• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Nvidia Geforce 'Maxwell' Thread

Caporegime
Soldato
It will be March time at a guess. I don't think the Titan Ultra will ever see the light of day personally. 790GTX might be a go however.

I'm guessing May like the 7xx series, A 12 month gap between generations is preferable to customers, Lets people enjoy their purchase and then upgrade once a year :)

Soldato
OP

bru

bru

Soldato
Interesting to see Gameworks listed as one of the things they are going to talk about, may be it might shed some light on the whole Gameworks library issue that has plagued one of the other threads.

Soldato
Maxwell only 2 months after the release of the 780 Ti ?
I hope for their sake it's not released until May like the 780 otherwise Nvidia are going to have a lot of really ****** off people who bought the 780 Ti only 2 months earlier on their hands.
Myself I shall wait for the 9xx series :)

Soldato
Pretty sure the accepted wisdom is Maxwell will not be seen on 28nm and 20nm is middle of the year earliest.

Although they might start hyping big time, Hawaii is putting a hurt on them and potentially has a full fat part still to come. Gotta play the FUD game if you ain't got the chips... ;)

Permabanned
Pretty sure the accepted wisdom is Maxwell will not be seen on 28nm and 20nm is middle of the year earliest.

Although they might start hyping big time, Hawaii is putting a hurt on them and potentially has a full fat part still to come. Gotta play the FUD game if you ain't got the chips... ;)

I disagree Hawaii isn't putting the squeeze on nvidia, you can't get 290/x with a custom cooler for weeks, now the black screen issues and the heat issues with ref. for most it's easier to get a 780

Soldato
Maxwell only 2 months after the release of the 780 Ti ?
I hope for their sake it's not released until May like the 780 otherwise Nvidia are going to have a lot of really ****** off people who bought the 780 Ti only 2 months earlier on their hands.
Myself I shall wait for the 9xx series :)

I bought the Ti knowing full well I wouldn't have it more than a few months. You can't expect NV to hold out :) GK110 has been around long enough.

I wouldn't get too excited about Sunday though, will probably be quite boring in terms of end user information.

I've already put bettings down that the high end desktop varients of Maxwell, 28mn or otherwise will be here in or around July.

Soldato
Not at all lol. Not something to shout to the world about when you're the office joke in one of the biggest GPU firms.

You know he's a complete chode when he's posting things like this:

http://semiaccurate.com/2012/11/14/microsoft-has-failed/

The whole monopoly debate is so old. Fell asleep when he starts laying into Windows Phone, which actually if you'd do the research isn't doing too badly in market shares.

Last edited:
Caporegime

Lol, Hawaii putting hurt on Nvidia? Hardly.

Anyway, I'm excited about news on Maxwell. I will be getting a Maxwell generation card to replace my sli 670 ( hopefully one that has more power than my two 670's)

Last edited:
Caporegime
Soldato
Lol, Hawaii putting hurt on Nvidia? Hardly.

There was a good analyst's report on this out a few weeks ago.

Due to their PC CPU income and console GPU design wins, in the short to medium term, AMD's gross margins in the PC GPU market don't need to rise. All AMD need to do is maintain performance parity with NVIDIA in the PC GPU market, this will strangle NVidia's R&D spend as they need higher margins.

We might not see it's affects for two more generations however, in simpler terms, AMD can afford to keep knocking out cheaper PC cards than Nvidia and Nvidia cannot.

If Nvidia can deliver GPU's which are much faster than AMD's then, back to square one (see: Titan vs. 7970, $1000USD vs $350USD part).

Maxwell is a much more important generation of chip than the 680/780 generation were for above reasons.

Back
Top Bottom