon-e8860-gpu

------------

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom