• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Nvidia Geforce 'Maxwell' Thread

Soldato
If they do come out with an 880 Ti I hope they let people know about it a few months in advance.
Originally I got the 780 1 week before the 780 Ti came out which was just frustrating, I got a refund and got the 780 Ti but it would have been so much easier if they could give us a real product layout and time frame instead of all this BS guess work.

Soldato
OP
Big GM200 core on 20nm with 4GB+ / 512bit bus would make me upgrade on day one.

I think this is going to be a repeat of the last gens though, smaller GM204 followed by a GM200 based Titan card (High price). Then later next year a proper GM200 for the mainstream i.e GTX 880ti..

Milk and repeat.

Last edited:
Soldato
I wish a company would for once be truthful, Just tell the people what they are releasing and when, It's not like they give their items away cheaply.
It would be nice to be able to plan a build a year in advance knowing exactly what is coming out and when.

Soldato

I think this is going to be a repeat of the last gens though, smaller GM204 followed by a GM200 based Titan card (High price). Then later next year a proper GM200 for the mainstream i.e GTX 880ti..

Milk and repeat.

6GB+ thanks boom None of this small 4gb stuff imo for flagship cards

Permabanned

Milk and repeat.

That's why I'm waiting this time. I'm in no rush to upgrade. My Asus 4gb Strikers will hold for me until early next year.

Soldato
I wish a company would for once be truthful, Just tell the people what they are releasing and when, It's not like they give their items away cheaply.
It would be nice to be able to plan a build a year in advance knowing exactly what is coming out and when.

partly because they don't know exactly, and partly because tipping your hand to your competitors would be financial suicide

Soldato
partly because they don't know exactly, and partly because tipping your hand to your competitors would be financial suicide

Oh trust me they do know, They have this stuff planned out years ahead.

And they wouldn't be "Tipping their hand" so to speak, Releasing a release schedule would be far from financial suicide, Quite dramatic mate lol.

The only info your competition would have would be the general release date and if your competition release early then you can too.

Saying financial suicide is very dramatic and quite an exaggeration, No need for it.

Soldato
OP
That's why I'm waiting this time. I'm in no rush to upgrade. My Asus 4gb Strikers will hold for me until early next year.

Would like to be able to do the same, but have a weakness for new GPU's :o

Plus 20nm hopefully will generate less heat than current cards. My 290X's could heat a stadium. Happy with the performance level but a pair of decent cool running / less power hogging 20nm GPU's would be ideal.

6GB+ thanks boom None of this small 4gb stuff imo for flagship cards

Would be nice but Nvidia always a bit stingy on the vram. The next Titan could well have 8GB and GM200 but likely have a massive price premium, the way things are going now it may even come in closer to the £1000 than the old Titan's did.

As for these cheaper cards rumors, I don't know if you guys remember pre GTX 680 launch, it started with a loads of rumors of a midrange card that was powerful and going to have excellent price. When Nvidia saw how lackluster the 7970 was, this midrange card became the GTX 680 and was priced as a high end model. Some will argue this but is an accepted fact by most that the GTX 680 was a midrange card clocked to compete with AMD's flagship 7970. The real high end cards GTX 780 780 ti became the next gen.

I'm not expecting cheaper prices anytime soon, if anything they are getting progressively worse each gen.

Last edited:
Soldato
Would like to be able to do the same, but have a weakness for new GPU's :o

Plus 20nm hopefully will generate less heat than current cards. My 290X's could heat a stadium. Happy with the performance level but a pair of decent cool running / less power hogging 20nm GPU's would be ideal.

I thought my 290X was going to melt the side window of my 540 or burn the cables at the back lol :p

Soldato
How long until this shipping data is made confidential?

Seems to me NV wouldn't be happy with AMD knowing their plans well in advance like this.

Soldato
Oh trust me they do know, They have this stuff planned out years ahead.

And they wouldn't be "Tipping their hand" so to speak, Releasing a release schedule would be far from financial suicide, Quite dramatic mate lol.

The only info your competition would have would be the general release date and if your competition release early then you can too.

Saying financial suicide is very dramatic and quite an exaggeration, No need for it.

Whilst it is true that they have products in general terms planned out years ahead of time, they don't have actual release dates planned out, release dates are governed by a lot of factors such as yields, actual performance and yes, what the competition are doing, among other things

so yeah, they could probably say "we are aiming to release new products roughly Q1 2015", and two things would happen, first off about 6 months before January 2015, people would stop buying their products and wait for the next gen, and second, when they don't release because of delays, everyone will hate on them for missing the "promised" release date

suicide may well have been an exaggeration, however it is not an exaggeration to say that giving out hoped release dates a year in advance would cost them millions of dollars in sales one way or the other, and I don't know about you but millions of dollars in lost revenue would concern me to say the least

Titan's reportedly sold very well, and perhaps much better than even Nvidia were expecting... what might have happened had they announced the 780 at the same time? still think they would have sold as many Titan's early on?

Back
Top Bottom