• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Nvidia Geforce 'Maxwell' Thread

Soldato
28nm Yuck. Still, they might be able to pull some magic from it still and it could be very quick but I shant hold my breath.

I won't be buying 28nm again, regardless of Nvidia or AMD gpus. Spent enough on this transistor size already and I highly doubt they can be more than 10% faster than a 780ti even if they are still 28nm due to the core size. Sure they'll probably have more vram, but I just aren't buying it.

20nm or go home tbh!

Soldato
Screw 20nm I'm holding out for 10nm.

Do I detect a hint of sarcasm? :p

Maybe if they bring out some new features they might sell a lot of 28nm Maxwells, hard to imagine the sales will be anywhere near what they want though, just the people pushing the boundaries at 4K and those who always have to have the fastest card/s.

Soldato
While i can understand a lot of us not wanting another 28nm ,If it shows a significant boost over what the top cards are atm eg 25%+ then i dont have a issue with them

bru

bru

Soldato
What options do nvidia have to get more out of 28nm?

Well looking at the 750 cards they increased the size over GK107 by 25% but transistor count by 43% (118mm² - 148mm² and 1.3B- 1.87B respectively). This gives about double the GPU power of the previous GK107 card at nearly half the power consumption.
So if the GM104 follows a similar pattern the new card will be about double the GPu power of the 680/770 or about the performance of a 690. Now of course they could make the chip even bigger (the GK104 is 294mm²) and push the power envelope a bit more but if they do that then where will that leave the GM110, if the GM104 gets too big the GM110 will be massive and truly un-manufacturable.

Associate
It wouldn't surprise me if we do see a jump straight to 16nm either skipping 20nm entirely or using it very briefly (although I'd imagine the latter wouldn't be very financially sensible for any company involved).

Man of Honour
It was pretty much a given that the high end Maxwell wasn't coming on 20nm anyhow (nvidia was pushing for sub 20nm for the GK110 replacement) - 28nm Maxwell proper would be an act of desperation however - it was designed from the ground up with 20nm kits and would require a certain amount of not inexpensive reworking and extra debugging to produce on 28nm. There is a lot of noise about sub-20nm even down to 10nm being available by the end of 2015* but given how things have gone lately that probably means mid 2017 for anything other than 14/16nm hybrids.

I wouldn't use 750 cards to much through as any real guide to anything as what is possible there in a smaller package doesn't translate directly to higher end GPUs.

*Samsung having boasted they "could" theoretically produce large complex stuff like GPUs by the end of 2015/early 2016 on 10nm (hence my tongue in cheek post earlier).

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 880 pictured?

DiOB9g8.jpg

Behold, the new NVIDIA graphics card has just been pictured. Thanks to Cloudfire, our dedicated contributor, we might be looking at the first pictures of the second generation Maxwell engineering sample.

A Chinese website called GamerSky has just posted what seems to be a GeForce GTX 880 engineering sample. Of course, we don’t know that for sure, but GamerSky crew titled their post exactly with such codename. We also have the picture of the GPU itself, and judging from the markings (1421A1), it was manufactured somewhere in the 21st week of this year.

http://videocardz.com/50980/nvidia-geforce-gtx-880-pictured

Back
Top Bottom