• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Nvidia Geforce 'Maxwell' Thread

Permabanned
http://www.pcgameshardware.de/Nvidi...880-Leak-Spezifikationen-Maxwell-GPU-1116952/

7.9 Million Transistors
3200 Cores
40 ROPS
4GB DDR5
256-bit-bus
5.7 TFLOPS

image.png

Going 780Ti SLI soon. I don't think I have to worry until the very high end comes? That'll be awhile yet coming from this news.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Gong 780Ti SLI soon. I don't think I have to worry until the very high end comes? That'll be awhile yet coming from this news.

Yeah, looks like Nvidia could be releasing mid-tier stuff to compete with AMD's first round of cards. Guess the very top end stuff could come later on GTX 880 Ti?

Going to stick with my Ti's or join the RED team if they put out a more impressive GPU. I do have my doubts that Nvidia is going to be on a 256 bit-bus though. Maybe this 'leak' is to throw the competition of the scent ;)

Caporegime
Same price as a 780Ti for not much more performance? No thanks...

If those specs are true and it is released at the same price as the 780 Ti I would be very surprised, especially if it supposed to be a mid range card!

Soldato
OP
Same price as a 780Ti for not much more performance? No thanks...

If those specs are true and it is released at the same price as the 780 Ti I would be very surprised, especially if it supposed to be a mid range card!

Like the 680 if Nvidia did this, it's not a 'mid range card' but rather Nvidia's mid-tier, good enough to compete with AMD's first round of cards. Very much like the 7970 VS 680 situation. With the 780's and 290's coming later on.

So the first cards would still be faster than what we have today, they just wouldn't be the fastest from the stable, they would come later.

Really don't fancy being drip fed upgrades again so I'll prob just wait it out until both camps release the full parts. Looks like it could potentially be another boring couple of years in the GPU space, waiting for the real deal to arrive.. My Ti's will do nicely until then though :p

Soldato
GDDR is higher latency and more suited to GPU tasks.

GDDR is not higher latency at all it may take more cycles but it runs faster so the actual response times measured in time are roughly the same as DDR3.

I don't know where this Internet myth came from but people keep repeating it.

Soldato
^ Exactly that. I remember the last time nvidia pulled that stunt with their *high end* GPU...which wasn't...supposed to be their high end part after all.

Soldato
256bit?

Yeah, ok.

^ Exactly that. I remember the last time nvidia pulled that stunt with their *high end* GPU...which wasn't...supposed to be their high end part after all.

256bit? Sounds legit :p

Indeed, looks fake to me. Why on earth would they give their top card lower bandwidth than anything high end from the previous gen? If that card does exist, its more than likely a 770 replacement, not a 780 ti/titan black replacement.

Soldato
OP
Think I'm set on keeping my current setup for a long while. When a single GPU (Nvidia or AMD) can offer the performance of 780Ti SLI and use less power, that's when I'll upgrade.

(Subject to change) :p

Caporegime
Indeed, looks fake to me. Why on earth would they give their top card lower bandwidth than anything high end from the previous gen? If that card does exist, its more than likely a 770 replacement, not a 780 ti/titan black replacement.

Nvidia have had trouble since the 480gtx getting a large die size part on a new process remotely quickly, hence the 680gtx 300mm^2 part instead.

It's also listed as a 7.9 billion transistor part while a 780ti is a 7.1billion transistor part.

New process = roughly double transistor density, high end to high end on different processes usually around double the transistor count.

A new process with 1.9x the transistor density yet barely 10% more transistors screams undoubtedly, midrange.

If you have say low/mid/high end cards on one process with transistor counts of 1/2/4 billion, then you'd expect the next gen new process parts to be 2/4/8 billion transistors.

20nm high end will be between 10-14billion transistors. Usually you get a 50% power reduction, so twice the transistors = same power usage as previous gen. 20nm this time around is said to only be 20% power reduction which is the key problem with it. So we could see 14billion transistors, 80% faster high end, but then it's likely to use 400W. Instead we might see something closer to 30-40% faster, 40-50% higher transistor count and 250-280W.

I've seen a couple rumours that the power reduction was improved towards 30% which would make things a little easier, but 20nm looks a bit of a wash.

We could see what is effectively the current high end shrunk to a midrange part, using about 20% less power. 10% bump in transistor count and a little more performance 10-15% over a 780ti looks sensible for the next gen midrange part. The suggested TDP there pretty much points at the problem of terrible power reduction on 20nm compared to previous new processes. You need both 2x transistor density(or close) and very importantly 50% or more power reduction to achieve double transistor count. Take a current 780ti and make it twice the transistor count and it would be 500W, * 50% power reduction = 250W, 20% power reduction and it's 400W. 250W with a 20% power reduction is 200W, with 10% higher transistor count would be 220W, and the final 10W coming from very high clocked memory to give almost enough bandwidth on a narrow bus and we have an underwhelming card. With 256bit bus you'd expect something that had some serious horsepower for 1080p but be pretty woeful at higher resolutions. Certainly not looking at the first gen of really good at 4k cards there.

This is the exact part I've been saying we'll see for the past year.

AMD/Nvidia at best doing effectively a high end shrink to a midrange part on the next process. 7970/680gtx replacements on 20nm with 290/780 +10-15% performance. 16nm finfet designs a year later for 290/780 replacements with +80% performance.

Comparison of 16nm FinFET 7.5T to 20nm 9T: 37% less power at the same speed, or 26% better performance at the same leakage

Quote on TSMC's process, this is fundamentally why the 16nm process will deliver the 290/780ti replacements. So a 2x 780ti(transistor count and power) would be around 400W on 20nm, but 240W on 16nm. it's really going to make the 7970/680gtx replacements boring. Nvidia is likely to pretty much charge the same as a 780ti for the new card with it being maybe 20% faster at low res, maybe slower at high res) but the performance difference won't be mind blowing. AMD will be cheaper but £350-400 for a card barely faster than 290x just doesn't scream excitement.

Obviously if you have an older card the new cards will be better to upgrade to than a 290/780ti, but if you have a high end card, I think late 2015 for real high end replacements will be the first opportunity for a real game changing level of performance.

Last edited:
Associate
For anyone interested in the compute capabilities of Maxwell, specifically with regards to CUDA programming, here is something I found whilst learning about CUDA:

https://developer.nvidia.com/maxwell-compute-architecture

and

http://devblogs.nvidia.com/parallelforall/5-things-you-should-know-about-new-maxwell-gpu-architecture/

So, it looks like Maxwell is going to be significantly more powerful with CUDA programming - even if that does not necessarily interest you, it could indicate that Maxwell will be a powerhouse of a GPU series all round and so might also be a significant improvement on Kepler for gaming and benchmarking too.

Apologies if this has already been posted.

Soldato
OP
For anyone interested in the compute capabilities of Maxwell, specifically with regards to CUDA programming, here is something I found whilst learning about CUDA:

https://developer.nvidia.com/maxwell-compute-architecture

and

http://devblogs.nvidia.com/parallelforall/5-things-you-should-know-about-new-maxwell-gpu-architecture/

So, it looks like Maxwell is going to be significantly more powerful with CUDA programming - even if that does not necessarily interest you, it could indicate that Maxwell will be a powerhouse of a GPU series all round and so might also be a significant improvement on Kepler for gaming and benchmarking too.

Apologies if this has already been posted.

Yep, gaming, compute, CUDA even mining. Maxwell is going to be awesome.

Imagine we will have to wait till the second wave of Maxwell to get fully enabled chips, but even the first wave should be faster than 780Ti and Titan Black and use much less power.

Going by other rumors AMD's new stuff is looking pretty tasty as well.

Going to be an expensive end to the year as I say I'm going to try and resist the upgrade but inevitably end up buying two GPU's and new CPU, mobo and ram :p

Back
Top Bottom